The Student Room Group

Daughter of Somali immigrants accepted into all 8 Ivy League schools

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/minnesota-teen-munira-khalif-accepted-all-eight-ivy-league-schools-n338661

As a Somali immigrant myself I feel incredibly proud and inspired by this story, I love it when ethnic minorities are represented in such a fantastic way. This story would break regardless of whether the student was an immigrant or a national/native, it's a remarkable achievement and I'm very happy for her :biggrin:

What do you guys think?

Scroll to see replies

Very impressive indeed :biggrin:
nice
Reply 3
Original post by + polarity -
nice

very
Original post by darkred
very

quite
Reply 5
Original post by + polarity -
quite

indeed
Original post by darkred
indeed

verily
anyone else feel very inadequate now? ahaha no if anything I'm more motivated than ever.
don't let anyone tell you it's impossible :biggrin: !!!
Not to knock her achievement, but the elephant in the room here is the extent to which affirmative action played a part, something which these schools are infamous for.

The same goes for Harold Ekeh, a Nigerian immigrant who has also been accepted by all eight Ivies, and Kwasi Enin the year before, the son of Ghanaian immigrants.

There are currently a few lawsuits agains US universities against their affirmative action practices, as there seems to be a large systematic discrepancy in admissions standards between white American students and minorities, which would be deemed outrageous here in the UK.

"The lawsuit cites a 2009 study by Princeton sociologists that concluded that while the average Asian American applicant needed a much higher 1460 SAT score to be admitted, a white student with similar GPA and other qualifications only needed a score of 1320, while blacks needed 1010 and Hispanics 1190."
Original post by The Polymath
Not to knock her achievement, but the elephant in the room here is the extent to which affirmative action played a part, something which these schools are infamous for.

The same goes for Harold Ekeh, a Nigerian immigrant who has also been accepted by all eight Ivies, and Kwasi Enin the year before, the son of Ghanaian immigrants.

There are currently a few lawsuits agains US universities against their affirmative action practices, as there seems to be a large systematic discrepancy in admissions standards between white American students and minorities, which would be deemed outrageous here in the UK.

"The lawsuit cites a 2009 study by Princeton sociologists that concluded that while the average Asian American applicant needed a much higher 1460 SAT score to be admitted, a white student with similar GPA and other qualifications only needed a score of 1320, while blacks needed 1010 and Hispanics 1190."

You're making a fair point here and there is no denying that affirmative actions played a role here but these schools surely wouldn't excuse and give a pass to these minority students to dodge discrimination accusations otherwise, they receive too many applications they're simply too big and at the end of the day it's a business they want the best of the best they can get so although I do agree their ethnic background, financial status etc. puts them in favour in their system, it can't overrun their achievement in the first place and I know that's also what you meant.
Original post by Hatsune Miku
You're making a fair point here and there is no denying that affirmative actions played a role here but these schools surely wouldn't excuse and give a pass to these minority students to dodge discrimination accusations otherwise, they receive too many applications they're simply too big and at the end of the day it's a business they want the best of the best they can get so although I do agree their ethnic background, financial status etc. puts them in favour in their system, it can't overrun their achievement in the first place and I know that's also what you meant.

What exactly do you mean by "excuse and give a pass"? It's pretty clear that they don't simply accept the best applicants, but rather give significant boosts to minorities to promote 'diversity' and a progressive appearance. This is the basis of the lawsuit, along with discrimination against asian and international applicants.

What this means is that these minority students who have been accepted by all eight Ivy league schools may well have failed to receive asingle offer from any of the top universities had it not been for affirmative action. Just look at the countless rejection stories of white and asian students with far higher SAT scores and significantly more impressive extra-curriculars, awards etc.

As for your point about them being a business, that doesn't imply that they would want to take only the best students. They want to promote their brand and the image of a diverse campus environment, which in this case isn't achieved through meritocratic admissions.
What exactly do you mean by "excuse and give a pass"? It's pretty clear that they don't simply accept the best applicants, but rather give significant boosts to minorities to promote 'diversity' and a progressive appearance. This is the basis of the lawsuit, along with discrimination against asian and international applicants.

What this means is that these minority students who have been accepted by all eight Ivy league schools may well have failed to receive asingle offer from any of the top universities had it not been for affirmative action. Just look at the countless rejection stories of white and asian students with far higher SAT scores and significantly more impressive extra-curriculars, awards etc.

As for your point about them being a business, that doesn't imply that they would want to take only the best students. They want to promote their brand and the image of a diverse campus environment, which in this case isn't achieved through meritocratic admissions.

okay... I'm done
Wow. How fricking awesome is that? Really happy for her.

Was the lawsuit successful?
okay... I'm done

No but she's right, okay, kind of right. She's right about affirmative action being dodgy in a way. While she's wrong in assuming that that Somali student would have been rejected.
I mean I get what they were going for when they proposed this thing, however, why do we need representation? Like I'm sorry but I'd rather have an asian doctor than an Iraqi doctor that is worse than the asian doctor. (I'm from Iraq). Yes I know, minorities (other than asians) get an education that isn't as good, however, what's done is done. Instead of making it easier for some students to take the places of other students who are better than them in university, they should be working on giving better education in high school to those minorities.
Also what's so bad about not having your "people" be represented in whatever, I've never seen Iraqis on TV all my life (except on very rare occasions), and I never cared. The same when it comes to everything else.
In here I am talking about unintentional underrepresentation, like if you go out of your way not to hire people of a certain ethnicity/country/background, that is of course racist and/or bad.
Original post by gagafacea1
No but she's right, okay, kind of right. She's right about affirmative action being dodgy in a way. While she's wrong in assuming that that Somali student would have been rejected.

Yeah I know she was right on the affirmative action part which I gave her credit for and said that I agreed but it was when she made herself transparent by saying that those students wouldn't get in if it wasn't for the current academic admission system, that's what I mean with ''I'm done''. And someone that influenced me greatly while growing up and still does is an Iraqi architect, Zaha Hadid I love her work she's amazing so.. shoutout to Iraq! ahaha :lol:
Yeah I know she was right on the affirmative action part which I gave her credit for and said that I agreed but it was when she made herself transparent by saying that those students wouldn't get in if it wasn't for the current academic admission system, that's what I mean with ''I'm done''. And someone that influenced me greatly while growing up and still does is an Iraqi architect, Zaha Hadid I love her work she's amazing so.. shoutout to Iraq! ahaha :lol:

Oh I'm sorry then for misunderstanding.
Also are you an architect or something?
Wow well done to her, I think I should show this to some Somalis that I know.
may well have failed to receive a single offer

she made herself transparent by saying that those students wouldn't get in if it wasn't for the current academic admission system

Original post by gagafacea1
she's wrong in assuming that that Somali student would have been rejected.

:confused:

I said nothing of the sort. I said it would have been a possibility, and cited the strings of Asian and white students who are routinely rejected from all of the Ivies, despite quite clearly being better candidates than the affirmative action, legacy and athletics admits. For example, a score of 2250 in the SATs is hardly exceptional for an Ivy league student - in fact it's below average at Harvard, Yale and Princeton. The only white student I can find who got admitted to all eight Ivies got a perfect 2400/2400.

Original post by ExMus
Was the lawsuit successful?

Still in progress, I believe. Yale destroyed all of their internal admissions documents before they could file a lawsuit against them. I think the trouble is that affirmative action is technically currently legal - they're trying to sue based on it being unconstitutional.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending