The Student Room Group

I'm 17 and my boobs keep growing... :S

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Anonymous
I am trying to lower my fruit intake as it makes me bloated but I like berries. I might try eating more eggs, haven't had them for ages though lol.

I agree with you! I will never take the pill, I'm actually against it. I don't think its good for the body in anyway and there are too many side effects. I'm still a virgin though.

Eggs are best when the yolk is as uncooked as possible. If you fry it, do it lightly until the white is cooked but the yellow is mostly uncooked. If you boil it, only half boil it.

Cool. Don't lose it until marriage, you won't regret waiting. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I think its hormones- maybe I have more estrogen than before since my diet is balanced and I'm eating more fats and proteins. And no I don't take the pill

Eggs have a lot of protein, so that's a good choice for breakfast if you're able to.
Also just to add to the discussion about zinc. You can get zinc from whole-grain breads, lentils, soy and vegetables.
Original post by Maradiah
Girl you're cursed.:rolleyes:

I would love for my boobs to keep growing, mine stopped growing at 13.:cry2:

Lol THIS! Mine stopped growing at 13, and now I'm only a B cup. Embrace the boobies. I wish I was boobielicious. :frown:
Original post by 41b
Eggs are best when the yolk is as uncooked as possible. If you fry it, do it lightly until the white is cooked but the yellow is mostly uncooked. If you boil it, only half boil it.

Cool. Don't lose it until marriage, you won't regret waiting. :smile:

Worst advice ever.
Reply 44
Original post by TurboCretin
Worst advice ever.

Nah, it's actually scientifically based. Women who wait until marriage are much more likely to have successful, happy marriages than those who don't. This is the case for both hormonal and emotional reasons (and the two are interlinked)

Being loose is easy and pleasurable in the short term, but only in the short term.

:smile:
Reply 45
Original post by Emaemmaemily
Eggs have a lot of protein, so that's a good choice for breakfast if you're able to.
Also just to add to the discussion about zinc. You can get zinc from whole-grain breads, lentils, soy and vegetables.

Eggs don't have much protein. They are between chicken and lamb and vegetables for protein content. Eggs are essential for sulphur, however, which is why you don't want to cook the yolk (doing so destroys or renders unabsorbable most of the sulphur in the yolk).

Don't listen to this veggie. The amount of zinc you get from those is next to nothing. Vegetables have almost no zinc. Animals eat tonnes of vegetables to give us the amount of zinc we get from eating meat. Bread, wholegrain or not, is almost entirely devoid of nutrients and is mostly pure carbs. Regardless, wholegrain bread is not especially healthy. White ciabatta is the healthiest.

Vegeterianism = mental and physical health failure. If you want to get a small amount of zinc eat meat, but even that in today's context is far too little. For best results, take a zinc supplement with manganese and vit c.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 41b
Nah, it's actually scientifically based. Women who wait until marriage are much more likely to have successful, happy marriages than those who don't. This is the case for both hormonal and emotional reasons (and the two are interlinked)

Being loose is easy and pleasurable in the short term, but only in the short term.

:smile:

Please provide science?
Reply 47
Please provide science?

Use google scholar :mad: :smug:

*goes to do dissertation :colone:*
Reply 48
Please provide science?

I found it.

http://socialpathology.blogspot.co.uk/2010/09/statistical-adjustments-to-promiscuity.html

Bookmark it, spread it wide (but not your seed, apparently).
Original post by 41b
Eggs don't have much protein. They are between chicken and lamb and vegetables for protein content. Eggs are essential for sulphur, however, which is why you don't want to cook the yolk (doing so destroys or renders unabsorbable most of the sulphur in the yolk).

Don't listen to this veggie. The amount of zinc you get from those is next to nothing. Vegetables have almost no zinc. Animals eat tonnes of vegetables to give us the amount of zinc we get from eating meat. Bread, wholegrain or not, is almost entirely devoid of nutrients and is mostly pure carbs. Regardless, wholegrain bread is not especially healthy. White ciabatta is the healthiest.

Vegeterianism = mental and physical health failure. If you want to get a small amount of zinc eat meat, but even that in today's context is far too little. For best results, take a zinc supplement with manganese and vit c.

You were just telling her to eat eggs, so suddenly this is bad advice because I agree?
Eggs have around 13g of protein per egg, which is large in proportion to how much you should eat daily (around 46g for a woman). A couple of eggs in the morning will give you over half of your daily need of protein.
One serving of tofu is 10g of protein generally, which again is a decent portion within one meal in a day.
Tofu also provides about 2mg of iron, where the average woman needs about 8.7mg a day. So this one portion of tofu is good for both protein, iron, and gives you about 1mg of the 8mg of zinc that you need in a day.

Zinc in whole-grain bread is a good source, as long as you use other sources too. You can get around 2mg of zinc from one serving of whole grain bread, and the average woman needs about 8mg a day.
You can also get 1-2mg of zinc from different soy products like soybeans, soyflour, etc (per serving).

Seeing as you think getting zinc from food (even on a diet containing meat) isn't sufficient, and you suggest taking supplements, if doesn't matter if you are on a veggie diet or not. You can take supplements for zinc regardless.

