Minority (8)
40%
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
It seems certain that after the election there will be a hung parliament. So the question emerges, which would you rather see? A coalition government or a minority government supported through confidence and supply?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
It seems certain that after the election there will be a hung parliament. So the question emerges, which would you rather see? A coalition government or a minority government supported through confidence and supply?
A minority. Government does far too much crap and it gives more power to the Lib Dems in the budget who I've rather liked.

I should add the caveat that i want it to last the full 5 years unless we repeal that damned fixed term act.
Davij038
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Coalition obviously here's hoping we get Norman baker as Home Secretary for one thing.
Swanbow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A Labour-Lib coalition, with a supply and confidence agreement with the SNP.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I would prefer a confidence and supply arrangement. I think you can make individual ministers more accountable as a result.
Everglow
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
A minority. Government does far too much crap and it gives more power to the Lib Dems in the budget who I've rather liked.

I should add the caveat that i want it to last the full 5 years unless we repeal that damned fixed term act.
If you think this coalition was bad, I think you need to brace yourself for worse. Clegg has been the biggest pushover out during this coalition. He could have done so much more if he'd wanted to, simply by threatening Cameron to leave the coalition and dissolve the Government.

Minority governments are also less stable than coalitions, simply because they're essentially informal and unwritten agreements. This idea of a Labour minority Government supported by the SNP is ridiculous because Sturgeon and Salmond won't hesitate twice to stab Labour in the back if it's to the benefit of Scotland and the independence cause.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Reluire)
If you think this coalition was bad, I think you need to brace yourself for worse. Clegg has been the biggest pushover out during this coalition. He could have done so much more if he'd wanted to, simply by threatening Cameron to leave the coalition and dissolve the Government.

Minority governments are also less stable than coalitions, simply because they're essentially informal and unwritten agreements. This idea of a Labour minority Government supported by the SNP is ridiculous because Sturgeon and Salmond won't hesitate twice to stab Labour in the back if it's to the benefit of Scotland and the independence cause.
Actually I've loved this coalition. If it were on the ballot paper i'd vote for it over a Tory majority. But i do like the Lib Dems to reign in the Tories a bit.

Aye. I don't want instability and i do want a full 5 year minority but what i meant was that i'm quite happy with a zombie parliament, as far as i'm concerned if the budget passes that's good enough for me. We don't need more regulation or equality acts.

So a stable minority is what i like.
interact
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want a coalition between Conservatives, Labour, Green, Respect and UKIP.
Associativity
Badges: 9
Report 4 years ago
I think that what happened in 2010 was completely unfair. Instead of the electorate choosing a party to represent us at westminster, the political parties just got to decide amongst themselves. It's not even as if the two parties with the largest numbers of votes got in (i.e conservatives and labour). I think this makes the lib dems pretty spineless, since they'd clearly form a coalition with labour just to get back into power, or the conservatives, or whoever. What do they really stand for nowadays? Nobody voted for lib/con, and if the coalition had been on the ballot paper then many may have voted differently, so why is it fair for the parties to form coalitions after the fact.
cBay
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to see a Labour-SNP coalition tbh. After PR, I think major devolution is the next step to creating an actual democratic country. I think Scotland, Wales, N.Ireland and the 9 regions of England should each have their own autonomous government that run their own affairs with the national government only really responsible for defence and making sure each region adheres to certain standards with things like education and healthcare. I see SNP as the most likely to bring in a system like this or something approaching this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

13.92%
12.56%
12.44%
18.35%
23.28%
19.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise