The Student Room Group

Question about the PGDE in modern languages ?

Hello everybody,

My name is Stéphanie, I'm 30, French and I moved in Aberdeenshire (Scotland) a couple of months ago.

I've studied IT for 5 years but I would like to work in education and become a french language teacher.

I'm writing to you as I have a few questions about becoming a modern language teacher in the UK.

GTCS told me that it's asked to the applicants for the modern languages PGDE to be fluent in two languages (by being native and/or have graduated a second language, and spent a few months in the countries where these two languages are spoken) which means going back to school and study the language for three years before applying for the pgde.

I was surprised as the system is different in France, and I have to admit I felt a bit down to have to study again for so long.

Then I found out that the university of Glasgow propose a PGDE only in French (!)

I'm gonna write to them to know more about it, but as the GTCS asks to have two languages, I wonder would it be more difficult for me to find job with the PDGE only in French ? Is it possible to pass this PGDE and then have a course in a second language to be able to teach it as well ?

I will be grateful for any help you can provide.

I wish you a nice day,

Stéphanie
Original post by stephanie.h
Hello everybody,

My name is Stéphanie, I'm 30, French and I moved in Aberdeenshire (Scotland) a couple of months ago.

I've studied IT for 5 years but I would like to work in education and become a french language teacher.

I'm writing to you as I have a few questions about becoming a modern language teacher in the UK.

GTCS told me that it's asked to the applicants for the modern languages PGDE to be fluent in two languages (by being native and/or have graduated a second language, and spent a few months in the countries where these two languages are spoken) which means going back to school and study the language for three years before applying for the pgde.

I was surprised as the system is different in France, and I have to admit I felt a bit down to have to study again for so long.

Then I found out that the university of Glasgow propose a PGDE only in French (!)

I'm gonna write to them to know more about it, but as the GTCS asks to have two languages, I wonder would it be more difficult for me to find job with the PDGE only in French ? Is it possible to pass this PGDE and then have a course in a second language to be able to teach it as well ?

I will be grateful for any help you can provide.

I wish you a nice day,

Stéphanie

Hi Stephanie,

I'm afraid I don't know much about the Scottish systems, but I know in England you can do a PGCE in one language but two are preferable. To that end they offer Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses so applicants can get that second language.

You can see information about that on Newcastle's PGCE page: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/ecls/study/postgrad/secondary_pgce/mfl.htm

Scotland might offer something similar you could apply for?

In terms of jobs: having more than one language would give you more flexibility, but French is the most widely taught language in UK schools so I don't think that having just French would limit you too much. Being a native speaker could also be a huge advantage as having a native speaker teacher is a rarity.

For example my mum is currently teaching primary school French - she studied French for 3 years in seconday school (1977 - 1980) and hasn't spoken it since..... so you can imagine the quality of those lessons!

And I imagine there would be options for you to develop additional languages and teach them if needed. My A Level Italian teacher actually did a French degree and started as a French teacher. But as he speak a year in Italy he started teaching Italian too, and as the student numbers grew it got to the point where now he doesn't teach any French at all.

I'd say the main thing you have to worry about is getting school experience. This is something all applicants have to do, but I know Newcastle recommend people who weren't educated in the UK spend 6 months working in a UK school before doing a PGCE so you can show you have adequate knowledge of how our system works.
So I'd definitely get speaking to local schools about volunteering there if you can.

Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending