The Student Room Group

I was sexually harassed outside of a McDonalds.

This happened earlier today at around 7. The drive thru was busy as you can imagine since it's Friday so I parked the car and thought it'd be quicker to walk in and order from inside. Unfortunately this was not the case as there was a long queue inside. I decided my only option was to join the line of agitated people and wait to be called upon.

No more than 2 mins in the line a group of 19-25 year old men were making crude comments about my appearance and asking me if I had a boyfriend. I ignored them but they got rowdy they were probably drinking there's a pub next door. I decided to leave the queue and walk up to a member of staff, a man, and informed him of the persistent comments and the sexual harassment I experienced he told me that there was nothing they could do apart from take a note of my order and they bring it over to my car. I was shocked and frustrated so I left the place still hungry and drove off.

When I got home I told my mum and she said I could report the guys by going to the local police station and making the mcdonalds provide the cctv.

Is this a good idea?

Scroll to see replies

Not sure if serious... you want to report some guys to the police because they asked you if you had a boyfriend?

:rofl:
It seems like an overreaction if they were just being dicks and you walked away and that was that. Obviously not good behaviour but what is actually going to come of it, if you go to the police.
they wanted to see your burger
Reply 4
Original post by Daenerys...
This happened earlier today at around 7. The drive thru was busy as you can imagine since it's Friday so I parked the car and thought it'd be quicker to walk in and order from inside. Unfortunately this was not the case as there was a long queue inside. I decided my only option was to join the line of agitated people and wait to be called upon.

No more than 2 mins in the line a group of 19-25 year old men were making crude comments about my appearance and asking me if I had a boyfriend. I ignored them but they got rowdy they were probably drinking there's a pub next door. I decided to leave the queue and walk up to a member of staff, a man, and informed him of the persistent comments and the sexual harassment I experienced he told me that there was nothing they could do apart from take a note of my order and they bring it over to my car. I was shocked and frustrated so I left the place still hungry and drove off.

When I got home I told my mum and she said I could report the guys by going to the local police station and making the mcdonalds provide the cctv.

Is this a good idea?

Where's the sexual harassment?
Reply 5

Is this a good idea?

If you think it's a good idea, then do it. They shouldn't have been making crude comments like that as it shows no respect to anyone else and they also should have realized they come across threatening in a large group. It's bad that McDonalds didn't do anything about it, they could have chucked them out at least.

If you don't want to go the police, there might be a police community support officer that could help, perhaps they can warn them not to do this sort of behaviour in the future.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
I am not surprised that my experience is being downplayed by the usual suspects. :rolleyes: I get comments about my looks from men all the time, I am used to it. This time what frustrated me was the closeness of the situation i.e. I could have been assaulted had I stayed there for longer and how the on-lookers pretended they didn't see or hear what was going on. Plenty of men from all ages were about me yet none stepped forward.

Original post by Adipoptosis
It seems like an overreaction if they were just being dicks and you walked away and that was that. Obviously not good behaviour but what is actually going to come of it, if you go to the police.

I have no idea what would come of it probably not much however my mother feels I have duty to report these people and I feel like I need to speak up for myself as well.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Trypsin
Where's the sexual harassment?

Sexual harassment is not just rape there's a broad spectrum beginning from coercion and ending with rape. I suspect you think rape is the only form of sexual harassment.
Personally i'd just ignore it.

It sucks they made you feel uncomfortable, but i doubt anything will come out of some words being spoken to be honest.

If you're that upset about it, pursue it.
That sucks. Must suck being a girl :redface:
Reply 10
I could have been assaulted had I stayed there for longer and how the on-lookers pretended they didn't see or hear what was going on. Plenty of men from all ages were about me yet none stepped forward.

Do you really think someone's going to assault you in a packed fast food restaurant?
tbh although it must have been horrible to experience it's just best to leave it unless they start stalking you or if something like this happens again with the same guys then call the police but other than that there's nothing much you can do
That is not really the sort of thing you can report, there wasn't even any physical contact. I understand that it was intimidating but sexual harassment is over-egging it a bit. Otherwise I would be entitled to call any random thing some chav shouts at me in the street an instance of harassment. I could if I wanted and it does feel enough like harassment but all it does is dilute the word.

Not sure what you expected the bloke at the till to do about it or any of the random male onlookers.
(edited 8 years ago)
I am not surprised that my experience is being downplayed by the usual suspects. :rolleyes: I get comments about my looks from men all the time, I am used to it. This time what frustrated me was the closeness of the situation i.e. I could have been assaulted had I stayed there for longer and how the on-lookers pretended they didn't see or hear what was going on. Plenty of men from all ages were about me yet none stepped forward.

I have no idea what would come of it probably not much however my mother feels I have duty to report these people and I feel like I need to speak up for myself as well.

From the sounds of it they haven't actually harassed you, unless you haven't told us something in your OP. Sure they were being dicks, but as others here have said, they may not have realised how threatening they come across in groups.

It's easier said than done, but the best thing to do in that situation would probably be to call them out on it - embarrassing them loudly, in front of everyone, may have encouraged them to back down, or do as you did, get yourself out of the situation.
Is there a part you omitted? Because asking if you had a boyfriend isn't sexual harassment, and so far the people who have pointed that out have been slandered by you. I'm not taking a dig by asking, genuinely curious if something else happened that you didn't want to share.

Incidentally do you have a boyfriend? How does he feel about it? Does he think it was sexual harassment?
Reply 15
The title says "OUTSIDE" of a Mcdonalds, but, you said you were harrassed INSIDE then"I left the place still hungry and drove off."

Doesn't add up for me!
Reply 16
Yeah I wouldn't really say they'd done anything wrong other than be obnoxious men. I mean a creepy 60 year old man walked passed me, sniffed me and pinched my bum last week
It's not right what happened to you but do you really think investigating this is the best use of police time?
Not condoning what they did, but I think you're overreacting a bit. Not surprised nobody stepped in tbh, bit of a risk of getting their arse beat by a group of potentially drunk lads when they've only made a few lewd remarks, which again isn't good and I'm not downplaying it but I'm sure someone would have stepped in if they started getting in your personal space. I think it was a generous offer by the employee to have your food brought out to you, as opposed to trying to throw the guys out and potentially causing a huge scene and putting the rest of their customers, yourself included, in danger.

P.S. I doubt it'd be worth reporting it tbh, the police won't get involved unless an actual crime was commited, and making lewd comments towards someone isn't a felony :redface:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Is there a part you omitted? Because asking if you had a boyfriend isn't sexual harassment, and so far the people who have pointed that out have been slandered by you. I'm not taking a dig by asking, genuinely curious if something else happened that you didn't want to share.

Incidentally do you have a boyfriend? How does he feel about it? Does he think it was sexual harassment?

I stated in the OP that they made crude comments about appearance. Asking me if I had a boyfriend was just a part of it.

Sexual harassment includes many things...
· Actual or attempted rape or sexual assault.
· Unwanted pressure for sexual favors.
· Unwanted deliberate touching, leaning over, cornering, or pinching.
· Unwanted sexual looks or gestures.
· Unwanted letters, telephone calls, or materials of a sexual nature.

Definition: Unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physicalconduct of a sexual nature.

This is not a debate thread. Please leave your male agenda at the door.

Quick Reply