janeallen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
How does Steinbeck reflect the themes of violence and oppression in his novella, 'Of mice & men'? How do these themes reflect the time in which the novella was written and set?

It needs to be ;
. 2 sides of a4
. written all in PQE
. contain contextual information

Any help appreciated as having a real mental block on this
HaiHai
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Step-by-step guide:

1. Start by listing all instances of violence and oppression in the book. These might include "when Crooks is treated in X way", or "Lenny's violence towards Curly".

2. Then group your instances by theme. Examples of themes might be "oppression of the outsider", "unintentional violence", or "oppression of women". You should have around five themes, maybe four or six.

3. Underneath each theme title, list the ways in which these instances of violence or oppression reflect history. For example, under "oppression of women" you might write about how women were, at the time, considered the property of men and how this was reflected in, say, divorce laws. Or you might relate "oppression of the outsider" to the way that Crooks is treated, and the Jim Crow Laws of the Southern US at the time.

4. You should now have four-six themes, each with examples from the text and examples from the historical context. Each theme can now be written into one or two paragraphs. Remember: always start with a topic sentence, for example, "Steinbeck also reflects the theme of violence in the unintentionally violent behaviour of Lenny". Then use an example from the text, remembering to quote as evidence, like, "This accidental violence is implied by Lenny's distress when he hurts Curly's hand, 'QUOTE', and...". Then explore contextual links, before returning to a mini-judgement at the end of your paragraph.

Good luck - and pm me if you need any more help!
janeallen
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by HaiHai)
Step-by-step guide:1. Start by listing all instances of violence and oppression in the book. These might include "when Crooks is treated in X way", or "Lenny's violence towards Curly".2. Then group your instances by theme. Examples of themes might be "oppression of the outsider", "unintentional violence", or "oppression of women". You should have around five themes, maybe four or six.3. Underneath each theme title, list the ways in which these instances of violence or oppression reflect history. For example, under "oppression of women" you might write about how women were, at the time, considered the property of men and how this was reflected in, say, divorce laws. Or you might relate "oppression of the outsider" to the way that Crooks is treated, and the Jim Crow Laws of the Southern US at the time.4. You should now have four-six themes, each with examples from the text and examples from the historical context. Each theme can now be written into one or two paragraphs. Remember: always start with a topic sentence, for example, "Steinbeck also reflects the theme of violence in the unintentionally violent behaviour of Lenny". Then use an example from the text, remembering to quote as evidence, like, "This accidental violence is implied by Lenny's distress when he hurts Curly's hand, 'QUOTE', and...". Then explore contextual links, before returning to a mini-judgement at the end of your paragraph.Good luck - and pm me if you need any more help!
Thank you, still struggling, but hopefully once I can get one bit done I will get in to it. Just find it hard to start with as still looking at a blank page. Doesn't help that I do not have the book on me!!
HaiHai
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Aw, can you find a copy online or something?

Make a plan. That way the page is no longer blank and you have something to go back to if you get stuck.
Xzerzes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
'Of Mice and Men is on Netflix at the moment so I'd just watch the movie and bullet-point all the areas in which violence is mentioned or even referred to give myself some notes to refer back to. For this question your probably best aiming for 4 examples in detail to cover the 2 sides
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (172)
14.65%
I'm not sure (54)
4.6%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (344)
29.3%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.98%
I'm not a current university student (569)
48.47%

Watched Threads