Arthraxia
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I'm applying to unis next year for History courses and have to have my first draft of my PS handed in within a month!

My question is that, when writing about the books you've read, A. do you have to include the author? If yes, can you just put their surname or do you have to put their full names? An example would be that I've read Peter Rex's "1066", but can I just call it Rex's "1066"?

B. I wanted to mention a historical debate that I'd watched on YouTube between Jeremy Paxman and Andrew Roberts, but, if I refer to the name of the show, can I just refer to them as just Paxman and Roberts or is this considered informal and rude?

C. If I've read a book with a long title that takes up a lot of characters as it as a kind of "sub-title", do I have to refer to it as it's full name? An example would be "House of Godwine: The History of a Dynasty" or can I just refer to it as "House of Godwine"??

Thank you for your help!
Snufkin
Badges: 21
Report 5 years ago
A) You do need to mention the author but surnames are fine.

B) I think you should use full names when referring to people in videos, films, documentaries, TV clips etc.

C) I do not think it advisable to shorten book names, I certainly didn't. The only exception would be dates, for example I would say Applebaum's "Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe" rather than "Iron Curtain: The Crushing of Eastern Europe 1944-1956"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.18%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.36%
Live streaming events (51)
8.75%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (135)
23.16%
An in-person event when available (129)
22.13%