So, I've given quite a bit of info here showing that actually you are wrong, there is plenty of protein in eggs, and you can get zinc from plenty of sources other than meat (although you made that irrelevant by suggesting supplements).
I have no mental or physical disorders. In fact, I'm much healthier since becoming vegetarian, and making sure that my diet is well balanced.

This link doesn't demonstrate what you say it does, which was:

Original post by 41b
Women who wait until marriage are much more likely to have successful, happy marriages than those who don't. This is the case for both hormonal and emotional reasons (and the two are interlinked)

All that it seems to show is that women who have never had sex outside marriage are much less likely to divorce (or at least they were 20 years ago, which incidentally is another concern I have about this study).

The fact that women have a greater tendency to stay with the one man they've ever slept with is not indicative of them being in happy marriages (or successful ones, unless you count simply staying together as successful perhaps). Indeed, they might stay in marriages which are otherwise horrible simply because they lost their virginity to their husbands. It is cliche that girls' first sexual relationships often extend far beyond their sell-by date.
Reply 51
This link doesn't demonstrate what you say it does, which was:

All that it seems to show is that women who have never had sex outside marriage are much less likely to divorce (or at least they were 20 years ago, which incidentally is another concern I have about this study).

The fact that women have a greater tendency to stay with the one man they've ever slept with is not indicative of them being in happy marriages (or successful ones, unless you count simply staying together as successful perhaps). Indeed, they might stay in marriages which are otherwise horrible simply because they lost their virginity to their husbands. It is cliche that girls' first sexual relationships often extend far beyond their sell-by date.

You've kind of swallowed the feminist logic there. Women who don't want to stay married don't stay married. There are millions of incentives to get divorce but only one to stay together: happiness.

Also, semen attaches a woman to the man whose semen she absorbs. The more partners she has, the more hormonally confused she becomes.

https://jenapincott.wordpress.com/2009/01/08/semen-has-mind-control-properties/

Call me old fashioned, but I don't buy into the bull**** view that people have false consciousness. People do what they think is best for them and if a woman is with a man for a long period of time, it's because she wants to be. The reason women don't want to leave the man they first slept with is because they have no hormonal confusion from being pulled in different directions by different men's sperm caused mental and hormonal effects. Happiness, being chemical, is created partly by the man's sperm and women feel happy because they have found that "one special someone" the biology of the situation imposes on them. And it's also created partly by the loyalty and affection people develop anyway having spent years or decades together. When the marriage is unhappy, it is not "I want to leave" unhappy, but "leaving would cause me more pain than staying" happy. Which is still happiness maximising. U(Being single, old and alone with cats) < U(Being angry with my husband who I've spent most of my life with). Also sperm is literally an antidepressant: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2190863/Semen-good-womens-health-helps-fight-depression.html

And also, before you say that people can try again if they leave their first relationship, sure. Then the chance of success (and yes, being together a long time, and creating a life together, is the definition of a successful marriage) drops to 50%. And after that even more.

Waiting until marriage, finding a truly suitable partner and fully committing to them is the best way a girl can approach the situation. Promiscuity is the opposite of a successful approach. If she still has her virginity, she should save it and try her maximise her chances of happiness, not throw it away for short term pleasure and because the feminists told her to.

Science has pretty much proven all of traditional society's "prejudices" and preconceptions. This is not surprising. Those societies formed over hundreds of thousands of years and traditional knowledge is based on generations of observation of human behaviour, whereas fad political movements are based on decades of ideological fervour - which by its nature has not been disproven and debunked, yet. Well, it has been disproven and debunked, but the opposite is so commonly believed that it won't go away until there's a huge social shift.

Don't buy into the feminist nonsense just because all your lawyer friends do.

As for the OP, this is all good evidence about why you should wait. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 52
You were just telling her to eat eggs, so suddenly this is bad advice because I agree?
Eggs have around 13g of protein per egg, which is large in proportion to how much you should eat daily (around 46g for a woman). A couple of eggs in the morning will give you over half of your daily need of protein.
One serving of tofu is 10g of protein generally, which again is a decent portion within one meal in a day.
Tofu also provides about 2mg of iron, where the average woman needs about 8.7mg a day. So this one portion of tofu is good for both protein, iron, and gives you about 1mg of the 8mg of zinc that you need in a day.

Zinc in whole-grain bread is a good source, as long as you use other sources too. You can get around 2mg of zinc from one serving of whole grain bread, and the average woman needs about 8mg a day.
You can also get 1-2mg of zinc from different soy products like soybeans, soyflour, etc (per serving).

Seeing as you think getting zinc from food (even on a diet containing meat) isn't sufficient, and you suggest taking supplements, if doesn't matter if you are on a veggie diet or not. You can take supplements for zinc regardless.

So, I've given quite a bit of info here showing that actually you are wrong, there is plenty of protein in eggs, and you can get zinc from plenty of sources other than meat (although you made that irrelevant by suggesting supplements).
I have no mental or physical disorders. In fact, I'm much healthier since becoming vegetarian, and making sure that my diet is well balanced.

