The Student Room Group

Foundation Degrees: What's the Difference?

Hello, this is the first question I've ever posted on this website so apologies if I've done anything wrong like posted it in the wrong place :')

Basically I did terribly at college and got bad A-Levels, as a result I decided to do an apprenticeship for a year in Business Admin. After doing this for 7 months I've decided to keep my options open for the end of my placement and apply to uni just to see if I would get accepted onto anything. I have been accepted onto 2 foundation degrees, both at Leeds City College. I am happy and excited as living in Leeds is something I've been interested in for a while, but I just wanted to know if anyone here had any advice on what a foundation degree actually is?

They are both 2 year long courses. To my understanding, after these 2 years I receive a Foundation Degree (fdA). I then have the option to do a Top Up year which will bring my overall qualification to Bachelor's Degree (BA). Is this correct? Because I have friends who are doing foundation degrees in Art and Design and there's is only 1 year long and they must apply for a normal 3 year long BA degree after that, so very confused.

If this is correct and I get a BA after my top up year, will this be as prestigious as other people's degrees who went straight to uni?
Original post by goodyboy96
Hello, this is the first question I've ever posted on this website so apologies if I've done anything wrong like posted it in the wrong place :')

Basically I did terribly at college and got bad A-Levels, as a result I decided to do an apprenticeship for a year in Business Admin. After doing this for 7 months I've decided to keep my options open for the end of my placement and apply to uni just to see if I would get accepted onto anything. I have been accepted onto 2 foundation degrees, both at Leeds City College. I am happy and excited as living in Leeds is something I've been interested in for a while, but I just wanted to know if anyone here had any advice on what a foundation degree actually is?

They are both 2 year long courses. To my understanding, after these 2 years I receive a Foundation Degree (fdA). I then have the option to do a Top Up year which will bring my overall qualification to Bachelor's Degree (BA). Is this correct? Because I have friends who are doing foundation degrees in Art and Design and there's is only 1 year long and they must apply for a normal 3 year long BA degree after that, so very confused.

If this is correct and I get a BA after my top up year, will this be as prestigious as other people's degrees who went straight to uni?

Yes, that is correct. Art foundation courses are different things entirely, they are just a way for students to learn new skills and put together portfolios before they start their degree.

I don't know if this way of getting a degree is less prestigious, I suspect the majority of employers and graduate schemes won't care. If you have looked at the top-up course and are happy that is what you want to do after you have finished the foundation degree, then go for it!

Universities tend to offer better bursaries and facilities than FE colleges, and university provided student accommodation is often cheaper than renting privately (does Leeds City College have any accommodation or will you have to rent?) - those are the only disadvantages to your plan that I can see.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Hey, I got accepted onto the Applied Computing foundation degree at Leeds City College to and accepted my place. (Well done on getting yours!) I also royally messed up my A Levels. Leeds City College is owned by Leeds Beckett and I know they share halls of residences with the College (https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/accommodation/leeds-city-college-he-applicants.htm)
From my understanding after talking to the college a normal degree is split into three years with different levels;
Year 1 - Level 4, Year 2 - Level 5 then, Year 3 - Level 6.
Whereas the Foundation Degree is two years at Level 5 then the option to top up to Level 6 with the 3rd Year.
I don't know if this is right or not but thats how it was described for me!
Good luck :smile:
Maybe see you in September! :P
Reply 3
Original post by ChloeU56
Hey, I got accepted onto the Applied Computing foundation degree at Leeds City College to and accepted my place. (Well done on getting yours!) I also royally messed up my A Levels. Leeds City College is owned by Leeds Beckett and I know they share halls of residences with the College (https://www.leedsbeckett.ac.uk/accommodation/leeds-city-college-he-applicants.htm)
From my understanding after talking to the college a normal degree is split into three years with different levels;
Year 1 - Level 4, Year 2 - Level 5 then, Year 3 - Level 6.
Whereas the Foundation Degree is two years at Level 5 then the option to top up to Level 6 with the 3rd Year.
I don't know if this is right or not but thats how it was described for me!
Good luck :smile:
Maybe see you in September! :P

Well done on getting onto yours! I've got my accommodation sorted at Mill Street :smile:

That makes a lot of sense, thank you for that! And yeah see you around college :smile:
From their website:

"Leeds City College Higher Education courses are validated by either Teesside University, Leeds Beckett University, University of Bradford, University of Huddersfield or Edexcel."

If you want to do a top-up year, you may have to do it at the specific university that validates the foundation degree, so you should check out which one that is, and decide if you would be happy to go there for the third year.

One advantage of doing a foundation degree at a local college is that the tuition fees are generally lower, so you will end up with less debt at the end.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending