Are Circles parallel to straight lines

Watch
Windowswind123
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I was wondering if circles are parallel to straight lines if there are no points of intersection between the circle and the straight line.
This definition of being parallel (although from wikipedia) is:
In geometry, parallel lines are lines in a plane which do not meet; that is, two lines in a plane that do not intersect or touch at any point are said to be parallel
Is there any other conditions for something to be parallel?
I'm just curious.
math42
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"Lines in a plane" here is referring to straight lines
A circle is not a straight line
Protoxylic
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Depends in what type of geometry you are talking about. Look up euclidian geometry as well as positive and negative curvature. Lines that are parallel in the euclidian plane are straight, but those in negative curvature are curved, but still by definition parallel.
Windowswind123
Rep:
?
(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
"Lines in a plane" here is referring to straight lines
A circle is not a straight line
A plane is two dimensions, right?
A circle is in two dimensions and isn't a circle just a line?
Maybe I am just being stupid as the other poster wrote xD

(Original post by Protoxylic)
Depends in what type of geometry you are talking about. Look up euclidian geometry as well as positive and negative curvature. Lines that are parallel in the euclidian plane are straight, but those in negative curvature are curved, but still by definition parallel.
Ah, the reason I asked the questions is because I remember my Maths teacher telling me that it could be parallel but I didn't understand why at the time.
Smaug123
  • Study Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Windowswind123)
I was wondering if circles are parallel to straight lines if there are no points of intersection between the circle and the straight line.
This definition of being parallel (although from wikipedia) is:
In geometry, parallel lines are lines in a plane which do not meet; that is, two lines in a plane that do not intersect or touch at any point are said to be parallel
Is there any other conditions for something to be parallel?
I'm just curious.
Two *lines* are parallel. A *line* is strictly a straight line, while a circle is an example of a curve. (Lines are also examples of curves.)

However, a line can lie tangent to a circle at a given point, or it can fail to intersect anywhere.

If you consider the point at infinity to be a genuine point, and the rest of the real plane to make up a sphere with the point at infinity (as in the Riemann sphere) then in fact lines are simply special kinds of circle: they are circles which go through the point at infinity. Then in your "circle parallel to straight lines" idea, what you're really talking about is two non-intersecting circles.
Windowswind123
Rep:
?
(Original post by Smaug123)
If you consider the point at infinity to be a genuine point, and the rest of the real plane to make up a sphere with the point at infinity (as in the Riemann sphere) then in fact lines are simply special kinds of circle: they are circles which go through the point at infinity.
Thanks, I found that an interesting concept to read - I'll probably read up more about the point of infinity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (21)
14.69%
I need help researching courses (8)
5.59%
I need help with filling out the application form (7)
4.9%
I need help with my personal statement (58)
40.56%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (36)
25.17%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
2.1%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (10)
6.99%

Watched Threads