Was Piaget a social constructivist? Watch

Hannahmay01
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Was Piaget a social constructivist? Its been a long time since I studied psychology and I'm now studying Piaget for Primary Education.
iammichealjackson
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
To Piaget, all "knowledge" is constructed. His theory is meant to apply to all cultures in the same way, in that they develop the same knowledge structures (so knowledge itself isn't the product of culture, but its development is helped by parents, teachers and peers). This can be contrasted to Vygotsky who sees cognitive "tools" that children develop as the product of culture first, then transmitted to the child.

Theres a really good book by Piaget's colloborators who begin to experimentally study the effect of teaching on cognition, and in the introduction they talk about the relationship between learning and cognition in Piaget's theory. Its called "Learning and the development of cognition" by INHELDER. The first chapter is really easy to read (compared to Piaget, who is really hard to read) and sums up the theory!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bath
    Undergraduate Virtual Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Ravensbourne University London
    School of Design, School of Media Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19
  • Leeds Trinity University
    PGCE Open Day Further education
    Sat, 23 Feb '19

Is the plastic tax enough to protect the environment?

Yes (14)
5.91%
No (223)
94.09%

Watched Threads