French Tenses Watch

blondebiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can anyone help me learn my french tenses?!?!

I have my as and a2 resit coming up and I'm still struggling with them, imperfect and perfect, conditional and future :mad:

Also what is a past participle, I really should have got these sorted by now.
Firenze26
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by blondebiscuit)
Can anyone help me learn my french tenses?!?!

I have my as and a2 resit coming up and I'm still struggling with them, imperfect and perfect, conditional and future :mad:

Also what is a past participle, I really should have got these sorted by now.
I kind of know what past participles are but. I'm not sure but I think you just like change a part of the present word like how you make fix into fixed but there's like exceptions, which. I think is the. MRS. VANDERTRAMP like how instead of saying eaten, we say ate

I think this is how you do it:

verbs ending -er - take off -er and add -é, eg parlé (spoke)
verbs ending -ir - take off -ir and add -i, eg choisi (chose)
verbs ending -re - take off -re and add -u, eg vendu (sold)

Edit:

Basically, they're the past form of the word, methinks

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar
schmuur
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The past tense that is explained above is the perfect tense. That is used for actions that has only happened once or a countable number of times, as supposed to the imperfect tense which describes a habitual action. For example,
L'année dernière, nous sommes allés en vacances en Inde. Last year, we went on holiday in India.
Quand j'étais petit, nous allions en vacances en Inde. When I was little, we would go on holiday to India.

The MRS VANDERTRAMP thing explained above is used to know which past participles take être. They are normally verbs describing mouvement and come in pairs of opposites (e.g. naître, mourir and arriver,partir). Here are the être verbs:

Monter
Rester
Sortir

Venir
Aller
Naître
Descendre
Entrer
Rentrer
Tomber
Retourner
Arriver
Mourir
Partir

For the other tenses, what exactly are you struggling on? Is it how to form them or when to use them?
blondebiscuit
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by schmuur)
The past tense that is explained above is the perfect tense. That is used for actions that has only happened once or a countable number of times, as supposed to the imperfect tense which describes a habitual action. For example,
L'année dernière, nous sommes allés en vacances en Inde. Last year, we went on holiday in India.
Quand j'étais petit, nous allions en vacances en Inde. When I was little, we would go on holiday to India.

The MRS VANDERTRAMP thing explained above is used to know which past participles take être. They are normally verbs describing mouvement and come in pairs of opposites (e.g. naître, mourir and arriver,partir). Here are the être verbs:

Monter
Rester
Sortir

Venir
Aller
Naître
Descendre
Entrer
Rentrer
Tomber
Retourner
Arriver
Mourir
Partir

For the other tenses, what exactly are you struggling on? Is it how to form them or when to use them?
Its how to form them that i'm struggling on,
By the way thank you for the help so far i appreciate it
TheHonestGuy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Past Participle is the 'ed' part: I have played /j'ai joué (if it is a MRS VAN DER TRAMP, it acts as an adjective, so add e for feminine nouns et cetera)

Think of the perfect as three steps. One is the subject (je/j'), two is the auxilary verb (avoir (ai) or être (suis) and three the past participle (é, i, u).
So j'ai parlé (I've spoke)
j'ai fini (I've finished)
j'ai attendu (I've waited)
je suis allé (aller is a MRS VAN DER TRAMP) - obviously there are loads of irregulars, use your dictionary

With conditional and future, you just leave the verb in the infinitive (parler, finir - except re verbs take off the e apprendr- it must end in r) and add the according ending. Future has the same ending as avoir conjugation.
je parlerai (I will speak) - j'ai (I have)
tu parleras (You will speak) - tu as (you have)
il/elle/on parlera (he/she/one will speak) - il/elle/on a (he/she/one has)
You get the idea

Imperfect has the same endings as the condtional
je - ais
tu - ais
il/elle/on ait
nous - ions
vous - iez
ils/elles - aient

With imperfect you go to the nous form of the verb (whatever pronoun) and knock off the ons - that is really for ir verbs though - you can just knock off the er or re for the rest and then add the according ending.

1. je finissions Nous form, even with je
2. je finissi Take off ons
3. je finissiais Add ending

Sorry there is loads of bold stuff, but that is about it. Imperfect is the most difficult in my opinion though
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Birmingham
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • King's College London
    Postgraduate Taught Courses - Arts & Sciences - Strand Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19
  • University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (33)
13.87%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (21)
8.82%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (50)
21.01%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (34)
14.29%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (29)
12.18%
How can I be the best version of myself? (71)
29.83%

Watched Threads