The Student Room Group

Rare Condition - Really Struggling

Hi,

I have a rare condition called galactosemia. This affects my brain and brings about learning difficulties. I got told I wouldn't make it into high school,mum at university and I've hit my limit. It's not anyone's fault, but there's nothing I can do when I cannot cope with university because of the condition.

Because it's rare, people at uni haven't heard about it, but it's really genuinely hitting me now and I can't do the work. I just don't get anything is being taught I'm so behind everyone else. I have been studying Java over a yearvatbuninand I don't understand a word of it.

The condition affects the logic and maths part of my brain, nothing else. Is tidy computing and can't understand code. In the first year our programming coursework was teamwork. I did nothing and got 70% despite going up to my lecturer saying I've done none of it please could I be marked for what I do.

So now I am really struggling. I've failed a lot of modules this year, no chance on passing at all, it really is so difficult. It makes me so stressed and sad. I last semester I almost broke down, I was so stressed, so upset that the theory wasn't going in at all. The teacher telling us how computer graphics work everyone else doing the programming and me just sat there not understanding.

I have told them all about this, they don't understand that I just can't do it, they think I'm over acting when I say that, but the fact is, I just can't. The part of the brain that deals with that doesn't work well at all, definitely not at university level.

I know I will get people thinking, "why did you take computing?" Well, it was because I took a gap year because I didn't know what I wanted to do. I didn't know what to do when it was coming to the end of that year so I went to university to study computing because I love computers.

Last year at uni was teh entry year sort of. It didn't count and it was very entry level. I'm not academic and this year has proved my limits. I will fail this year and I don't know what to do.
My first thought is - have you applied for disabled students allowance? Are you in touch with your uni's disability team?

I don't know what specifically could be done, but the disability advisers would hopefully know. During my undergrad I had a bad patch health wise and they were very helpful at my uni. On the DSA front - if you have not applied already, it could be helpful. It is there to provide support to students with disabilities. Support can include equipment, software, mentors, note takers etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah go to DSA I have been thinking about what you might want to do have you considered computer game design it's an artistic course so you wouldn't have too much math or logic it's just an idea

Posted from TSR Mobile
The point of dsa and the services they provide is to help overcome difficulties caused by disabilities that affect your uni work but if you simply cannot do the work then there isn't much they can do, dyslexics may have trouble reading and writing so they can provide them with laptops that have text-speech software, certain medical conditions can cause people discomfort if they sit down for too long so they can be given supervised breaks during exams to stretch and walk around, some times they can allocate you a tutor to help you with non-subject difficulties that arise from your condition, so a tutor to help you get organised, learn how to study correctly, go over spelling techniques or prompt you when you get distracted during lectures but they cannot pay for a personal tutor to teach you materials covered on the course.

Its worth your while applying to DSA and seeing what help you can get but if the issue is simply you are incapable of doing the work, there isn't much they can do i'm afraid. Maybe talk your difficulties over with your doctor and see what help he thinks would help you do better in uni, he may think of something that DSA wouldn't think to recommend
I'm wondering weather a Dictaphone or video camera would help so you can play back bits you don't get over and over and over until you get it might that help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending