Moving out from parent's house. Am I eligible for a grant?

Watch this thread
BennyboyJones
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hey there. This is my first post on TSR.

I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me.

I'm a full-time second year psychology student at University of Portsmouth. Just finishing my second year and soon to go into my third final year come September.

The first two years of my course I have been living at home with my parents. Because of this, I only applied for a tuition fee loan (2 x £9,000) and did apply for any maintenance loan. Things have changed a little now though and in June, I will be moving out from my parent's home and renting a 2 bedroom flat with my friend.

I have a few questions about this.

1) When applying for a maintenance loan (to help with affording rent), is my household income still the income from my parents even though I will no longer be living with them, or is the household income just from me and my friend who will be living together?

2) If the household income is only my friend and I's income, would I now be eligible for a grant for my final year?

3) When applying for a maintenance loan via SFE, the form (Maintenance Loan request form) you have to complete and send to them does not ask for your household income, so how will they assess how much you're eligible for?

4) Finally, when using the Student Finance Calculator, it says I can get £3,770, but on my entitlement summary, it's £2,726?

Sorry if this sounds confusing. I'm going to be phoning SFE on Monday anyway to see what I can get.

Many thanks.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
It sounds as though you're applying for non-income assessed finance? Which doesn't ask for your parents household income.

You'll only get more loan if you move out. Your finance will still be assessed on your parents, unless you've been self supporting (student finance doesn't count) for the last 3 years, are married, responsible for a child or are estranged from your parents.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Your parents income would still be assessed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by BennyboyJones)
1) When applying for a maintenance loan (to help with affording rent), is my household income still the income from my parents even though I will no longer be living with them, or is the household income just from me and my friend who will be living together?
Unless your relationship with your parents has completely broken down (and you can provide proof of this from an independent third party professional) then you will still be assessed based on your parents' income.

2) If the household income is only my friend and I's income, would I now be eligible for a grant for my final year?
Probably not applicable from what you've described. However, if you were assessed on your own income, you would probably be eligible for the maximum Maintenance Loan and Grant unless you had a very highly-paid part-time job or income from things like property or interest on savings.

3) When applying for a maintenance loan via SFE, the form (Maintenance Loan request form) you have to complete and send to them does not ask for your household income, so how will they assess how much you're eligible for?
When you apply to be income-assessed, they ask for your parents' contact details and then send your parents an email/letter so that they can log in and provide their income details. If you tick the box to be assessed as independent (which you probably aren't, for SF purposes), then you will be asked for your income.

4) Finally, when using the Student Finance Calculator, it says I can get £3,770, but on my entitlement summary, it's £2,726?
If you're looking at the results for both a Maintenance Loan and Grant, then the amount of your loan is reduced if you get a grant. However, that probably doesn't apply to you unless your parents have a very low household

You should be aware that most students who rely on SF, don't get enough to afford the rent on more than a room in a shared house. Your SF money only goes up very slightly if you live away from home and will probably not cover half the rent on a 2-bedroom flat. You may need your parents to help financially if you want to do that. SF isn't intended to cover all of your living costs whilst at uni - it's just intended as a contribution.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (274)
42.09%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.22%
It was TERRIBLE (48)
7.37%

Watched Threads