The Student Room Group

heartbroken he lost me ... But doesn't want me back ?!?!

Going to uni killed us. We had an amazing 2 years prior to this , said he would fight to keep me .... Until we got there of course. He was soon playing hard and I was squeezed out but we managed to limp through first year and had an amazing summer. Then it all started again . I was getting in the way of his fun and by end of freshers it was over. He couldn't quite let go of me though and was soon back in touch. I read this as wanting me back but my friends said he just wanted to control me and stop me moving on. This went on till I met someone else recently . I told my ex I was moving on and he cried like a baby and said he would never ever get over me. I thought of how he had treated me though and stayed strong but unfirtunately because I was still in love with him it was too hard to see another guy and it never got off the ground . My ex knows this but says I've hurt him too much right now to be together but is happy to meet now and again and stay in touch . Surely if he was so devastated at losing me he would want me back or am I being naive ? He also says I'm lucky he's speaking to me at all. Can't make sense of it all :frown: maybe there is some hope though if he's happy to meet up
He doesn't deserve you.
It comes and goes
Reply 3
Original post by godivaontherocks
He doesn't deserve you.

.... Thanks .... So would you agree with of what I'm suspecting that ibstead jumping at the chance to make sure he doesn't lose me again he is just manipulating me ... Saying he's too hurt as an excuse rather than being straight that he doesn't want me ...
Dealt with something similar but not my boyfriend, it was my best friend. All these promises are made before heading to uni without really knowing how much you can both change. Your friends were right, he does sound like he wants to stop you from moving on. He wants to live his life like any young person does but expects you to pine for him without getting in his way. He sounds like he hasn't matured enough to appreciate the most important people in his life. And surely you deserve more. Uni's great but it doesn't last. The friends you make are not always for life. And the people you leave behind can't be expected to keep chasing you and not live their own lives. He will come to regret what he's stepped over. But you are holding yourself back and allowing him to step all over you. It's not your fault, you sound like you've been a great girlfriend. But it sounds like he probably wants the comfort of the relationship. Hopefully one day after he graduates he will realise how hard it has been on you and apologise. Maybe take a break from each other for a while and see how you both feel about it?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
.... Thanks .... So would you agree with of what I'm suspecting that ibstead jumping at the chance to make sure he doesn't lose me again he is just manipulating me ... Saying he's too hurt as an excuse rather than being straight that he doesn't want me ...

I suspect he is anxious about being replaced by another guy because he wants your life to revolve around him and he'll miss the comfort and security of being in a relationship with you. I'm sure he cares about you a lot - things are never completely black and white. But sometimes relationships are really tested when people move away. He sounds like he's been quite selfish and not thinking of how you have been handling everything too.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
Honestly he sounds like a dick. He can't string you along like that when you clearly love him. If he loved you as much as he made out he did he wouldn't have been an ashole when you got to uni. You need to move on as best you can, he's using you as a comfort blanket: Someone he can go back to should he need to if he's lonely or wants something else. Sorry I'm Fuming, I've had a similar relationship to this and I still haven't told him where to stick it.... I'm a hypocrite but I get it, it's hard.
Reply 7
Dealt with something similar but not my boyfriend, it was my best friend. All these promises are made before heading to uni without really knowing how much you can both change. Your friends were right, he does sound like he wants to stop you from moving on. He wants to live his life like any young person does but expects you to pine for him without getting in his way. He sounds like he hasn't matured enough to appreciate the most important people in his life. And surely you deserve more. Uni's great but it doesn't last. The friends you make are not always for life. And the people you leave behind can't be expected to keep chasing you and live their own lives. He will come to regret what he's stepped over. But you are holding yourself back and allowing him to step all over you. It's not your fault, you sound like you've been a great girlfriend. But it sounds like he probably wants the comfort of the relationship. Hopefully one day after he graduates he will realise how hard it has been on you and apologise. Maybe take a break from each other for a while and see how you both feel about it?

Thank you .... I appreciate your insight :smile: he's making me feel incredibly guilty for what I've done (although he didnt want me) and the fact he's saying he isn't closing the door completely on a reconciliation is just too damned confusing . Everyone says like you - should be tripping over himself to stake his claim but he isn't . Maybe I'm just good for his ego and that's it :frown:
Thank you .... I appreciate your insight :smile: he's making me feel incredibly guilty for what I've done (although he didnt want me) and the fact he's saying he isn't closing the door completely on a reconciliation is just too damned confusing . Everyone says like you - should be tripping over himself to stake his claim but he isn't . Maybe I'm just good for his ego and that's it :frown:

He needs to grow the hell up and be a man. Part of being a man is learning to make important decisions and standing up for what you believe in and what you want in life. You can't wait around waiting for him to grow up when there are guys out there who really are good guys who will treat you as you should be treated in a mature, loving relationship. I understand it will be very difficult to let go. But it sounds like he's held you back long enough. He wants that door to remain open so that he can come running back to comfort and security and your affection and love once his fun's run out. And yes, I am sure you are also a great ego boost for him.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TMFleur
Honestly he sounds like a dick. He can't string you along like that when you clearly love him. If he loved you as much as he made out he did he wouldn't have been an ashole when you got to uni. You need to move on as best you can, he's using you as a comfort blanket: Someone he can go back to should he need to if he's lonely or wants something else. Sorry I'm Fuming, I've had a similar relationship to this and I still haven't told him where to stick it.... I'm a hypocrite but I get it, it's hard.

Couldn't have put it better, I completely agree. I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar situation and I hope you find the courage to figure everything out. Best of luck. x
Reply 10
Couldn't have put it better, I completely agree. I'm sorry to hear you're in a similar situation and I hope you find the courage to figure everything out. Best of luck. x

Thanks, I hope so too!
Going to uni killed us. We had an amazing 2 years prior to this , said he would fight to keep me .... Until we got there of course. He was soon playing hard and I was squeezed out but we managed to limp through first year and had an amazing summer. Then it all started again . I was getting in the way of his fun and by end of freshers it was over. He couldn't quite let go of me though and was soon back in touch. I read this as wanting me back but my friends said he just wanted to control me and stop me moving on. This went on till I met someone else recently . I told my ex I was moving on and he cried like a baby and said he would never ever get over me. I thought of how he had treated me though and stayed strong but unfirtunately because I was still in love with him it was too hard to see another guy and it never got off the ground . My ex knows this but says I've hurt him too much right now to be together but is happy to meet now and again and stay in touch . Surely if he was so devastated at losing me he would want me back or am I being naive ? He also says I'm lucky he's speaking to me at all. Can't make sense of it all :frown: maybe there is some hope though if he's happy to meet up

According to me i think he is showing u a bit of attitude to make you care about him..if he says ur lucky he is speaking to u that just means that he has moved on and that he doesn't want you to move on...Take my advice and move on..if he says he wants you than ask him till what extent can he go to prove his love for you..
Original post by Mihir talsania
According to me i think he is showing u a bit of attitude to make you care about him..if he says ur lucky he is speaking to u that just means that he has moved on and that he doesn't want you to move on...Take my advice and move on..if he says he wants you than ask him till what extent can he go to prove his love for you..

Thanks so the fact I saw another guy briefly and broke his heart * cough* shouldn't stop him wanting to be with me then ... Excuses excuses :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending