Terrified of dying Watch

parry_93
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
As the title say... I'm terrified of dying.

My brother died in January at 22, and it seems to have got worse then. We've been left in the lurch about attending court as we have to do this to find out why he died....

I won't go into to loads of details about him, but I'm now struggling to sleep, I've got exams coming up in May. I don't know what to say even if I did do to the doctors, what would they do, I don't want to go in and have them think I'm crazy or making it up.

I've no idea why im terrified I never used to be, well to no more extent than the average person....but this is all I can pin point it to.

I'm stuck on what to do tbh.
Caroljo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, I'm no doctor, but it sounds like you are suffering from anxiety, which is a normal part of the grieving process. You need to go to the doctors, they wont think your crazy or making it up. They may suggest some short term medication that will help with the anxiety and also arrange for some counselling. You will feel a lot better when you have spoken to a professional.

Wish you well.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 years ago
I'm so sorry to hear that. I can't imagine what it must be like for you now.

As for exams, I'm sure there are people who will be able to help you by contacting exam boards to grant you extenuating circumstances

And I agree with the above poster who recommended you go to the doctor to talk about this and see whether they have any ideas (which I'm sure they will)

Good luck with everything x
XZX
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Death's a pointless thing to fear, I've never quite understood why people fear it. It's just the same as living, accept you're not conscious, so it's basically just a sleep you never wake up from. It's impossible to imagine it but it's the same as before you were alive.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Unfortunately the only guarantee in life is death, so there's no point fearing it. That said, do what you think is necessary to prevent it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Xin Xang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XZX)
Death's a pointless thing to fear, I've never quite understood why people fear it. It's just the same as living, accept you're not conscious, so it's basically just a sleep you never wake up from. It's impossible to imagine it but it's the same as before you were alive.
Of course you are saying this now, as it seems so far away. But when it becomes a very real possibility, I think you will understand to a greater extent what Death actually means.

In reality, it means you simply no longer exist. You become nothing. Its just a dark emptiness.The idea of that happening freaks me out.
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Go see your GP. This does sound like anxiety related to the grieving process. They will be able to give you help. I'm sorry to hear about your brother. I know this might not help, but we never know when we are going to die so fearing it is pointless. Just try live your life to the fullest, achieve what you intend to achieve, and make your brother proud. All the best
Racoon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by parry_93)

My brother died in January at 22, and it seems to have got worse then. We've been left in the lurch about attending court as we have to do this to find out why he died....

I won't go into to loads of details about him, but I'm now struggling to sleep, I've got exams coming up in May. I don't know what to say even if I did do to the doctors, what would they do, I don't want to go in and have them think I'm crazy or making it up.

I've no idea why im terrified I never used to be, well to no more extent than the average person....but this is all I can pin point it to.

The doctor could refer you to see someone just to talk to, its called talking therapy. It might help to pour it all out to someone other than family. You have gone through such an awfully difficult time, you do need someone understanding and who will be able to give you some good advice.
Prince_fancybum
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
People saying they don't fear death is utter *******s. Your supposed to fear death, that's why you produce adrenalin in dangerous situations. Dying is scary, but unfortunately it's gotta happen to us all so as long as it's not the only thing you think about then I wouldn't worry too much; and with what you're going through at the moment it's natural to react as you have
XZX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Xin Xang)
Of course you are saying this now, as it seems so far away. But when it becomes a very real possibility, I think you will understand to a greater extent what Death actually means.

In reality, it means you simply no longer exist. You become nothing. Its just a dark emptiness.The idea of that happening freaks me out.
You're telling me facts I already know, I know death is a 'dark emptiness', that's what I basically said in my first post.

I'm saying this now as it doesn't seem so far away, it doesn't bother me.

Not everyone is scared of death, not everyone feels the same. I think you're making the mistake of comparing yourself with me, I can guarantee you that we don't share any 'emotions'.
Xin Xang
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XZX)
You're telling me facts I already know, I know death is a 'dark emptiness', that's what I basically said in my first post.

I'm saying this now as it doesn't seem so far away, it doesn't bother me.

Not everyone is scared of death, not everyone feels the same. I think you're making the mistake of comparing yourself with me, I can guarantee you that we don't share any 'emotions'.
Stop pretending like Death is nothing to be scared of. Its just incredibly naive to think so. I was simply saying that being scared of death is a normal thing, as long as it not paranoia.

You pretending like its unusual to be scared of death really isn't helping.
XZX
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Stop pretending like Death is nothing to be scared of. Its just incredibly naive to think so. I was simply saying that being scared of death is a normal thing, as long as it not paranoia.

It's not anything to be scared of though, is it? Stop pretending it is, you say I'm not helping, I'm sure you ranting on about how 'scary' death is, is really helping OP.

I'm not saying it's an unusual thing to fear at all, I'm saying it's a pointless thing to fear. However, many do fear death, I'm the odd one out for not fearing it, but I'm not your average, normal person.
Andy98
  • Study Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Not that death is nothing to be afraid of, heck I used to be scared of it. But when I thought about it I realised there was no point being scared of it because I'll die either way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TimeWalker
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm actually looking forward to it. I'm quite healthy, and happy, but disillusioned with life lately. In other words I've seen that it is a long drag and will be happier when I'm near the other side of it.

But I have a long way to go yet. 25, so 50 years more on average...
ellie98
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please, show some respect to the OP and stop arguing about death, that's not the point here.

OP, my sincere condolences to you and your family, it must be really tough for you.

My advice would be to go to your school counsellor/GP and maybe try and sort out some counselling to help you through your grieving process.

Once again, I'm so sorry x
German123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by parry_93)

Ohhh, accept my condolence.

It must be really hard for you but hang on in there.

Everyone thinks about death at some point in there life so, you are not alone.

As for your exams I think you can appeal for extra time and generosity from examiners-speak to your school about this because this issue could have a dramatic impact upon your grades.

I think you should seek a councillor and hope things will get better.
kiki37
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
OP, I completely understand what you mean. After my granddad died also in January, I started thinking about death frequently and I got really scared. Honestly, it still scares me and I completely relate to everything you're saying! I don't want to be nothing, I want to exist always. I think it's pretty natural. Try and just forget it because everyone has these thoughts, I think. Sometimes I look at little children and feel jealous that they probably have more years of life left than me hahaha. So yeah, just try and forget it but if it's really an issue you can go to your GP and get some kind of therapy :-) good luck, and I'm so sorry to hear about your brother.
yuqiwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what I worry about sometimes is what if an accident happened to me....
some these kind of things happened on people around me, it is so much more terrible than naturally dying i think

:mad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads