BIOCH3M
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
What is the difference between the two? It seems like biotech degrees seem to be applying biology, for example, genetic engineering. Are the job prospects better for somebody with a biotechnology degree compared with a biology degree? I am not particularly focused on the potential salary I am more interested in where those degrees can lead to and career prospects. If anyone could shed some light on this, it would be great.

I have looked at the course content for both biology and biotechnology degrees and they seem fairly similar, and I could see myself doing either. I just would like to see what careers these degrees can lead to... apart from teaching.
BIOCH3M
Rep:
?
It also seems to be a relatively new degree from what I gather. I am curious... why are the starting salaries for a biotechnology vs biological sciences graduate different? E.g biology at imperial is listed at 28k for biotech graduates vs biology at 20k?
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biotech is applying biological knowledge to solving problems so genetic engineering is a good example. A biology degree is more broad based and covers lots of different areas of biology. You'll gain valuable transferable skills by doing either degree so pick the one you're more interested in. Starting salary will very much depend on the kind of job.
BIOCH3M
Rep:
?
(Original post by alleycat393)
Biotech is applying biological knowledge to solving problems so genetic engineering is a good example. A biology degree is more broad based and covers lots of different areas of biology. You'll gain valuable transferable skills by doing either degree so pick the one you're more interested in. Starting salary will very much depend on the kind of job.
Thanks - I like the idea of problem solving it seems much more interesting. However, what types of jobs would have a biotechnology degree offer me vs a straight biology degree? I've heard a lot of people go on to be biotechnology engineers
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You'd be problem solving per se with whichever degree course you do but biotech is more immediately applicable to life whereas with biology it'll take years before research is translated into something usable.

Like I said before, you can do pretty much anything with either degree as both will equip you with a lot of transferable skills. Have a google of job descriptions to get a better idea.
MickeyL0912
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Having considered a career in biotechnology here's what I gathered:

Although broadly biotech is application of biology, some biotech courses are much more chemical than others (just like biochemistry). For example, Imperial's course seem much more chemical to me than UCL's. Another example is that Nottingham used to (they dropped it this year) offer two separate courses: Biotechnology and Applied Biology.

Biotech appears to be more suitable if you're looking to do industrial research.

If you're not sure, do a general biology course first (for obvious reasons), besides, some areas of biology (like evolutionary biology) can be applied to many different fields, so it's not like you can't help making the world a better place)))
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (56)
17.39%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (91)
28.26%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (120)
37.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.66%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.42%

Watched Threads