The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Cambridge PhD or prestigious job?

Hi everyone,

I'm in a bit of a (kind of lucky) dilemma here. I have a choice between a highly paid (£50k), great looking graduate job or a PhD in a field of study I would love at Cambridge.

I have no idea where to start in making this decision. I appreciate how fortunate I am to be in this position, it's just tearing me apart.

Appreciate the help.
Reply 1
I would like to state that you should consider the PhD if only you are interested in academia, if not pick up the job
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
I would like to know where you've found a 50 grand job coming straight out of your under grad. I'll second the above, although the PhD is a once in a lifetime thing, you could always get a similar job later.
Reply 3
Original post by Bainyyyy
I would like to know where you've found a 50 grand job coming straight out of your under grad. I'll second the above, although the PhD is a once in a lifetime thing, you could always get a similar job later.

This. It's reeeaaaalllllly difficult giving up a well paid job to live the life of an impoverished student for a few years again. I tend to think that if OP can get a good job offer now, s/he can get one after PhD too.
Question to OP: which one do you think you would most regret not doing in 10 years' time?
Do the PhD.

Side questions for OP: What on earth did you study?! What on earth is the job role?! And how old are you?!
50k per year must be one heck of a job for a student straight out of undergrad. However if you're being offered that now, imagine the possibilities after PhD.

50k per year the starting salary or final / stable salary for the job?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending