Psychology A-level Watch

schoolgirl1
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
So I'm thinking of taking psychology for an a level but I heard you have to learn A LOT of case studies and i was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough amount because it sounds hard. Also how big are the case studies and what kinds of things do you do in psychology class, thanks.
charlie2466
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by schoolgirl1)
So I'm thinking of taking psychology for an a level but I heard you have to learn A LOT of case studies and i was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough amount because it sounds hard. Also how big are the case studies and what kinds of things do you do in psychology class, thanks.
I'm doing AQA a level psychology out of all my subjects I LOVE psychology and I feel most confident for this exam and more well prepared than for any of the others. It's not too hard to grasp but there are many names, such as researcher's names, that you need to remember. Each section has a few experiments or research studies that you NEED to know to back up your point... And you need to know the names of the people who did the experiments. So there are a few to remember but it's not that hard. You'll go over the studies so many times that you'll be surprised how the names just come to you automatically. Definitely worth doing. If you have any more questions just ask, and if you ever need any psychology revision notes I've got tonnes
schoolgirl1
Rep:
?
(Original post by charlieecooperr)
I'm doing AQA a level psychology out of all my subjects I LOVE psychology and I feel most confident for this exam and more well prepared than for any of the others. It's not too hard to grasp but there are many names, such as researcher's names, that you need to remember. Each section has a few experiments or research studies that you NEED to know to back up your point... And you need to know the names of the people who did the experiments. So there are a few to remember but it's not that hard. You'll go over the studies so many times that you'll be surprised how the names just come to you automatically. Definitely worth doing. If you have any more questions just ask, and if you ever need any psychology revision notes I've got tonnes
Thanks so much, this was very helpful and encouraging. How many case studies are there? What are your other subjects? Thanks, I will be sure to ask you if I take it!
charlie2466
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Glad it helped there's around 21 names you need to remember for unit 1 and around 13 for unit 2 they are the ones the text book gives you but you can also remember more that are relevant to the topics at the beginning I was like 'WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO!!!' But now I just seem to remember the names and it's honestly not that hard at all. There is some lee way in some of the questions whereas aslong you state the study and what they did and stuff you don't technically need to remember the names of the researchers who did the study. I'm also doing AQA biology and OCR English lit x
emiloujess
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I'm doing OCR, which is more straightforward (I did AQA AS last year). There is a whole paper on research methods (which is a complete godsend) and a paper on 15 core studies, so there are only 15 names to remember. There are 5 approaches and 3 studies in each approach. In the paper you get a 4 mark question on each study, a couple of questions on the approaches and one in-detail question about 1 study (there are 3 choices). In my opinion it is easier than AQA but both are interesting to study.
schoolgirl1
Rep:
?
(Original post by emiloujess)
I'm doing OCR, which is more straightforward (I did AQA AS last year). There is a whole paper on research methods (which is a complete godsend) and a paper on 15 core studies, so there are only 15 names to remember. There are 5 approaches and 3 studies in each approach. In the paper you get a 4 mark question on each study, a couple of questions on the approaches and one in-detail question about 1 study (there are 3 choices). In my opinion it is easier than AQA but both are interesting to study.
Thank you! Do you recommend it as a subject?
emiloujess
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by schoolgirl1)
Thank you! Do you recommend it as a subject?
YES!! It is respected by universities and very interesting, whichever exam board you get.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (64)
15.46%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (41)
9.9%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (78)
18.84%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (60)
14.49%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (45)
10.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (126)
30.43%

Watched Threads