The Student Room Group

Desperately need help!! important decisions to make!

Hey. So I am repeating year 12. So AS Levels. And have been doing a bit of A2 too. I have been considering not coming back next year to complete A levels. I have no idea what I want to do in life, and don't think I will for a long time. I don't even know if I want to go to university at all. I feel like I am going to be wasting next year. I've been debating taking a gap year and then doing a foundation course or something (if that is possible). I just don't think completing my A levels is the right decision for me anymore but I also don't want to regret it later. Any advice would be extremely helpful! Don't really have anyone to talk to about this right now.
You are not the only one in this situation. :smile:
Reply 2
In honesty, I think you should try to get 3 full a-levels, just so that as many doors are open to you as possible :smile: if you want a gap year after that, go for it. There's no hurry. At the same time, my brother dropped out of college, and after 7 year of work and part-time courses then decided to attend uni, so don't fret. Whichever route you choose can be changed in the long term if you change your mind:smile:
Reply 3
thanks. its not great is it? Just wish I knew what to do?
Academia is not for everyone which is understandable.

Most probably A levels may not be the right thing for me, but its better to give it a go. :smile:

If you do end up faiing then don't losse hope as there is always more than 1 way to acomplish something.

You should question yoursef:

What do you like i.e footbal, anysport or playing an instrument.

What are you good at/what you enjoy. For example you may be creative or mathsy.

Given little things like this a think will help you gain an insight in what career to go to.

You should do thinkg because like them not because of ist prestige etc
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Ezme39
In honesty, I think you should try to get 3 full a-levels, just so that as many doors are open to you as possible :smile: if you want a gap year after that, go for it. There's no hurry. At the same time, my brother dropped out of college, and after 7 year of work and part-time courses then decided to attend uni, so don't fret. Whichever route you choose can be changed in the long term if you change your mind:smile:

Thanks! I just don't know if I can cope with another year. I am soooooo bad at exams and find them extremely hard to pass. I don't think I am even going to pass most of them this year either
Don't quit-A levels are the most important qualifications for those who do not aspire to go to uni.
I understand how difficult this must be for you but I do strongly urge you to complete your A Levels as they will act as a springboard for you to access various positions and jobs later on in the future.

At the moment if you choose not to complete your A Levels there are Apprenticeships available to you where you gain experience and get paid a small fee for your work.

If you persevere with your A Levels you can opt for a Higher Apprenticeship as an alternative to University. Higher Apprenticeships are considerably academic but you gain a real wage (Many offer wages of £10K in the first year which is pretty impressive without a degree) and can lead to an equivalent qualification (Whether than be a NVQ or other) so you gain further qualifications which allow you to be flexible with what you do later on. Do note for Higher Apprenticeships you generally need three A Levels grades A*-C (In some cases that's A*-B) so it's not an "easy option" to take instead of University.

I recommend you look here: http://www.notgoingtouni.co.uk

Let us know how you get on!
Reply 8
thank you soo much for the advice. You guys have definitely brought up some points that I hadn't thought of which are important for me to consider when i decide what to do.

Quick Reply

Latest