The Student Room Group

Cancer Research Internship Scheme

Hi, I've applied for the Summer Cancer Research internship, has anyone else also applied for this? Does anyone know when we'll hear whether we've got an interview? I couldn't find a thread about the internships but perhaps there is one somewhere.

Scroll to see replies

Hi,

I've applied also! Which position did you apply for? I think we won't hear back until after the application deadline (22nd April), so maybe a week or two from then!
Reply 2
Original post by Narglesarecool
Hi,

I've applied also! Which position did you apply for? I think we won't hear back until after the application deadline (22nd April), so maybe a week or two from then!

Awesome! I applied for Public affairs and campaigning and also Policy development as they are both relevant to my degree (Politics). What did you apply for? Ah cool, I didn't see a date on their website so wasn't sure, it must be fairly soon after the 22nd. Fingers crossed!
Oh cool! :smile: I applied for Data Analysis (Clinical Trials), it's quite related to my degree which is Human Biology. I've heard that Cancer Research is a good charity to intern with, their internships are highly recommended. Hopefully we both hear back.

Good luck!
Reply 4
I've applied to the policy development one. Not overly hopeful but you've gotta be in it to win it. Unpaid of course so hopefully I'll have found something by the time it comes round anyway...

I applied for their graduate scheme (public affairs/policy) and didn't even get an interview despite (a) a First in Politics, (b) an internship in Parliament (c) having volunteered for them in one of their shops. It must be ridiculously competitive to get into 'Angel'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by 304820
I've applied to the policy development one. Not overly hopeful but you've gotta be in it to win it. Unpaid of course so hopefully I'll have found something by the time it comes round anyway...

I applied for their graduate scheme (public affairs/policy) and didn't even get an interview despite (a) a First in Politics, (b) an internship in Parliament (c) having volunteered for them in one of their shops. It must be ridiculously competitive to get into 'Angel'.

Oh wow. Didn't realise how competitive it would be. I'm only first year so not that hopeful about getting it but figured it was worth a shot, I've worked in a political think tank so got a bit of experience.

Maybe they have less jobs available in the policy development area compared to fundraising, research etc? I would've thought you'd at least get an interview though. It is featured in the 100 best employers and very few charities are so that's probably part of the reason its so popular.
Reply 6
Original post by Missmoose
Oh wow. Didn't realise how competitive it would be. I'm only first year so not that hopeful about getting it but figured it was worth a shot, I've worked in a political think tank so got a bit of experience.

Maybe they have less jobs available in the policy development area compared to fundraising, research etc? I would've thought you'd at least get an interview though. It is featured in the 100 best employers and very few charities are so that's probably part of the reason its so popular.

Yeah very popular. If I were to ask you to name another charity that runs a big graduate scheme you might struggle. Because of this it is akin to the civil service fast stream in attracting every humanities graduate going. Getting into 'Angel' remains a career dream anyway.
Has anyone who's applied heard back as yet? Maybe I'm being impatient but I'm just so anxious!
Reply 8
Has anyone who's applied heard back as yet? Maybe I'm being impatient but I'm just so anxious!

Not heard a thing. No idea of timetable in terms of hearing back either.
Reply 9

Nothing here either! Dont they say interviews will start on the 7th of may? That's not actually that far away
Reply 10
I just got an email back from them, they said they will get back to applicants about interviews on Tuesday 5th May. So one week today!
That's much longer than I was expecting! Thanks for the info! I think some interviews will be over the phone. I hope this is the case for me as if I do get invited it'll be in between exams.
Reply 12
That's much longer than I was expecting! Thanks for the info! I think some interviews will be over the phone. I hope this is the case for me as if I do get invited it'll be in between exams.

Yeah it seems pretty late! I know, I don't finish my exams til June so would like to have a phone interview too.
Reply 13
I've an interview for some volunteer post at Angel unrelated to the internship scheme. Something that will hopefully show some commitment - if the c. 700 hours I've given in one of their shops over the years isn't enough.... I don't now whether picking the the policy internship was all that wise given how popular an area it is likely to be compared to other less glamorious areas. That said it is the area I'm actually interested in. We shall soon see...
Reply 14
Original post by 304820
I've an interview for some volunteer post at Angel unrelated to the internship scheme. Something that will hopefully show some commitment - if the c. 700 hours I've given in one of their shops over the years isn't enough.... I don't now whether picking the the policy internship was all that wise given how popular an area it is likely to be compared to other less glamorious areas. That said it is the area I'm actually interested in. We shall soon see...

Oh that's good, so it's with Cancer research but not part of the internship scheme then? What kind of role is that? Well you might as well apply to something you are interested in, even if it's more competitive. Do you have previous work experience in a policy role? Did you get your 1st from a top uni too, or a uni reputable in politics? Seems weird that you wouldn't at least get an interview for the internship before.
Reply 15
Oh that's good, so it's with Cancer research but not part of the internship scheme then? What kind of role is that? Well you might as well apply to something you are interested in, even if it's more competitive. Do you have previous work experience in a policy role? Did you get your 1st from a top uni too, or a uni reputable in politics? Seems weird that you wouldn't at least get an interview for the internship before.

Something in their Research Engagement Dept . I have no policy experience (unless you count interning for an MP) but of course that is why you apply to an internship. To gain experience! I find the idea of rejecting someone from an internship for "lack of experience" is ridiculous. I'd consider Nottingham a decent uni. Russell Group. top 20. We should here back in the next week or so.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
I just got an email back from them, they said they will get back to applicants about interviews on Tuesday 5th May. So one week today!

Heard anything yet?
Reply 17
Original post by 304820
Heard anything yet?

Nothing yet and it's nearly the end of the working day :/ Have you?
Reply 18

No. Just sent a polite e-mail given I sent it to them three weeks ago and haven't heard a word....
Reply 19

Got an auto reply saying all applicants will hear by the 7 May....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending