What's everyone's opinion on cramming?

Watch
endsp1el
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know people say cramming doesn't work but whenever I've revised under pressure and in a short period of time for a test the day before, I've gotten the better grades than say if I'd been revising for a month before

Typically I don't revise anyway and I'm currently focusing on my Chemistry and Biology and I know that it's unrealistic that cramming would work for them.

However, what's everyone's opinions on cramming for Maths and Geography? Realistically, all you can do for Geography is learn your case studies and as long as I have the facts for the hour and a bit in the exam hall, does it matter? Also, for maths you can't really revise anyway so a few papers the day before with a teacher may help? Idk, I just want everyone's opinion on whether cramming would actually work :P
TheWaffle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by endsp1el)
I know people say cramming doesn't work but whenever I've revised under pressure and in a short period of time for a test the day before, I've gotten the better grades than say if I'd been revising for a month before

Typically I don't revise anyway and I'm currently focusing on my Chemistry and Biology and I know that it's unrealistic that cramming would work for them.

However, what's everyone's opinions on cramming for Maths and Geography? Realistically, all you can do for Geography is learn your case studies and as long as I have the facts for the hour and a bit in the exam hall, does it matter? Also, for maths you can't really revise anyway so a few papers the day before with a teacher may help? Idk, I just want everyone's opinion on whether cramming would actually work :P
I would not advice cramming for maths as you don't just have to regurgitate information but apply complex solutions to problems. Just do as many practice papers as you can.

For geography I wouldn't advise it either. At A Level people who only cram don't tend to do well at all in my opinion.
Ben4
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by endsp1el)

I dont advise cramming, im not going to do it for my upcoming AS exams but sometimes if we have a mock or a class test, i cram the night before and find that I actually remember a great deal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
endsp1el
Rep:
?
I do kind of see what you mean but for Geography it's what I want to drop (I think) and the grade boundaries are super low!! 69% for an A and I would say I 100% know all of the theory behind it, just not the small facts that get you into the top grades..but surely if I learnt them all the day before, I would do fine?

In my mocks I only dropped 4 marks between my two Geography papers and I crammed for them..
pixie girl
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I remember leaving my GCSE Geography case studies too late, partially because as a class we were way behind and so I was given about ten of the things about a week before the exam. I can't remember how much I actually retained for the exam, but for me the stress really wasn't worth it - going into an exam hall desperately trying to remind yourself you know your stuff isn't a good mindset to be in, and I was far less anxious going into exams I knew I had revised properly for. I'm pretty sure I knew most of the information though, so I guess it worked, but I would recommend trying to spread out your revision a little bit to save yourself the monotony of spending hours trying to get endless pointless statistics to stay in your brain. Maybe while you revise for science you could learn the broader facts of the case studies - rather than all the numbers, just the general background information or something - but that's just to make it easier, I think if you don't mind it being really boring you'll be able to do it. And as for maths, as pointless as it seems I would recommend past papers because often it's the way they word the questions that's difficult, not the maths itself.
endsp1el
Rep:
?
(Original post by pixie girl)
I remember leaving my GCSE Geography case studies too late, partially because as a class we were way behind and so I was given about ten of the things about a week before the exam. I can't remember how much I actually retained for the exam, but for me the stress really wasn't worth it - going into an exam hall desperately trying to remind yourself you know your stuff isn't a good mindset to be in, and I was far less anxious going into exams I knew I had revised properly for. I'm pretty sure I knew most of the information though, so I guess it worked, but I would recommend trying to spread out your revision a little bit to save yourself the monotony of spending hours trying to get endless pointless statistics to stay in your brain. Maybe while you revise for science you could learn the broader facts of the case studies - rather than all the numbers, just the general background information or something - but that's just to make it easier, I think if you don't mind it being really boring you'll be able to do it. And as for maths, as pointless as it seems I would recommend past papers because often it's the way they word the questions that's difficult, not the maths itself.
Oh wow I didn't revise for GCSE geography until the night before and I maxed out my UMS.. I think that was just luck though!:confused:
But yeah I think I'm going to have to seriously start doing some work or I'll probably fail all four
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (133)
29.69%
No (315)
70.31%

Watched Threads