do i have a good chance of getting into medical school

Watch this thread
CMorley
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have 4A8 7A's at GCSE
predicted 4A's at AS
i volunteer at an retirement home and a rainbow group (rainbows for 3 years, retirement home for 6 months)
I am a chemistry mentor for GCSE students
I created a medical magazine that was sold at a profit and raised £300
I'm a leader at Medical Society
I run at county level athletics
I attend model UN
I've been to many lectures by past pupils on a life in medicine and a talk on pediatric surgery
i also attend my school's weekly science lectures
for summer i have work experience in a GP's and 4 different hospital departments
Good chance of a place at medical school?
iano101
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I would say you have a reasonable chance but it will hinge on the 4As at As coming a reality, scoring well in the UKCAT/BMAT and also doing well at interview. I think your extra curriculars are great and will certainly be looked upon favourably, which is good given your GCSEs are almost certainly lower than the average medic app.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Star Light
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Basically, yes. You've ticked most, if not all, of the boxes that most universities will have for their admissions process.

-Clearly you have the academic potential as shown by your GCSE grades, but most importantly by your (probable) 4 A's this summer.
-The long-term community engagement at the rainbow group is a very good indicator of your commitment to things you do, and suggests you have good people skills.
-The retirement home shows your commitment again, and that you have an awareness of the reality of Medicine; i.e. many conditions cannot be cured, a large proportion of patients are 'cared for' rather than 'treated'.
-Some universities value extra-curricular activites; your involvement with athletics and model UN would satisfy this requirement for those universities.
-If you organised the work experiences for this summer yourself, particularly without the help of relatives in these places, then that shows a keen interest and strong independence.

With a portfolio such as yours, I would be applying to the more prestigious universities. UCL, Imperial, Oxbridge and others would certainly be worth applying for. For Oxbridge, ensure that your AS exams get as high a UMS as you can - they seem to use AS UMS as the main indicator for future potential. You'd have plenty to talk about in your interview at any university, and I assume you are good at mature, engaged conversation with adults through your various experiences.

Best of luck with your applications this year, get high A's at AS and the world (of Medical schools) will be your oyster.

EDIT: Just noticed that your GCSEs are 4A*s, 7As, not the other way around. This is probably on the lower end of successful Medicine applications, but if you score highly in your AS, nice high A's, then that will almost certainly tick the academic achievement/potential box. Before you apply to prestigious universities, it may be worth reading around to see how much weight they place on GCSE scores. Don't let it put you off much though, your extra preparation is far beyond that of the average applicant and if you use it well in your PS and interviews, it should get you far.
Mrs House
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
If you ace the UKCAT then your chances go up by like 75%.
You can make a very good personal statement with your current experiences too.
Then of course there's the interview which you need to do well in.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (270)
42.19%
The paper was reasonable (265)
41.41%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
9.06%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.34%

Watched Threads