The Student Room Group

How to revise from CGP Science guides?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TS21
What did you get in your other subjects?

Grades? All A*s, I did 12 last year and 1 (PE) the year before

Although I used very different techniques for each subject..
Reply 21
Original post by somegirlcalledea
Grades? All A*s, I did 12 last year and 1 (PE) the year before

Although I used very different techniques for each subject..
Business (WJEC)
Spanish, Reading and Listening (AQA)
R.E. (EDEXCEL)
History- Germany and Crime and Punishment (OCR)
English Language (IGCSE)
English Literature (WJEC) Of mice and men, Heroes and an inspector Calls and unseen poetry
Triple Biology, Chemistry and Physics (AQA)
Mathematics (EDEXCEL)

Could you give me tips for these, for the ones you did do
Original post by TS21
I really need to know how to specifically revise the science guides by CGP
I haven't got too till my exams, im aiming for an A and i do triple science. Any tips ? thanks

Pick up your CGP books

Find the nearest rubbish bin

Place each book in the rubbish bin

Print out the last 10 past papers and do all of them

Original post by TS21
Could you give me tips for these, for the ones you did do

Apologies for not being able to help with business :dontknow:

Maths: did every past paper I could find. Marked it against the markscheme and then practised my areas of weakness by doing a gap analysis type of thing and working on the areas I performed less well on.

Spanish: (I did German but same principles) I occasionally listened to radio stations that broadcast in German- something my teacher told me to do to help with listening. Again, lots of past papers for both reading and listening. Looked over key words/vocabulary and found some synonyms for common words (boring/difficult/happy/expensive etc).

RE: wrote out key teachings and statistics on small flashcards and colour coded them according to topic/religion. Tested myself with my friends (verbal questions)

History: (I did a different exam board so not sure exactly what you study) I made giant wall posters of the timeline of Germany (each one for a different part, e.g weimar+treaty of versailles , Hitler getting into power, Hitler indoctrination (Hitler youth, employment programs, religion etc), German economy- 5 year plan etc. Didn't do crime and punishment though :frown:

English language: did a few past papers and went over exam technique but didn't do much other revision.

Eng lit: summarised each chapter- any themes/symbolism/events. Analysed each character- symbolism (e.g curleys wife in doorways to suggest loneliness)/significance/themes. For an inspector calls I also looked at "who" the inspector was (conscience, god, future etc). Analysed the setting- what it added or suggested to the plot, key characteristics. Looked at context for any relevant texts (e.g. Omam was about the American dream, lots of prejudice towards black people/women/disabled)

I've already done science for you :smile:

In summary: practise loads-past papers and mark schemes are your best friends! Learn the content actively, don't just read (unless it really works for you)- try and make notes/diagrams so you take in what you need!
Reply 24
Apologies for not being able to help with business :dontknow:

Maths: did every past paper I could find. Marked it against the markscheme and then practised my areas of weakness by doing a gap analysis type of thing and working on the areas I performed less well on.

Spanish: (I did German but same principles) I occasionally listened to radio stations that broadcast in German- something my teacher told me to do to help with listening. Again, lots of past papers for both reading and listening. Looked over key words/vocabulary and found some synonyms for common words (boring/difficult/happy/expensive etc).

RE: wrote out key teachings and statistics on small flashcards and colour coded them according to topic/religion. Tested myself with my friends (verbal questions)

History: (I did a different exam board so not sure exactly what you study) I made giant wall posters of the timeline of Germany (each one for a different part, e.g weimar+treaty of versailles , Hitler getting into power, Hitler indoctrination (Hitler youth, employment programs, religion etc), German economy- 5 year plan etc. Didn't do crime and punishment though :frown:

English language: did a few past papers and went over exam technique but didn't do much other revision.

Eng lit: summarised each chapter- any themes/symbolism/events. Analysed each character- symbolism (e.g curleys wife in doorways to suggest loneliness)/significance/themes. For an inspector calls I also looked at "who" the inspector was (conscience, god, future etc). Analysed the setting- what it added or suggested to the plot, key characteristics. Looked at context for any relevant texts (e.g. Omam was about the American dream, lots of prejudice towards black people/women/disabled)

I've already done science for you :smile:

In summary: practise loads-past papers and mark schemes are your best friends! Learn the content actively, don't just read (unless it really works for you)- try and make notes/diagrams so you take in what you need!
THANK YOUUU!
Original post by TS21

THANK YOUUU!

