The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester or Warwick?

I'm an international student and I have offers from both those universities and I need to firm one of them. I will be studying mechanical engineering. I did a lot of research and I simply don't know which one of them is better.
I would like to hear your opinion about these universities, student life, reputation...
Original post by elieasa
I'm an international student and I have offers from both those universities and I need to firm one of them. I will be studying mechanical engineering. I did a lot of research and I simply don't know which one of them is better.
I would like to hear your opinion about these universities, student life, reputation...

Where are you from?
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I don't know much about Warwick but I can give you my thoughts on Manchester.

The campus is a nice mix of being quite self contained while still being integrated into the city, giving you the best of both worlds. The city centre is within walking distance, giving you lots of places to go outside of the university. Warwick is a purely campus-based university so will probably feel a bit more isolated. The university also has hundreds of societies and sports clubs so you'll have no trouble finding something to interest you. If you're particularly sporty, there are three sports centres, two on the main campus and one in Fallowfield.

Manchester as a city is brilliant, it's big enough to always have lots going on but small enough that it's quite easy to get around. It's very multicultural as well, making it a great place for international students. It's also got good transport links to other cities such as Liverpool, Birmingham and London should you want to visit them. Admittedly, Warwick is well placed for the latter two as well.

Academically, Manchester is excellent. It's a member of the Russell Group, which is generally regarded as a sign of quality, and it was recently ranked 52nd in the world and 8th in the UK. It also has more Nobel laureates on its current staff than any other UK university. I'm not a mechanical engineering student but I do share a lot of the same facilities, which are generally very good. All of the engineering courses are based on a smaller, secondary campus about half a mile away from the main campus. The university is looking to move everything down to the main campus by 2020, however, which will mean fancy new buildings eventually.

If there's anything I've missed, feel free to ask. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
I don't know much about Warwick but I can give you my thoughts on Manchester.

The campus is a nice mix of being quite self contained while still being integrated into the city, giving you the best of both worlds. The city centre is within walking distance, giving you lots of places to go outside of the university. Warwick is a purely campus-based university so will probably feel a bit more isolated. The university also has hundreds of societies and sports clubs so you'll have no trouble finding something to interest you. If you're particularly sporty, there are three sports centres, two on the main campus and one in Fallowfield.

Manchester as a city is brilliant, it's big enough to always have lots going on but small enough that it's quite easy to get around. It's very multicultural as well, making it a great place for international students. It's also got good transport links to other cities such as Liverpool, Birmingham and London should you want to visit them. Admittedly, Warwick is well placed for the latter two as well.

Academically, Manchester is excellent. It's a member of the Russell Group, which is generally regarded as a sign of quality, and it was recently ranked 52nd in the world and 8th in the UK. It also has more Nobel laureates on its current staff than any other UK university. I'm not a mechanical engineering student but I do share a lot of the same facilities, which are generally very good. All of the engineering courses are based on a smaller, secondary campus about half a mile away from the main campus. The university is looking to move everything down to the main campus by 2020, however, which will mean fancy new buildings eventually.

If there's anything I've missed, feel free to ask. :smile:

Thanks, I really appreciate your answer. Well, see you next year in Manchester :P
Reply 4
Original post by fajitamunch
Where are you from?

Lebanon
Original post by elieasa
Lebanon

There's not a great Arab scene in Warwick as far as I know (I go to Warwick), so if you prefer to hang out with people who remind you of home, Manchester may be the better choice.
Reply 6
There's not a great Arab scene in Warwick as far as I know (I go to Warwick), so if you prefer to hang out with people who remind you of home, Manchester may be the better choice.

Actually I don't live in Lebanon and I barely speak arabic. I live in France and I hang out with french people.
Original post by elieasa
Actually I don't live in Lebanon and I barely speak arabic. I live in France and I hang out with french people.

Well then you'll be fine in Warwick. There are LOADS of French people.
Reply 8
Well then you'll be fine in Warwick. There are LOADS of French people.

Is the nightlife good at Warwick?
Original post by elieasa
Is the nightlife good at Warwick?

If the nightlife is a big thing for you, go to Manchester. Like seriously, without a doubt, go to Manchester. Warwick has a horrific nightlife compared to Manchester.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending