Automatic First Car?

Watch
lukas09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys I recently passed my driving test automatic and was looking at getting my first car but I have no idea where to start as there doesn't seem to be many automatics about I have a budget of around 7 grand and so far have been looking at the Vauxhall corsa, Hyundai i10 or Nissan micra So what relatively small automatic cars do you think I should be looking at? I don't know much about cars so any input is appreciated Cheers
The Jargen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Toyota Yaris
kaarlis112
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Those are the three worst cars for automatics...
Get like Toyota Yaris or Toyota Auris.
The_Internet
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Would echo the Yaris UNLESS you're in Yorkshire, or travel up to Yorkshire. Damn hills..

Perhaps if you get one that's got at least a 1.3L engine, then yah
Was gonna ask why specifically automatic, but you said you passed in an automatic
lukas09
Rep:
?
Thank you for the replies Yeah I couldn't get use to manual so opted for automatic I will have a look at the yaris some people recommended ford fiesta but from what ive read on reviews there automatic gearboxes aren't very good any more suggestions?
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lukas09)
Thank you for the replies Yeah I couldn't get use to manual so opted for automatic I will have a look at the yaris some people recommended ford fiesta but from what ive read on reviews there automatic gearboxes aren't very good any more suggestions?
I guess on the plus side, a lot of newer cars are now automatics (For you that is) Generally I reckon you'll be OK with a Japanese car

But again take in to consideration location. The Toyota Yaris is an AWESOME car. Would I like to have one at uni? Maybe (Well I've upgraded to a better car, but...money)

Would I buy a 1.0L Yaris in Yorkshire? Hell no. I had one in Yorkshire. Wasn't very good with Yorkshire hills. Every where else in the country, you'll probably be fine with a nippy little city car
tumshie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I have an automatic Hyundai i30 auto, and its quite nice to drive, I have driven an auto Toyota Yaris and Auris as hire cars, the Auris is nicer, smoother and more roomy, its quite a similar ride to my i30
Lemon Haze
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Stop, think, and go get your real driving licence...
The_Internet
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tumshie)
I have an automatic Hyundai i30 auto, and its quite nice to drive, I have driven an auto Toyota Yaris and Auris as hire cars, the Auris is nicer, smoother and more roomy, its quite a similar ride to my i30
Would imagine so. OP if you've got a bit more cash and you're feeling up for it have a look at the Honda Civic hybrids. After 2005 they've all became automatic. I got the last manual ones

Its a decent car!

Also the Toyota Prius as well is great! Civic hybrid is bigger than the Prius tho!
lukas09
Rep:
?
Thanks again for the recommendations the Hyundai i30 is a bit bigger than what I am looking for although I really like the i10 but I am looking into test driving a yaris now.
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Lemon Haze)
Stop, think, and go get your real driving licence...
Ahh, the same old 'autos are rubbish' drivel. Appears almost every time. Only on TSR.
Alfissti
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by lukas09)
Small automatic cars are aplenty in the market these days. Some certainly are better than others.

The Ford uses a PowerShift gearbox in a Fiesta, recent and current model ones that is. Latest ones are pretty good as they have ironed out all the bugs and for the most part are as good as any other. It isn't as smooth as those in a Fiat or VW group car but it is by no means bad for a dual-clutch system.

Instead of the Hyundai i10 I personally would buy a Mitsubishi Mirage (12-on model) especially if 7k is your budget.

We ran in the company fleet a couple of small automatics up until recently when they were replaced with Nissan Leafs. If performance is your game, the one to look out for is the VW Polo or Skoda Fabia, probably be expensive to insure for a young driver as it doesn't come with a low output engine.

If you are after fuel economy and trouble-free driving, the one to get is either the Toyota Yaris Hybrid or the Honda Jazz Hybrid, we ran 2 Yaris and it certainly does deliver very good fuel consumption but the downside to it is it isn't the most powerful or refined car. The standard Yaris automatic gearbox isn't the best out there, it isn't your usual torque converter or CVT gearbox instead it is an automated manual transmission meaning the gears are changed by a series of motors and servos, kind of expensive to replace and maintain if something goes wrong and not the most refined either. Not sure if either of these would be within your budget in UK or not but am guessing early model ones should be coming on the market now at around those prices.

Personally, I would look for a Suzuki Swift, it isn't expensive to buy, run or maintain. The automatic variant is a fairly robust one and for the most part it is a fuss free car. Definitely worth a look.
Lemon Haze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
Ahh, the same old 'autos are rubbish' drivel. Appears almost every time. Only on TSR.
Auto's are not rubbish, I would own one in the future. However, cheap autos are rubbish and no where near up to standard...
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Auto's are not rubbish, I would own one in the future. However, cheap autos are rubbish and no where near up to standard...
Define 'cheap auto'.
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Another vote for the Suzuki Switft. Very decent car.
Lemon Haze
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
Define 'cheap auto'.
Listen man I could go and research and **** but I cba.

Autos are getting better and better every year, but for most cars I think its better getting a manual if you can...
Sgt.Incontro
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Listen man I could go and research and **** but I cba.

Autos are getting better and better every year, but for most cars I think its better getting a manual if you can...
Haha, you clearly have no clue do you.
winson
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am driving a automatic honda jazz which is easy to drive as the steeling wheel is so light and it is spacious. Also, it has got the shift gear paddle on the steeling wheel which allows you to drive like a manual car to get some fun. I will always recommend Japanese car as they are reliable and easy to fix.
lukas09
Rep:
?
Thanx again for the replies this has really helped me out a lot! I a going to test drive a Honda Jazz the weekend taking my brother with me who knows a lot more about cars than I do. I did look at the Suzuki swift but in my price range couldn't find many with a automatic gearbox. Again thank you for the recommendations
JC.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Tiny engine + autobox = misery.

Look at vehicles with bigger engines otherwise you might as well buy a stout pair of boots.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (166)
14.6%
I'm not sure (52)
4.57%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (335)
29.46%
I have already dropped out (34)
2.99%
I'm not a current university student (550)
48.37%

Watched Threads