The Student Room Group

Birmingham vs Bristol

I'm currently taking my gap year and hope to start university this coming September. I have unconditional offers and have decided that I want to study at either birmingham or bristol.
I've done my research and Birmingham appears to be the better university. However, the city of Bristol is simply breathtaking and the university still has a great reputation.
So, I was hoping a few of you could help answer a few questions I have.....
1) why is the student satisfaction at Bristol so low?
2) Birmingham seems to trump Bristol in most league tables, and yet it's reputation doesn't seem to fair as well...any ideas why?
3) graduate prospects appear to be much better at Brum, why is this?
4) most forums suggest that Bristol has the better city whilst Birmingham trumps with regards to teaching and so on. What do you like about the university of Bristol? And what's great about the city of Birmingham?
5) I'm studying politics and social policy......politics is apparently great at brum, but social policy is supposed to be good at Bristol. Anyone studying at either?
6) people keep warning me about Bristol....I'm aware it's incredibly middle class but why should someone have to worry about that at university? Opinions please! :smile:
Any other tips, opinions, stats would be wonderful! Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
Hey!

It has to be Bristol. Has a stronger reputation to be honest. Don't get me wrong, Birmingham is fantastic! Life wise, Birmingham has a more "lively" city. Bristol does come under the whole, posh uni section, (alongside Durham, Warwick, Imperial, UCL, LSE and Oxbridge, etc), but unless you go for yourself, that shouldn't be a bother!

I believe you should really go on a trip to either uni, honestly it will give the biggest difference!

Wish you well!
Thank you so much for the reply! I ended up choosing Brum! I visited both and followed my gut!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending