A degree won't make you a billionaire.... what drives you to study?

Watch
She-Ra
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...re--lJmv_fCwCg

I is reporting:

"According to a new study from Approved Index, which looked into the backgrounds of the world’s 100 richest people, the majority of top billionaires have not completed studies at university and more than three times as many studied arts as did maths or science."

Spoiler:
Show
1. None (32)

2. Engineering (22)

3. Business (12)

4. Arts (9)

5. Economics (8)

6. Finance (3)

7. Science (2)

8. Mathematics (2)

9. Law (2)

- Other (8)

Are you studying with a salary in mind? If you are already in uni or already completed your studies did you chose a subject that would boost your earnings?
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The final paragraph seems to suggest that we can use the routes of the world's 100 richest people as gospel in growing wealth, e.g. take English over economics, which is pretty silly. There are obviously a range of far more important factors in the rise of these people than what they studied, if anything, at university.

I want to be a barrister and am going to be applying for linguistics. Some might assume that a law degree would give me better prospects in the legal profession than linguistics, but this is not true for two main reasons. One, it is far easier to get into a top 5 university for lingistuics than for law, and university prestige is infinitely more important at the Bar than what you study beyond a certain base line of respectability. Two, the percentage of linguistics students who receive a 1st on this course is over 47%, whereas the percentage of law students at the uni who receive a 1st is just 17%, and what with a first class degree being essentially required for pupillage at a good City chambers for non-Oxbridge graduates these days, that is a considerable advantage.

So for me, while I am extremely interested in my chosen course, it is itself almost completely irrelevant to my future prospects in the legal profession. Far more important is the university name and the class of my degree - but having a degree is an absolute requirement of entering the profession in the first place.
ChaoticButterfly
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm just fascinated with physics. Simple as that. Plus it put off getting a job for three years.
Schrödingers Cat
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Lmao what a stupid question and article, people don't do degree's to become billionaires. The chances of becoming a billionaire are so slim it's mainly based on luck and if you have a very rich family or you come up with an idea that sells.

A better indicator is looking at salaries in the £100,000-1,000,000 range. I can guarantee the majority earning this salary will have a degree.

We know for a fact having a degree leads to a higher earning potential, plus people like studying what they enjoy!
COYSCOYS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I study because, one day, I want to learn a fascinating subject, alongside intelligent and hard-working people, taught by some of the World's leading academics.
Serine Soul
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
I get motivated by thinking of how I can do something worthwhile for society after all the studying. I'm not too fussed about money really
username1862217
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah, putting off the job was one reason (and I didn't want to work in checkouts). Two was that I do enjoy physics. Three is that I wanted more money - sure it won't make me a billionaire, but it will get me a damn lot more money than no degree. Four is for the prestige because I have a huge ego and love looking down on people. Five is for the university experience - once in a life time and all that jazz.

To the people who didn't go to uni: why didn't you?
Anonynmous
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by She-Ra)
http://i100.independent.co.uk/articl...re--lJmv_fCwCg

I is reporting:

"According to a new study from Approved Index, which looked into the backgrounds of the world’s 100 richest people, the majority of top billionaires have not completed studies at university and more than three times as many studied arts as did maths or science."

Spoiler:
Show
1. None (32)

2. Engineering (22)

3. Business (12)

4. Arts (9)

5. Economics (8)

6. Finance (3)

7. Science (2)

8. Mathematics (2)

9. Law (2)

- Other (8)

Are you studying with a salary in mind? If you are already in uni or already completed your studies did you chose a subject that would boost your earnings?
Degree doesn't matter. Hard work, connections, funding and ingenious ideas get you to billionaire status.

A good degree gives you the necessary tools.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The future of my father's business.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (327)
34.6%
No (618)
65.4%

Watched Threads