No problem :smile: if you need anything else just PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem :smile: if you need anything else just PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you do any FSMQ, I DO OCR'S Additional Maths. Any tips for me?
Original post by Student-Mo
Do you do any FSMQ, I DO OCR'S Additional Maths. Any tips for me?

No idea what fsmq is sorry :dontknow:

Additional maths I would just do past papers- if you run out of OCR ones try different exam boards as they also give you a chance to test your skills! Theres also a lot of websites with maths questions by topic so work out which area you struggle with and use those.

Edit: realised I did know what it was! I don't do it personally but that's how I approach any maths exam/test.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TS21
I really need to know how to specifically revise the science guides by CGP
I haven't got too till my exams, im aiming for an A and i do triple science. Any tips ? thanks

Do a topic at a time when you've finished a topic do a past paper (there are loads). Then once you've marked the paper do the revision summary questions and after you've done all three/five/six topics in a unit, make a mind-map (like on this website) for the entire unit and improve your answers to the revision summary questions.
Original post by TS21
Spanish, Reading and Listening (AQA)
Mathematics (EDEXCEL)

Reading - Past Papers
Listening - Past Papers
Maths - Past Papers!

For the Listening do the paper, mark it and then listen again, write out exactly what you here, listen to it as many times as you like, when you're happy compare you version to the transcript and see the difference, then compare the transcript to your answers and the mark scheme and learn from your mistakes.

For maths try some practise papers. These will be significantly harder than past papers and the questions will be so strange you'll be prepared for whatever they throw at you!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by 04MR17
Do a topic at a time when you've finished a topic do a past paper (there are loads). Then once you've marked the paper do the revision summary questions and after you've done all three/five/six topics in a unit, make a mind-map (like on this website) for the entire unit and improve your answers to the revision summary questions.

Cheers, just one thing, when you say topic? what do you mean because, there is more than 6 topics in unit, theres 20 odd aha
Original post by TS21
Cheers, just one thing, when you say topic? what do you mean because, there is more than 6 topics in unit, theres 20 odd aha

What exam board are you on? By topic I mean the group between one revision summary and the next. On Edexcel (my board) Biology has 3 topics a unit, Chemistry has 5 and Physics has two 6s and a 5 but these can be grouped into two or three like Biology.
Reply 33
Original post by 04MR17
What exam board are you on? By topic I mean the group between one revision summary and the next. On Edexcel (my board) Biology has 3 topics a unit, Chemistry has 5 and Physics has two 6s and a 5 but these can be grouped into two or three like Biology.

AQA
Original post by TS21
AQA

Okay so there is 8 topics in B1, group that into two: 1-4 and 5-8 (hopefully CGP have done it like that as well). Revise 1/2 of the unit then - past paper. Revise other half, then -mindmap. After that Revision Summary! Then Past Paper. when you come round to going over this unit you look back at the page and compare it to your answer. Add detail and then - Past Paper!
I did triple science and I got all A*s from them because flash cards are life savers. If you make them and keep going over it you'll know it like the back of your hand

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by asdfaeth
I did triple science and I got all A*s from them because flash cards are life savers. If you make them and keep going over it you'll know it like the back of your hand

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you just keep reading them?
Reply 37
I used the specification for science, each subject specification is available on the exam board website and it meant I learnt exactly what I needed to know and no unhelpful/useless facts!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't find AQA and Edexcel specifications for other subjects besides science. Could you possibly give my the link to them?:smile: Thanks
Reply 38
Original post by Samistrawberry
Ahh okay yeh I used youtube too.In fact I just recently found this new youtuber- GCSEGUIDE and he has really good revision vids :fluffy:

Same here I used that guy too ( the GCSE GUIDE) 😸 his videos are like 3 mins or so but they work for me, try and see it yourself
Original post by TS21
Did you just keep reading them?

yeah over and over, and past papers. with past papers the questions you get wrong you should write on the flash cards aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending