Why are/aren't YOU voting? Watch

ThalanirIII
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Having recently made an account on TSR after reading what might well be called a sh*t ton of discussions about the election, I think I understand why people are voting for whichever party they are, but I still don't understand why some people don't vote at all! Is it pure apathy, 'it's too much effort', you can't find a party that's good enough, the belief that one vote won't matter? I'd appreciate some explanation please!
effofex
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ThalanirIII)
Having recently made an account on TSR after reading what might well be called a sh*t ton of discussions about the election, I think I understand why people are voting for whichever party they are, but I still don't understand why some people don't vote at all! Is it pure apathy, 'it's too much effort', you can't find a party that's good enough, the belief that one vote won't matter? I'd appreciate some explanation please!
In the UK, elections are won on the basis of a first-part the post system. So there are constituencies where there are lots of 'wasted votes' when one party has a clear majority. If you live in one of those constituencies and you know that your life and the lives of most people around you aren't really going to be impacted that mcuh regardless of which of the 2 frontrunners win, then what the impact of your one vote isn't really going to make a jot of difference, whether you wanted to vote for the current incumbent/favourite or for the second-most popular party.

e.g. North Yorkshire. Or Newham.
ThalanirIII
Rep:
?
(Original post by effofex)
In the UK, elections are won on the basis of a first-part the post system. So there are constituencies where there are lots of 'wasted votes' when one party has a clear majority. If you live in one of those constituencies and you know that your life and the lives of most people around you aren't really going to be impacted that mcuh regardless of which of the 2 frontrunners win, then what the impact of your one vote isn't really going to make a jot of difference, whether you wanted to vote for the current incumbent/favourite or for the second-most popular party.

e.g. North Yorkshire. Or Newham.
That's true, and in certain areas there is very little point in voting against 'the establishment', but for example in Sheffield Hallam, where Nick Clegg - the bane of all students currently in uni - is standing, there are still apathetic students who wouldn't vote even though they might remove him from his seat. I'm trying to find out why these people won't vote even to spite someone who made them pay an extra £3000/year.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
i shall be voting to annoy Mr Brand
Choppie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That's true, and in certain areas there is very little point in voting against 'the establishment', but for example in Sheffield Hallam, where Nick Clegg - the bane of all students currently in uni - is standing, there are still apathetic students who wouldn't vote even though they might remove him from his seat. I'm trying to find out why these people won't vote even to spite someone who made them pay an extra £3000/year.
I am a Liberal Democrat and a student. I still support Nick Clegg despite the tuition fees disaster. My reasons for this are generally because he did not know that he could pledge what he was, was well meaning by pledging it, and has done many many good things in this government to limit the damage of the Conservatives. Let's not forget, Nick Clegg is far from the policy maker in this government, and if the Tories want something, they will get it.

Now, I will be voting, despite the fact that my constituency (Fareham) has been Conservative for 130 years (since 1885). Yes, they have a stranglehold on it, but my vote will still make the number of votes again them rise, and eventually they will take notice. If you want something to change, you have to be the change.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I won't be voting because there is not one party I can support.
ThalanirIII
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sephiroth)
Why not? Surely the only way to get something/someone you do support is to take an active part in the process? Not every candidate is an exact replica of their respective leaders, so are you unable to support any party's policies or is it the ones specifically in your constituency?
DiddyDec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I shall be voting, but only because I don't want UKIP to be in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
TenOfThem
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I believe that voting is a responsibility ... I would be in favour of compulsory voting (including a none of the above box
gr8wizard10
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
cba tbh srs
ToBeHeard
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I want to vote but I won't be 18 until August so I'm not eligible.
Floydacious
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not British so I can't vote, but more importantly if I was I couldn't be arsed.
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
I shall be voting, but only because I don't want UKIP to be in power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
UKIP will never get in power, they will be lucky to get 5 seats even though they will have the 3rd highest share of the votes (according to every poll in the last few years). They are expected to come second in over 100 constituencies according to Guardian and Independent. Your vote will make no difference in stopping them. Labour will most likely win the election and make a coalition with the SNP. What world do you live in that UKIP will be in power?
ThalanirIII
Rep:
?
(Original post by Floydacious)
I'm not British so I can't vote, but more importantly if I was I couldn't be arsed.
OK - but why couldn't you? I mean surely it's a good idea to have some say - even if it's a small one - on how the country and local area is run?
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Why not? Surely the only way to get something/someone you do support is to take an active part in the process? Not every candidate is an exact replica of their respective leaders, so are you unable to support any party's policies or is it the ones specifically in your constituency?
There really isn't much choice.

Lib/Lab/Con = exactly the same = the establishment

SNP/Greens/Plaid Cymru/respect/ect. = exactly the same = far left radicals

UKIP = They are kinda on their own because they are only party who oppose the EU

NI has a good choice but for the rest of us it is out of them 3 ^^
German123
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sephiroth)
How come? there must be at least one party that stands close to your beliefs?

Also, i have heard that you can express your opinion by ticking a cross on your ballot. This basically means that they will get a percentage of those that did not vote.
callum_law
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The place I live votes Labour and has always voted Labour. They will win by a few thousand votes margin at fewest. My vote will not affect who wins.
Sephiroth
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
UKIP's policies are probably closest to what I believe in, however they have questionable views on certain issues that prevent me voting for them.

Labour dominate my area anyway, with almost double the number of votes as the Lib Dems and more than double the number of Conservatives and that isn't going to change because non-voters will suddenly become Labour voters if it looked like the Conservatives stood even half a chance of winning.

I am also against the voting system. It's absurd that a party like UKIP can have the third highest number of votes but get barely any representation in parliament. Then again I'm against democracy as a whole and believe we should move to a technocracy but that's a whole other argument.
DiddyDec
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The two eds)
UKIP will never get in power, they will be lucky to get 5 seats even though they will have the 3rd highest share of the votes (according to every poll in the last few years). They are expected to come second in over 100 constituencies according to Guardian and Independent. Your vote will make no difference in stopping them. Labour will most likely win the election and make a coalition with the SNP. What world do you live in that UKIP will be in power?
They still have a chance to come into power, I simply want to reduce those chances further.
The two eds
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DiddyDec)
They still have a chance to come into power, I simply want to reduce those chances further.
You idiotic fool, if you can not see Labour have won this election already then you are blind. It's a no brainer.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (85)
13.26%
1 (86)
13.42%
2 (83)
12.95%
19.34%
22.15%
18.88%

Watched Threads