The Student Room Group

Coerced into Nursing?

I know the title sounds dramatic, but it is truly the way I feel at the moment.
I do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Technology at A-level and am predicted CCC Distinction.
I have applied to do Children's Nursing at University. Four universities rejected my application whilst one, University of Bedfordshire, sent me an offer.
Obviously I am chuffed that I got at least one offer.
But I can't help feeling like I was pushed into doing Children's Nursing by our UCAS 'advisor' just to tick another box on the School's records.
I originally wanted to do Medicine, but quickly realised this was far too ambitious, given my grades at AS (CCCDist*).
I thought about Midwifery and this seemed to be a course well suited to me, but my advisor thought otherwise. I was told that only Post Graduates get places on these courses, and that Nursing was much more suited to me.
Obviously as my Sixth Form had hired this advisor to deal with UCAS applications I didn't question her opinions.
So I chose five universities and applied for Childrens Nursing.
Six Months, two interviews and four rejections later, I am doubting whether I made the right choice.
I have since found BioMedical Science, which looks like a genuinely interesting subject, not just another route into medicine.
I am thinking about applying through Extra, however I have still got the offer from University of Bedfordshire.
Taking a year out and applying next year seems like a good way to solve this but at the same time I don't want to completely give up on my offer.
I am NOT going through clearing, it sounds terrifying.
I'm not sure what to do at this stage, has anyone got any advice?
I've obviously still got a lot of time to make my decision, but I'm struggling to think of what to do :frown:
HELP!?
Hi Chloe,

I'm ever so sorry to hear about your predicament :frown:

Children's nursing is a wonderful career, but it the reality is it is a tough course, and therefore requires a lot of dedication. If you're doubting whether the course is actually for you and you feel like you've been coerced into doing it, then you're likely to struggle for motivation, not enjoy it as much as you expect and maybe even drop out.

I know giving up your offer doesn't seem preferable, however I think for you this is the best option. There is a lot of sense in waiting another year to clarify in your own mind what you want to do, rather than wasting time, money and effort on something you're doubting. If you do wait another year, then once you have decided what you want to do, you can also use the time to gain experience in the industry and/or do additional courses to boost your academic profile.

Hope this is useful, feel free to DM me if you would like anymore advice.

Best Wishes
Joel
3rd Year Children's Nursing student

Quick Reply

Latest