Bainyyyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi guys,

I'm going to apply for a masters starting in September at either LSE or UCL.

I've narrowed the list of courses down to those listed below

Empires, Colonalism, and Globalisation (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/...alisation.aspx)

Global Politics (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/...lPolitics.aspx)

Political Economy of Europe (http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/...yOfEurope.aspx)

Global Governance and Ethics
(http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-stu...nce-ethics-msc)

I'm just a little concerned about the value of such courses. For example, all the LSE ones vary in price. I fear that the price is a reflection on the quality of the course. The Empires one is the one I'm most interested in but the page has little detail on it, and is only 12 grand compared to 18 for PEE and 19 grand for Global Politics. The Global Governance and Ethics course at UCL is only 9 grand.

My question is, is the employability prospects gained from the course reflected in its price? The PEE page states that graduates are headhunted (I want to go into policy-making circles/NGO/political work) whereas none of the others state anything similar.

What I mean is, if a potential employer is looking at my CV and sees "Empires, Colonalism and Globalisation Msc" will they think its a bit of a joke even though its from LSE when compared to say having "Theory of International Relations Msc" from LSE on my CV?

Thanks for your time folks.
polscistudent88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Saying what an employer might or might not think is always hard, and it always depends on for which job, position, and so on... My gut feeling is that probably a MSc in Political Economy of Europe might seem more interesting than one on Empires and Colonialism... But again, it depends on your career goals. If it were me narrowing down your list, I would keep only PEE or GB at LSE. But obviously this somehow also reflects my personal interests. UCL also offers many master's in public policy (also international)... which might interest you!
Bainyyyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Thanks for the reply. I saw the ones at UCL and they're also on my list. So do you think that the price of the course reflects its value at all? My career goals are essentially research-based/political. What about Masters in IR Theory? Unfortunately the Global Politics course is full which is disappointing which would've been my first choice. Do you think that it doesn't really matter either way what I choose, or not?
polscistudent88
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The price is not a reflection of the quality, but more of the popularity/general target. Certain master's, especially in London and at LSE, tend to attract people that comes from very wealthy background. If they are also very popular they can more easily ask more money for them. Then it also depends on the resources that a master's require: if you need much research training, computer labs, support groups, and so on this will make the price go up. But if a master's costs a bit less it does not necessarily mean that the quality is low.

Then, IR theory is very very academic, so if research means that you want to do a PhD in IR, it's perfect. To become an analyst something more specific and applied might be more of an asset (but again it depends... A certain master's in theory might have many alumni and a great network to provide access to different positions in the private sector). So it really depends on what kind of prospects you want. Take also into account that LSE has a Gov't, IR, and a European Studies depts. So it might be worth to understand in which department the majority of the modules are offered, and if you like the faculty, research, connections of that dept. At UCL, if I am not wrong, everything is under the school of Public Policy, which is growing and recently obtained very good assessments for its research.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (75)
15.18%
Uncertainty around my education (82)
16.6%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (45)
9.11%
Isolating with family (32)
6.48%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (21)
4.25%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (40)
8.1%
Loneliness (48)
9.72%
Financial worries (18)
3.64%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (49)
9.92%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
6.88%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (50)
10.12%

Watched Threads