What to expect from needs assessment

Watch
Thomas9090
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I have my needs assessment on Wednesday and i'm a little nervous as what to expect. I know they want to see where i have difficulties etc, but i'm struggling to see how this can last 90/120 minutes. What kind of things are they going to be asking? What's the format like?

I'm also a little concerned that a lot of my difficulties will not be listened to because they dont directly correlate with my diagnosed disabilities. I get DSA for MH/Aspergers/medical condition, but i have a lot of problems that sound like dyslexia (poor short term memory/ability to put things on paper etc). Will these problems still be noted? Or because they don't sound like autism, ignored.

Any help would be appreciated
JaneKent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You will be fine. They aren't trying to catch you out. Mine was very relaxed, she just wanted to understand what I struggled with and made suggestions as to software and other support that might help. Part of the assessment time is spent showing you software. They then write up a report for student finance who agree or query the recommendations to put your DSA in place.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's more of an informal chat than anything else. They've seen students in your situation before. I've had 2 assessments done before. I was shown software and a dictaphone / voice recorder. It was discussed how best my needs are met. (extra time in exams, modified exam papers, software, a note taker, etc)

If you're currently a student, they will ask what help you get now - ie, extra time in exams, a note taker, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (176)
14.56%
I'm not sure (56)
4.63%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (354)
29.28%
I have already dropped out (35)
2.89%
I'm not a current university student (588)
48.64%

Watched Threads