The Student Room Group

How to become an accountant without a degree in accountancy?

Hi,

I firmed a place to study Economics at Nottingham University and would very much like to work for a Big 4 accountancy firm post-graduation.

However, I'm unsure how to do this. I presume I just apply for graduate schemes with them, but what exactly is the process? What additional exams do I need to take to qualify, how do I take them, and how long does it take?

Also, I plan to open my own accountancy firm after I've gained the necessary experience and qualifications. Are additional qualifications needed to do this?

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
A degree in accountancy is useful but not essential. There are several accountancy qualifications you can do, the most popular being ACA, ACCA and CIMA. Big 4 grads do the ACA which qualifies you to do statutory audits. Just apply when the grad schemes open (usually in the Summer the year before).

The recruitment process for the Big 4 firms are all similar. It's usually an application, psychometric tests, then telephone interview, assessment centre (comprising of retesting, group interview and competency interview), and if you get through all of that, a partner interview at the end. The top 20 firms all have similar processes.

ACA training contracts are 3 years long, there are 15 exams to be completed and you also need to do 450 days of technical work experience. You'll usually do these in batches throughout your 3 year TC.
Original post by Kre
A degree in accountancy is useful but not essential. There are several accountancy qualifications you can do, the most popular being ACA, ACCA and CIMA. Big 4 grads do the ACA which qualifies you to do statutory audits. Just apply when the grad schemes open (usually in the Summer the year before).

The recruitment process for the Big 4 firms are all similar. It's usually an application, psychometric tests, then telephone interview, assessment centre (comprising of retesting, group interview and competency interview), and if you get through all of that, a partner interview at the end. The top 20 firms all have similar processes.

ACA training contracts are 3 years long, there are 15 exams to be completed and you also need to do 450 days of technical work experience. You'll usually do these in batches throughout your 3 year TC.

Thanks for the insight!

So to clarify, when you apply for graduate programmes at the Big 4, you're registered with an ACA TC?

What's ICAEW for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Exceptional
Thanks for the insight!

So to clarify, when you apply for graduate programmes at the Big 4, you're registered with an ACA TC?

What's ICAEW for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you get a TC, your employer will take you through the process of registering with the ICAEW.

You'll be registered as a student with the ICAEW. The ICAEW is the body which issues the ACA qualification. Upon completion of the ACA, you'll be invited to register as a full member with the ICAEW.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending