The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

Accomodation at Kent

When applying for accomodation at Kent, are you able to put down some preferences as to the sort of people you will be placed with? For example, whether you aren't keen on clubbing etc. I know some universities do this, but wasn't able to find out if Kent did or not, so you are placed with more similar people.
Reply 1
Original post by hannah.96
When applying for accomodation at Kent, are you able to put down some preferences as to the sort of people you will be placed with? For example, whether you aren't keen on clubbing etc. I know some universities do this, but wasn't able to find out if Kent did or not, so you are placed with more similar people.

I think so - I went to the applicant open day yesterday and the tour guide said that you are placed with people of similar interests. So apparently yes.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
-_-
I've already applied and didn't know there was such possibility.
I'm not keen on clubbing either.......
Well, not in great detail - but IIRC, it does give you the option to select if you 'have early nights/early mornings' etc. and keep noise to a minimum etc.
There's no way to do that. They just place you randomly. I got on with NO ONE in my flat, they were so boring and awkward. But then again, most people at that University are boring and awkward ... and weird so no wonder I left :rolleyes:
Original post by scrunkie
There's no way to do that.

... I applied for accommodation twice at Kent. Once for UG and for PG. I certainly answered (albeit limited) options about my preferences. Admittedly, those were default and I didn't need to specify any preference.

They just place you randomly.

Within your parameters, yes this is true.

I got on with NO ONE in my flat, they were so boring and awkward. But then again, most people at that University are boring and awkward ... and weird so no wonder I left :rolleyes:

How is that at all helpful to an applicants thread?
Original post by Champagne Supernova
... I applied for accommodation twice at Kent. Once for UG and for PG. I certainly answered (albeit limited) options about my preferences. Admittedly, those were default and I didn't need to specify any preference.
Within your parameters, yes this is true.
How is that at all helpful to an applicants thread?

Why do I care if it's helpful? I'm saying it can happen, University isn't all rainbows and flowers you know. Sometimes people get put with people they wouldn't necessarily get on with, or wouldn't choose to be put with themselves. It's reality.
Why do I care if it's helpful?

Fair enough. I feel that "There's no way to do that. They just place you randomly" answers the question sufficiently. Even up to "I got on with NO ONE in my flat, they were so boring and awkward" is still relevant.

But "But then again, most people at that University are boring and awkward ... and weird so no wonder I left" is clearly antagonistic. OP and others reading this are clearly applying to university and being tarred with the brush of 'weird and boring' before they've even set foot there based on a personal experience is not only irrelevant but a bit harsh tbf.

I'm saying it can happen, University isn't all rainbows and flowers you know. Sometimes people get put with people they wouldn't necessarily get on with, or wouldn't choose to be put with themselves. It's reality.

So you're stating the obvious? Surely by OP even making this thread they're very aware of this but it's worth a query and a punt to see if you can ease the process in anyway. That's not a bad thing. I can't imagine OP or anyone is going to get too upset if it doesn't work out that way but there's no harm in trying.
Fair enough. I feel that "There's no way to do that. They just place you randomly" answers the question sufficiently. Even up to "I got on with NO ONE in my flat, they were so boring and awkward" is still relevant.

But "But then again, most people at that University are boring and awkward ... and weird so no wonder I left" is clearly antagonistic. OP and others reading this are clearly applying to university and being tarred with the brush of 'weird and boring' before they've even set foot there based on a personal experience is not only irrelevant but a bit harsh tbf.

So you're stating the obvious? Surely by OP even making this thread they're very aware of this but it's worth a query and a punt to see if you can ease the process in anyway. That's not a bad thing. I can't imagine OP or anyone is going to get too upset if it doesn't work out that way but there's no harm in trying.

Lmao they're on TSR, what exactly do they expect? I told him/her the truth and my experience because I felt like doing so and because it wasn't only me who had the same experience, practically everyone I met had **** flatmates. Anyway, no idea why you care so much:s-smilie:
Lmao they're on TSR, what exactly do they expect? I told him/her the truth and my experience because I felt like doing so. No idea why you care so much:s-smilie:

Cause I don't like being accused of being (well, formerly) weird and boring? :dontknow:

Idk, whatever mate.
Cause I don't like being accused of being (well, formerly) weird and boring? :dontknow:

Idk, whatever mate.

Sorry where did I say you were boring? I said MOST people I met there are boring. Not everyone is boring. Might wanna learn how to read properly.:rolleyes:
Sorry where did I say you were boring? I said MOST people I met there are boring. Not everyone is boring. Might wanna learn how to read properly.:rolleyes:

I realise you haven't personally accused me of that. The implication is made for it to apply to anyone at Kent though really, funnily enough most people would consider themselves to be 'most people.' Textbook generalisation.

Anyway, this thread's becoming pretty derailed - admittedly mainly my fault.
Reply 12
There's no way to do that. They just place you randomly. I got on with NO ONE in my flat, they were so boring and awkward. But then again, most people at that University are boring and awkward ... and weird so no wonder I left :rolleyes:

I think it's all very subjective.I'm dead sure I'm boring in your eyes.My flatmates on the other hand are party animals and always doing something crazy.I can't cope with them; I need ''boring'' people around me.
Original post by rile06
I think it's all very subjective.I'm dead sure I'm boring in your eyes.My flatmates on the other hand are party animals and always doing something crazy.I can't cope with them; I need ''boring'' people around me.

Sure, the 'boring' people I meant were the ones I saw once throughout the whole year, which was half of my flat (3 people) and I'm honestly not even over-exaggerating, if you asked me their names, I'd have no clue. Don't even remember what they look like tbh.
Sure, the 'boring' people I meant were the ones I saw once throughout the whole year, which was half of my flat (3 people) and I'm honestly not even over-exaggerating, if you asked me their names, I'd have no clue. Don't even remember what they look like tbh.

I think that says more about you than it does about them.
Original post by almostmaybe
I think that says more about you than it does about them.

Really? What does it say? The fact that NO ONE else in the flat ever saw them and people thought we just had empty rooms doesn't say anything about me so.
Hi everyone

Basically in a bit of a dilemma...
Im booked in for student accommodation for next in Phase 2 Liberty Quays Medway Campus but am moving to a house in Canterbury instead and Liberty Quays wont let me out of the lease without finding someone to replace me.

Its an ensuite single room with a double bed, desk space, loads of shelving and a large built in wardrobe. You'll be sharing the flat with 8 other people. The kitchens quiet big with two ovens, massive fridges and a sofa area for when you have flat parties or extra people wanna stay over. I've already paid the deposit meaning at the end of the year as long as you rooms still intact you basically get a free £200 quid Its all just a case of transferring the contract to your name and the rooms yours.

My number is 07504879613 so message me if your interested and we can sort out all the details

THANK YOU

and in terms with who your placed with its all a lucky draw really x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending