Automatic driving... Opinions please?

Watch
CeeDixon
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
So I'm currently taking a bit of a break from driving in a manual car as I'm just getting so frustrated and stressed out. I have so much trouble with controlling the clutch that I can't concentrate on other skills such as steering and being safe on the road.
So, just recently I have considered having a trial lesson in an automatic, to see whether this helps me as I know for definite that the clutch is my issue. I know I might improve, but I'm more than happy for now to learn in an automatic and drive an automatic, if it suits me.

Has anybody had experiences with automatics? Are they easier to drive? Has anybody been in the same position as me? Just wondering as it certainly seems easier, but I don't want to get a glorified opinion of it and not enjoy it in the end! Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CeeDixon)
So I'm currently taking a bit of a break from driving in a manual car as I'm just getting so frustrated and stressed out. I have so much trouble with controlling the clutch that I can't concentrate on other skills such as steering and being safe on the road.
So, just recently I have considered having a trial lesson in an automatic, to see whether this helps me as I know for definite that the clutch is my issue. I know I might improve, but I'm more than happy for now to learn in an automatic and drive an automatic, if it suits me.

Has anybody had experiences with automatics? Are they easier to drive? Has anybody been in the same position as me? Just wondering as it certainly seems easier, but I don't want to get a glorified opinion of it and not enjoy it in the end! Thanks guys

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well obviously they are much easier to drive, one less pedal, no gears, stick it into drive and go off, obviously you need to change it for certain conditions. That said, once you get an auto licence you can't buy a manual car.

Clutch isn't so hard, really easy, just need to make sure you are lifting off smoothly and applying the right amount of gas and you are off.
az08
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I used to think the same, that I was never going to be able to master a manual, as after 10 hours I was still making mistakes changing gears and braking, specifically the clutch.

I thought about doing automatic but everyone I spoke to that already has a licence, and my instructor, said to stick to manual. Thats what I did and passed first time, now I can drive both. It just takes practice. The more you practice with the clutch the better you will get.

I drive my girlfriend's automatic when I visit her in the USA and it is wayyyyyy easier, but she wants me to teach her manual and wishes she knows it. Auto's are a lot more expensive when renting cars abroad etc too.
Beanss123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have never tried driving an automatic car so I cannot comment on how much easier it is, but if I were you I would stick with the manual!

I don't think I was a natural at all and it wasn't until about 15 or 20 hours that it all clicked for me! The only way to improve is to keep practicing, and you'll get the hang of it, by the time you are taking your test it will all seem easy! And after you have passed, and had experience on the roads, you won't even think about it, you just find your feet and hands do what they need to do, without any conscious thought!

The best thing you can do is just force yourself to carry on, once you pass it's the best thing ever, and it makes all that frustration and feeling like you can't do it worth it! Everyone feels like you do (or at least most do) you just have to keep at it

Good luck! I hope you decide to carry on with manual, but if you don't it really doesn't matter as long as you are happy with what you choose to do!
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Automatics are a lot more expensive to buy and run, so keep that in mind. If that's not a big issue, then go for it, you can always go for a manual license later on in life once you've got a lot of road experience as it'd just be a case of booking in some lessons to learn gears and then taking your manual test.
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Automatics are harder apparently to crawl out of junctions because they react slower than a manual.

i didn't crasp clutch control to very long in, and i really wanted an automatic.

one of my friends tried driving a manual for 5 months and couldn't grasp it, moved to auto and passed only 2/3 months later.

I think it's dependent on how many lessons you do.
if you only on 10-15 hours then I would recommend sticking at it. Clutch control comes with time and praticse, some people it's so quick but it took me bloody ages! probanly atleast 20 hours, so most the time I was learning, I was learning clutch. Then it just clicks and you got it!
CeeDixon
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thanks guys I think I just need to try it, and I'll know straight away. I'm not too bothered about the expense, I'm prepared for it if I'm more comfortable with an automatic! If I learn in one, then I'll know all the little tricks and stuff that come with driving one, and if I really want to try manual later on in life I can try again! Thanks for the help though, there's so many different opinions that I think I'm just gonna have to try it out for myself haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Beanss123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well let us know how you get on with an automatic and whether you find it easier, I'd be intrigued to know the difference as I have never driven one! good luck!
Tillybop
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by CeeDixon)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi, a bit of a late response.

Personally, I really struggled to learn gears. A year and a half into lessons and I still struggled with co-ordinating my feet and hands and steering at the same time. I persisted, and I managed to pass first time after a LOT of lessons. I really tried hard, and always felt incredibly stressed out and frustrated that I couldn't co-ordinate myself. When I passed I started driving an automatic and found it so much easier. I began to really enjoy driving about a lot more, and I found myself feeling much more in control of the car. Definitely go for automatic - I wish I hadn't struggled along and wasted so much time on gears (not to mention the money I spent!).

Good luck, hope it goes well
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (10)
13.51%
I need help researching courses (6)
8.11%
I need help with filling out the application form (4)
5.41%
I need help with my personal statement (30)
40.54%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (19)
25.68%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
2.7%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
4.05%

Watched Threads