C2 quick question- can anyone help me ^>^

Watch
FloralEssence
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Okay, so, I am doing this maths question and I have a question- I understand everything except from this part which is bothering me quite a little bit.

I have print screened it, as there are diagrams to work from:

I amcurrently on part iii:

and this is what the guy from exam solutions did:

but I don't understand something: Why did he use the formula 1/2 absinC (2nd step) I thought- couldn't you have just divided the triangle in half and worked out the area of the triangle using b*h/2 and then proceed to the other steps?

________________________________ ______________

It is just a small thing but I need to understand why, plus that way I don't want to have to wait until Monday to ask my maths teacher.
Attached files
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Isn't it because we don't know CD without calculating it and that is another step?
Kevin De Bruyne
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FloralEssence)
x
If you wanted to, you could use pythagoras to find h and it will give you the same answer. I suppose the formula is more direct.
LibertyMan
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yes... you could do that. It is an equally valid approach. (But remember you would have to time it by 2 afterwards to make it ACD).
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I did it like this? Doesn't this work too?

High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Because we don't know what CD is. If you did split the triangle you could work out half of CD through Pythagoras.
FloralEssence
Rep:
?
Thanks for all the responses ^>^, but isn't CD just equal to 12 as is AB=12 making the height or 1/2 of CD 6?
FloralEssence
Rep:
?
(Original post by High Stakes)
I did it like this? Doesn't this work too?

Oh, I hadn't thought of it that way:eek::eek: Thanks!
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh, I hadn't thought of it that way:eek::eek: Thanks!
No worries!
JaseyRae
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Okay, so, I am doing this maths question and I have a question- I understand everything except from this part which is bothering me quite a little bit.

I have print screened it, as there are diagrams to work from:

I amcurrently on part iii:

and this is what the guy from exam solutions did:

but I don't understand something: Why did he use the formula 1/2 absinC (2nd step) I thought- couldn't you have just divided the triangle in half and worked out the area of the triangle using b*h/2 and then proceed to the other steps?

________________________________ ______________

It is just a small thing but I need to understand why, plus that way I don't want to have to wait until Monday to ask my maths teacher.
It's easier to work out the area of the whole triangle using that equation. To use 1/2bh you'd have to split the triangle into two right angled triangles and then times the answer by two to get the whole triangle
Chittesh14
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thanks for all the responses ^>^, but isn't CD just equal to 12 as is AB=12 making the height or 1/2 of CD 6?
CD is equal to 2 (root(7^2 - 6^2)) = 7.21 cm (2 d.p.)

Posted from TSR Mobile.21
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chittesh14)
CD is equal to 2 (root(7^2 - 6^2)) = 7.21 cm (2 d.p.)

Posted from TSR Mobile.21
Good old Pythagoras.
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Good old Pythagoras.
Yeh lol, I don't know how to answer the question haha, I'm only in year 10. But I knew Pythagoras, so I had a bit of an idea haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeh lol, I don't know how to answer the question haha, I'm only in year 10. But I knew Pythagoras, so I had a bit of an idea haha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lmao, that's good. If you can take what you learn from the early stages and apply it to more complicated questions you will arrive at an answer much faster. Being proficient at spotting out where you can apply what you've learned is also important.
FloralEssence
Rep:
?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, and thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. ^>^
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Lol, and thanks for the reply, I appreciate it. ^>^
No problem :P, sometimes it is hard to understand questions. Like, I get stuck sometimes and end up understanding the question only after looking at the mark scheme, my mind just go blanks and then I'm usually like - omg, I'm so stupid lol.

Lmao, that's good. If you can take what you learn from the early stages and apply it to more complicated questions you will arrive at an answer much faster. Being proficient at spotting out where you can apply what you've learned is also important.
Haha, thanks man! It's not easy to understand, but sometimes your mind just becomes mathematical and you remember all these formulaes that you can apply to this certain question to work it out. Like, I would understand to use Pythagoras and have no idea what to do next, it'd take like like 2 minutes to explore the question and realise I could use Pythagoras here :P. I'm taking GcSE maths this year anyway so it'd be great to get A* haha and possibly to Additional Maths in year 11 lol not gonna do AS level maths hehe.
FloralEssence
Rep:
?
No problem :P, sometimes it is hard to understand questions. Like, I get stuck sometimes and end up understanding the question only after looking at the mark scheme, my mind just go blanks and then I'm usually like - omg, I'm so stupid lol.
Samee! I feel so stupid when that happens because, it's not a matter of not knowing, it is just that sometimes the way the questions are worded or an extra symbol added can f* up your whole mind. :eek:
That is why I aim to use different sources/ exam board questions to broaden my understanding. For instance, that question up there is not from my original exam board (Edexcel) it's OCR and from looking at other OCR papers, I have noticed that the language used is not so similar to Edexcel's. :banana2::banana:
Chittesh14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Samee! I feel so stupid when that happens because, it's not a matter of not knowing, it is just that sometimes the way the questions are worded or an extra symbol added can f* up your whole mind. :eek:
That is why I aim to use different sources/ exam board questions to broaden my understanding. For instance, that question up there is not from my original exam board (Edexcel) it's OCR and from looking at other OCR papers, I have noticed that the language used is not so similar to Edexcel's. :banana2::banana:
Haha, true. I don't do other exam boards paper, I don't know why. I've got every exam paper from edexcel printed out from like 2010 and done lol at least 2 times each . Going to make it a 3 by this summer lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
High Stakes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Yeah I do Edexcel too so I was a bit stumped when this OCR question popped up. But, that's what we want to avoid. We need to be able to apply our knowledge to a variety of different situations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (726)
33.81%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (920)
42.85%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (407)
18.96%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (94)
4.38%

Watched Threads