The Student Room Group

Bath vs Warwick

Hi everyone, the summer's fast approaching, but I'm still undecided between firming accounting and finance at either Bath or Warwick. I've looked around both, and it's really close to call between them (e.g. I like both courses, campuses etc.). Just wondered if anybody had any advice over which is the better place to study at. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I could really use some advice for choosing between these universities, the deadline for choices is 6th May, but ideally I need to choose before then as Bath's accommodation application had already opened....
Reply 2
Go with your gut feeling
Reply 3
Based on first impressions of each university when I visited them on general open days, I would lean towards Warwick. However, after attending an accounting and finance offer holder day at Bath, I really liked the place. I do still have a similar event to attend at Warwick, just hoped some people might have experience of the courses or universities that may be of note. :smile:
I have been looking for a thread like this - Big up the creator of the thread ! - I am in the same position, i am an offer holder of both bath and warwick A and F (although either of the 2 will be my insurance as i am firming UCL economics)

Here is my list of pro and cons for both - Starting with bath

Pros

- Great Campus
- Number 1 for A and F
- Number 1 for student satisfaction
- Great department
- good industry links
- flexible course (can take outside options eg a language and it counts towards final grade)
- Soo many professional exemptions
- Good Accomodation
- Library is subject specific
- Lovely location; so much green :smile:
- Students Union is very proactive and present in the university

Cons

- Bath isn't in the russell group
- Lecturers are boring (imo)
- Heavy emphasis on Accounting (on compulsory modules)
- Location is far away from London and major cities (internships in London or Midlands etc will be difficult)
- Non Target for BBs

Warwick

Pros

- Target University for BBs
- number 2 for A and F
- Great Campus
- Russel Group University
- WBS is very reputable worldwide (more so than bath business school)
- Great societies (most in UK)
- Amazing careers advice service
- New Sites have just been built (i believe as they said this to me when i went a couple of months ago)
- Can ride the wave of success of the university come employment - WBS gradutes are in demand!

Cons

- Average accomodation, have to live in coventry in 2nd year ( around 20 mins away from campus)
- Outside options like languages do not contribute to your final marks
- WBS is on one side of the campus -> perhaps isolated?
- Set course strucutre
- exempt from fewer exams (not to sure)
- Most people want to work in the City so could be highly competitive
- decent library, nothing spectacular

Please quote me and leave any of your ideas about this in the reply; espicially if you have anything to add to this - a longer list is created therefore
Original post by tazza ma razza
I have been looking for a thread like this - Big up the creator of the thread ! - I am in the same position, i am an offer holder of both bath and warwick A and F (although either of the 2 will be my insurance as i am firming UCL economics)

Pros

- Great Campus
- Number 1 for A and F
- Great department
- good industry links
- flexible course (can take outside options eg a language and it counts towards final grade)
- Good Accomodation

Cons

- Location is far away from London and major cities (internships in London or Midlands etc will be difficult)
- Non Target for BBs

Warwick

Pros

- number 2 for A and F
- Great Campus
- New Sites have just been built (i believe as they said this to me when i went a couple of months ago)
- Can ride the wave of success of the university come employment - WBS gradutes are in demand!

Cons

- Average accomodation, have to live in coventry in 2nd year ( around 20 mins away from campus)
- Set course strucutre

Please quote me and leave any of your ideas about this in the reply; espicially if you have anything to add to this - a longer list is created therefore

No.

It's the case international students for some reason like in Coventry and Canley. Everyone else lives in Leamington Spa which is a nice town.

I doubt that the language modules don't count.

And, the WBS is hardly isolated. Who cares when you're attending lectures and seminars?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by tehforum
No.

It's the case international student for some reason like in Coventry and Canley. Everyone else lives in Leamington Spa which is a nice team.

I doubt that the language modules don't count.

And, the WBS is hardly isolated. Who cares when you're attending lectures and seminars?

Oh really - i wasn't aware about it being for internationals; fair enough!

