charlielotte
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hello,

I am considering going into educational psychology but have some concerns about the course.

I have a 2:1 in Psychology and I am going into the final term of my NQT year, having previously worked as an INA for a child with behavioural and language difficulties.

I think I'd really enjoy ed psych but am a little worried that the statistics part of the PhD would be too academically rigorous for me.

I am very personable, sensitive, great with children, good at engaging and alleviating the worries of concerned parents and have done a really good job as a first year teacher. Also, in terms of essay writing and creativity I have no issues.

However, I really struggle with maths and found undergraduate stats extremely tricky. I gained a B at GCSE maths but I only just scraped through undergraduate stats. As for SPSS-it literally no sense to me at all!

I really want to apply for ed psych but do I honestly have a shot at passing research methods modules if I'm a hopeless statistician?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Strangey
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by charlielotte)
Hello,

I am considering going into educational psychology but have some concerns about the course.

I have a 2:1 in Psychology and I am going into the final term of my NQT year, having previously worked as an INA for a child with behavioural and language difficulties.

I think I'd really enjoy ed psych but am a little worried that the statistics part of the PhD would be too academically rigorous for me.

I am very personable, sensitive, great with children, good at engaging and alleviating the worries of concerned parents and have done a really good job as a first year teacher. Also, in terms of essay writing and creativity I have no issues.

However, I really struggle with maths and found undergraduate stats extremely tricky. I gained a B at GCSE maths but I only just scraped through undergraduate stats. As for SPSS-it literally no sense to me at all!

I really want to apply for ed psych but do I honestly have a shot at passing research methods modules if I'm a hopeless statistician?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Doing a PhD is massively different compared with an undergrad degree. Whatever you choose to research, you can just make sure that the area has little to do with statistics - it'll be your choice (and your supervisor's, of course).

Some 4 year courses do have a Master's-level year where you would almost certainly have a research skills module, but that shouldn't put you off. Also, I'm not sure what benefit you having good teaching would have for a PhD - the research is academic, and is unlikely to be performed in a classroom (the ethics would be a nightmare). That said, you could use those skills in reference to your work, but you would have to back it up with published research in the literature.

Do you know what area you would like to research?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Strangey)
Doing a PhD is massively different compared with an undergrad degree. Whatever you choose to research, you can just make sure that the area has little to do with statistics - it'll be your choice (and your supervisor's, of course).

Some 4 year courses do have a Master's-level year where you would almost certainly have a research skills module, but that shouldn't put you off. Also, I'm not sure what benefit you having good teaching would have for a PhD - the research is academic, and is unlikely to be performed in a classroom (the ethics would be a nightmare). That said, you could use those skills in reference to your work, but you would have to back it up with published research in the literature.

Do you know what area you would like to research?
The Ed Psych doctorate is very different - it's more like training to be a doctor

OP - I'm doing the course and have not done much with stats (used SPSS once and I didn't really have to do that). My thesis is not likely to need SPSS to analyse the data. Have a look at the courses that you are interested in applying for, because the requirements will be slightly different
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (146)
14.46%
I'm not sure (43)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (303)
30%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.57%
I'm not a current university student (492)
48.71%

Watched Threads