The Student Room Group

Torn between RHUL and UniofSurrey

I've had a hard time coming towards my final decision and I'm running out of time. My top two choices are Surrey and Royal Holloway and they both seem quite evenly matched in terms of departments where some are give and take on certain factors.

So far I've compiled a list that looks something like this:

Royal Holloway:
- Campus university in a quiet area
- Excellent Psychology department and facilities
- Part of the University of London and so more reputable and has high-class teaching
- World-recognised research and many professors seem to be an expert in their field.
- Slightly lower than Surrey on the league tables (Guardian) but higher on (Complete University Guide)
- Egham is a boring area and so a lot of money would be spent on bus/trains/cabs to get to better areas.
University of Surrey:
- Campus university in a quiet area
- Has an extremely high employability rate as well as more opportunities for placement studies abroad or in industry.
- Will take an extra year if I choose to do placement
- Guildford is an area I’m familiar with and has more to it in terms of shops, so less concern about travelling
- Has a far better library and sporting facilities
- Doesn’t have an MRI scanner so I'd have to travel to RHUL to use it.
- Closer to home so cheaper in terms of accommodation if I can’t afford it

But I'm still not sure. Money and location are extremely high factors for me to be quite honest. While Royal Holloway most likely has the better department I have to keep in mind that Egham is rather isolated and the area is expensive and I might not always have enough money for travel whereas Surrey doesn't really have such an issue.
Undergrads don't really get to use MRI machines.

Quick Reply

Latest