The language modules carry no weight to the degree - i do A level German and am eager to resume studying german hence i asked the head of department for languages and they said it is done as a hobby kinda thing and so you can not let it carry any weight to the final degree mark.

The location thing is hardly an issue, but could be relevant depending on accomodation location
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheSums
Based on first impressions of each university when I visited them on general open days, I would lean towards Warwick. However, after attending an accounting and finance offer holder day at Bath, I really liked the place. I do still have a similar event to attend at Warwick, just hoped some people might have experience of the courses or universities that may be of note. :smile:

Cant really say for you but if it was me I would pick Bath, its a fantastic uni and in a great city. To me Warwick was incredibly isolated and far from a city so seemed a bit dull, also in second and third year you have to do a 30min commute to the campus which didn't sound much like an enjoyable uni experience!

Also bath has a huge placement emphasis to their degrees, there might not be one specifically for A and F but they certainly have great links to employers. Both unis are fantastic so wherever you choose you won't be making a 'bad' choice so it really comes down to which campus/city you preferred.

Good luck! :smile:
Oh really - i wasn't aware about it being for internationals; fair enough!

The language modules carry no weight to the degree - i do A level German and am eager to resume studying german hence i asked the head of department for languages and they said it is done as a hobby kinda thing and so you can not let it carry any weight to the final degree mark.

The location thing is hardly an issue, but could be relevant depending on accomodation location

Literally 5 minutes walk from the 'centre of campus' i.e. the library.
Reply 9
The placements at Bath are a major selling point; Warwick also offer a placement year, but the level of support available at Bath to actually get a placement seems to be far greater.
Original post by TheSums
The placements at Bath are a major selling point; Warwick also offer a placement year, but the level of support available at Bath to actually get a placement seems to be far greater.

It's hard to say that for sure unless you've been to both unis or you've got a first-hand experience concerning career placement at both unis. What is certain for sure at the moment is that Warwick is a top target uni by top bulge bracket firms whilst Bath is only semi-target, at most.

Both are fantastic unis, but in terms of career placement, all readily verifiable data would tell you that Warwick is superior to Bath.
Warwick. Choose Warwick. It is way more prestigious to Bath.
Reply 12
Warwick has a much better reputation than bath. Warwick is what to choose.
Reply 13
There isn't that much accounting at Bath. I'm in second year and have done one module of accounting per semester. Finance begins in second semester of first year, and then you do a finance module per semester from there. Outside of that there's a variety of economics, law, more business oriented modules, some computing, some maths, stats, and some eu based modules

Posted from TSR Mobile
Warwick is much stronger and has a much better rep than Bath. Choose Warwick.
Warwick has a better rep. Choose Warwick.

Pros

- Great Campus
- Number 1 for A and F
- Great department
- good industry links
- Good Accomodation

Cons

- Non Target for BBs

Warwick

Pros

- number 2 for A and F
- Great Campus

Cons

- Set course strucutre

Have since graduated - Can honestly say warwick is a pile of dog s*** uni. Would not recommend anyone go - I am grateful for the opportunties it gave me (Investment Banking internships and job offers) but it was a disgraceful uni with 0 social life. I regret picking it and feel i missed out on the uni experience.
Reply 17
I went to bath in the end and I would say go for Warwick because bath is a tiny city and pretty boring tbh. It does provide great opportunities for your career similar to Warwick. In the end it doesn't matter where you go, those two uni are very similar. So I would answer with the same line I did 4 years ago: Go with your gut feeling. (thanks to tazza ma razza I have logged back on student room for the first time in 4 years haha)
Reply 18
(Original post by wkit11)I went to bath in the end and I would say go for Warwick because bath is a tiny city and pretty boring tbh. It does provide great opportunities for your career similar to Warwick. In the end it doesn't matter where you go, those two uni are very similar. So I would answer with the same line I did 4 years ago: Go with your gut feeling. (thanks to tazza ma razza I have logged back on student room for the first time in 4 years haha)

What job did you get after Bath?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending