The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Triple Science Grades

Hello, this is just a quick question regarding grade averages.
I received just under an A* in my biology coursework. I'm a perfectionist and this frustrated me as I am predicted an A*. I just wanted to know whether I would have to get A*'s in my B1, B2 and B3 exam for me to achieve an overall A*? If I achieved one A and two A*'s, would I still be awarded an A or an A*?
Being as each part is worth 25%, I was curious as to what 50% A and 50% A* would equal out to.
Sorry, I'm worried this sounds a little silly! :redface:
I may retake it to ensure I get an A*.
I've had a conditional offer from Hills Road to study geology, biology, geography and psychology; the grade requirements for biology are an A so an A* isn't a necessity. I just intend on getting the highest grade I possibly can.... Any help would be much appreciated! I've looked on The Student Room before, but this is my first post.
Reply 1
Original post by georgie_axolotls
I received just under an A* in my biology coursework. I'm a perfectionist and this frustrated me as I am predicted an A*. I just wanted to know whether I would have to get A*'s in my B1, B2 and B3 exam for me to achieve an overall A*? If I achieved one A and two A*'s, would I still be awarded an A or an A*?
Being as each part is worth 25%, I was curious as to what 50% A and 50% A* would equal out to.

The GCSE is out of 320, with 80 marks available from each unit. If you get at least 288 overall you will get an A*. So, assuming your 'just under and A*' is 69/80, you would need an average of 73/80 in the 3 exam units to acheive an A* overall.
Original post by Compost
The GCSE is out of 320, with 80 marks available from each unit. If you get at least 288 overall you will get an A*. So, assuming your 'just under and A*' is 69/80, you would need an average of 73/80 in the 3 exam units to acheive an A* overall.

The coursework was out of 40? I believe each paper is 60 marks too?
Reply 3
The coursework was out of 40? I believe each paper is 60 marks too?

That's the raw marks, but these are then converted into UMS marks. The grade is worked out on UMS marks.
Original post by Compost
That's the raw marks, but these are then converted into UMS marks. The grade is worked out on UMS marks.

I've just looked on the edexcel website! Thank you; sorry to ask such an an amateurish question!
Sorry, I'm worried this sounds a little silly! :redface:
I may retake it to ensure I get an A*.
I've had a conditional offer from Hills Road to study geology, biology, geography and psychology; the grade requirements for biology are an A so an A* isn't a necessity. I just intend on getting the highest grade I possibly can.... Any help would be much appreciated! I've looked on The Student Room before, but this is my first post.

I attend hills wooooo!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending