The Student Room Group

Which A level subject should I take if I want to study law in the future?

Hey everyone! Can anyone tell me which A-level subject should I take if I want to study law degree? I've done some research recently and most people recommend to take English literature, history, geography.

But my college just offer science subjects, accounting, business, economics, law, mathematics. In this condition, which subjects should I take in order to fulfill the law school entry requirements? Especially for Cambridge university. I know this sounds impossible to enter Cambridge but I want to give it a try hehe

Which subject is the best to take? Btw, I'm thinking to take four subjects in A-level. Thanks guys! :biggrin:
Why not go to another sixth form/college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by trevorwaris
Hey everyone! Can anyone tell me which A-level subject should I take if I want to study law degree? I've done some research recently and most people recommend to take English literature, history, geography.

But my college just offer science subjects, accounting, business, economics, law, mathematics. In this condition, which subjects should I take in order to fulfill the law school entry requirements? Especially for Cambridge university. I know this sounds impossible to enter Cambridge but I want to give it a try hehe

Which subject is the best to take? Btw, I'm thinking to take four subjects in A-level. Thanks guys! :biggrin:

I don't think it really matters too much. For Law, the subject choice advice tends to be "4 respected academic subjects of your choosing".

From those listed subjects, I'd personally go for Maths. It is a respected, logical subject.

edit: sorry misread your post. I thought you just needed a fourth option on top of English lit, history, and geography.

From those options, I'd do Maths, Economics, and 2 from bio/chem/physics.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Maths, Eco, Bio and Phys/Chem.
Reply 4
Original post by Ben4
Why not go to another sixth form/college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your reply! I prefer A-level course compare to sixth form :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I don't think it really matters too much. For Law, the subject choice advice tends to be "4 respected academic subjects of your choosing".

From those listed subjects, I'd personally go for Maths. It is a respected, logical subject.

edit: sorry misread your post. I thought you just needed a fourth option on top of English lit, history, and geography.

From those options, I'd do Maths, Economics, and 2 from bio/chem/physics.

Thanks for your reply and suggestions! :smile:
is it fine if I take bio, maths, econs, law?
Reply 6
Original post by vela1
Maths, Eco, Bio and Phys/Chem.

Thanks for your suggestions! I would consider the combination of subjects you recommend me just now :smile:

Would probs be OK, but Law doesn't tend to be as respected as other academic subjects. I imagine it's OK as a fourth subject though.

I would recommend swapping law for something else, Law isn't the most respected A level
Reply 9
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Would probs be OK, but Law doesn't tend to be as respected as other academic subjects. I imagine it's OK as a fourth subject though.

Ohhhh! How about Further mathematics?
Original post by Buxtonwater
I would recommend swapping law for something else, Law isn't the most respected A level

I see! What if I swap law to physics? I've heard that physics is the hardest subject and consume a lot of time when study. I'm scared that I can't cope the physics workload
Ohhhh! How about Further mathematics?

Yeah, I think that would be OK, just check that universities view it as a separate subject to Maths, when applying for Law. It's theoretically possible that they view it as too similar to maths to be a distinct subject. But I don't know how much of a problem that would be.

Swapping Law for Chem or Physics would definitely be OK.
Reply 12
Original post by Buxtonwater
Law isn't the most respected A level

How come?
Original post by kka25
How come?

Soft.

Quick Reply

Latest