The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Im not a law person but I applied to Dundee!! Twice! Dundee is so coool, come on you Dundee people
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
Reply 2
Yep I applied for biology!! :biggrin:
Reply 3
:biggrin: wahey more dundee people lol ive applied there and got in and if warwick rejects me im defo going there everyones so nice and the place was beautiful...anyone else?
Reply 4
I've got an offer for the 4 year history course
Grant - why would you apply for Oxord and then reject them? SO pointless!
Reply 6
Oh, btw, I'm going Law - I'm in third year now. Happy to answer any questions anyone has on the Dundee course.
Reply 7
i did a two day law course at oxford once its a really nice place, but dundee was fab too. Cool i did history at AS level but wasnt very good at it lol so stuck to law
Reply 8
ooo i have some questions :smile:

1. Whats the course/teachers like?
2. Do you have many exams?
3. Which halls are the best?
4. Overall whats dundee like?
5. Do many people do both the scottish and english law degree?
Reply 9
Tasha632
ooo i have some questions :smile:

1. Whats the course/teachers like?

First year - you'll get 3 modules a term, maybe 4 (but two of them will be worth less and have less classes).

Teachers, well, it's a big department. Your first year LMS (Legal Method & Systems) and general year head type guy will be Robin White, who's a bit mad but a general legend. Everyone's very approachable and available - I sometimes wonder if they do any other work when they manage to reply to my emails within 20 minutes!

2. Do you have many exams?

Too bloody many. Almost all modules have a 25% mid-term essay and a 75% final exam. So three a semester (goes down to two in 3rd year). It's quite horrendous, but to be fair, you do bugger all the rest of the year while your friends are handing in essays every other week.

4. Overall whats dundee like?

Hmm... it's quite small for a city, but definitely bigger than a town. It's got everything you need, but if you've been in a larger city before you'll find that you kinda miss a bigger town centre sometimes, but Edinburgh isn't that far away on the train and v. cheap to get to on the bus once in a while.

It's pretty much got pubs and clubs to suit every taste. It's got some lovely countryside and small towns around it to visit if you need to escape the city once in a while.

If you're coming up from England, you'll notice it gets very dark during the winter. It's been absolutely pitch-black outside my window for about an hour now and it's 5 o'clock. On the other hand, during the summer you can play midnight golf in Carnoustie. But some people just find it a bit weird, so winter is a time to drink a lot... unfortunately there's also the pre-Xmas exams to worry about; oh, and it sometimes gets as windy as hell. In the summer, it's warm, sunny (a lot more than the west coast) and very nice though.

There's a lot of weird and cool places to go that you won't find without experimenting a bit, so don't just stay in the Union all of first year. Oh, and you're quite lucky if you enter Dundee in 2007 - it's very much renovating itself and everything, so I imagine they'll be a lot of new stuff opening and the campus tarting-up might actually be finished before you graduate!

5. Do many people do both the scottish and english law degree?

Well, you choose one and you stick with it til third year, then you can do the equivalent classes in the other. I remember working out the split once, it's about 100 doing Scots and maybe 40 doing English in first year. Since we're all in small classes now instead of the whole-year lectures you get in first year, I can't really judge how many people took both.
Reply 10
lol Ah right so how many classes(hours) do you have a week then?
The exam bit i didnt quite understand lol (bit slow today) so do u have 3 exams at the end of each term? Exams before christmas :O i have them after christmas atm. Yeah i got told there was only 40 places for the english law llb which made me think i wudnt get in but i did so happy :biggrin:
Reply 11
At the moment, I'm in 5 hours a week. All small tutorials.

In first year, hmm... can't really remember actually. Probably about 10 to 15. Somewhere in that region. You'll always get Wednesday afternoons off and for my first and second years I had Friday off totally too. It's certainly not overwhelming.

Yeah, three exams every semester, two semesters a year. 'Terms' are what we either call a whole uni year or the old three-terms a year system. English law will be pretty good, you get a lot of shared classes with the Scots Lawyers in first year... oh, and it's full of Irish people for no apparent reason.
Reply 12
Dundee looked nice and it's great how most accom is on campus! Plus some of it is just new!

What's Dundee like as a city?
Lou_
Dundee looked nice and it's great how most accom is on campus! Plus some of it is just new!

What's Dundee like as a city?

The majority of the accomodation is brand new this year. I think they're only keeping West Park Villas and Seabraes from the older halls, and both of them are fairly new too.

Dundee as a city... hmm... like I said in another thread, the city centre is pretty average for a UK town. For a city it's on the small side. Around the University (Perth Road etc.) is all pretty "studenty".
Reply 14
oh right lol see in england we're still on your old 3 term system so how does this 2 semester thing work? and btw can u leave your things in your room say over easter/christmas or every holiday do u have to take everything home with u?
Reply 15
Yeah, you get your room from the end of the first summer to the start of the next, no need to clear out for Xmas or anything.

Erm... how does it work. Well... we have two semesters. One before Xmas and one after Xmas. That's the technical explanation anyway.

City centre? As TS says, it's pretty average. It's got some pretty good bars and nightclubs for a place of its size, but it's not got a lot of population around it, so it's still not got the amenities of Glasgow etc, but it's getting bigger. New shops and the like are springing up everywhere. It's also expanding generally and renovating, so it's all fairly vibrant.

The west end (where you'll probably spend most of your time) is nice too. Plus there's good views, the countryside around Dundee is brilliant (and easy to get to), um, that's about it really. The locals are a bit weird, but they don't seem to dislike us students or anything, so we just get on with our own thing really, apparent there's some sort of "uni bubble" effect.
Reply 16
Do Dundee take ages in giving out offers?
Reply 17
In my case no they didnt take ages, i got a reply within a week of sending off my ucas but that was for law not sure bout other courses
Reply 18
They took longer than Edinburgh took to reject me...

... bastards.

My offer from Dundee was relatively late actually, I had unconditionals from both Aberdeen and Stirling weeks before I heard anything from Dundee, and I'm sure my offers from Glasgow and Edinburgh (the year before) came through a fair bit earlier than Dundee.

Latest

Trending

Trending