Generally NHS guidelines are insufficient and are the "basic conservative estimate" to avoid starvation and wasting disease.

46g of protein a day will stop her muscles disappearing to nothing but to be healthy she needs to eat about 200g of protein spread over the day in 3 meals.

I eat 3-400g of protein every day over 3 meals.

You've a lot to learn. Look past the basic guidelines because they are not based on optimals but on minimals. They guarantee survival, not health. Ask famous female tennis players or athletes or wealthy people how much they eat and the answer you get will not be the pittance the NHS suggests. Generally multiply everything the NHS says be 3x and that's a more accurate amount.

Eat more, and eat healthy.

Vegetarianism is better than a full meat diet. That old cliche goes, vegetarianism isn't healthier, but it's vegetarians who are more healthy. Meat is absolutely essential and you cannot get everything from supplements. Zinc is fairly easy to supplement, but supplements themselves are very inferior to eating the real thing. If you can find meat which has been fed grass that doesn't have a degraded nutritional content, that is far superior to having supplements. The problem is that most, or almost all, meat does not live up to this standard for a person on a normal budget. Food contains 1/2 to 1/10th of the minerals it did in the 1930s, and the 1930s was about 50 years after industrial fertilisers began to be adopted, so the 1930s was not an especially high benchmark.

So to be healthy you need to eat meat for what it gives you, vegetables for what it gives you, fat (about 10-20%) for what it gives you but also supplement.
Original post by 41b
You've kind of swallowed the feminist logic there. Women who don't want to stay married don't stay married.

Just like girls who don't want to stay in crappy relationships don't stay in crappy relationships, right? Especially not with their first sexual partner, right? And it's not like being married would make a relationship harder to end or anything, right?

Original post by 41b
There are millions of incentives to get divorce but only one to stay together: happiness.

You are joking, aren't you? I don't have the think hard to come up with a few other reasons. Children? Fear of the unknown? Finances? Cultural reasons (particularly familial pressure in religious communities, which probably accounts for a large chunk of the people who didn't have sex before marriage in the study you referenced)?

Original post by 41b
Also, semen attaches a woman to the man whose semen she absorbs. The more partners she has, the more hormonally confused she becomes.

https://jenapincott.wordpress.com/2009/01/08/semen-has-mind-control-properties/

Holy pseudoscience, Batman. Aside from the fact that (again) the link (to a blog, but never mind) doesn't support the idea that women get 'hormonally confused' by multiple partners (and neither do the studies it cites), women in casual sexual relationships are likely to insist on condoms (and the more casual sexual partners women have, the more careful they are to use condoms) meaning that facts about semen are fairly redundant.

You can't just reinterpret third-party comments on scientific papers and claim 'science'.

Original post by 41b

Call me old fashioned, but I don't buy into the bull**** view that people have false consciousness. People do what they think is best for them and if a woman is with a man for a long period of time, it's because she wants to be. The reason women don't want to leave the man they first slept with is because they have no hormonal confusion from being pulled in different directions by different men's sperm caused mental and hormonal effects.

Again, pseudoscientific *******s.

Original post by 41b
Happiness, being chemical, is created partly by the man's sperm and women feel happy because they have found that "one special someone" the biology of the situation imposes on them. And it's also created partly by the loyalty and affection people develop anyway having spent years or decades together. When the marriage is unhappy, it is not "I want to leave" unhappy, but "leaving would cause me more pain than staying" happy. Which is still happiness maximising. U(Being single, old and alone with cats) < U(Being angry with my husband who I've spent most of my life with). Also sperm is literally an antidepressant: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2190863/Semen-good-womens-health-helps-fight-depression.html

Sure semen has been shown to improve women's mood, but otherwise *******s (and irrelevant to the same extent as explained above, for the same reasons).

Original post by 41b
Science has pretty much proven all of traditional society's "prejudices" and preconceptions. This is not surprising. Those societies formed over hundreds of thousands of years and traditional knowledge is based on generations of observation of human behaviour, whereas fad political movements are based on decades of ideological fervour - which by its nature has not been disproven and debunked, yet. Well, it has been disproven and debunked, but the opposite is so commonly believed that it won't go away until there's a huge social shift.

Don't buy into the feminist nonsense just because all your lawyer friends do.

If you know me well enough to know my career, you should know me well enough to understand that I do not identify as a feminist. I'm simply anti-*******s, and you're spouting a lot of *******s here.
Original post by 41b
Generally NHS guidelines are insufficient and are the "basic conservative estimate" to avoid starvation and wasting disease.

46g of protein a day will stop her muscles disappearing to nothing but to be healthy she needs to eat about 200g of protein spread over the day in 3 meals.

I eat 3-400g of protein every day over 3 meals.

You've a lot to learn. Look past the basic guidelines because they are not based on optimals but on minimals. They guarantee survival, not health. Ask famous female tennis players or athletes or wealthy people how much they eat and the answer you get will not be the pittance the NHS suggests. Generally multiply everything the NHS says be 3x and that's a more accurate amount.

Eat more, and eat healthy.

Vegetarianism is better than a full meat diet. That old cliche goes, vegetarianism isn't healthier, but it's vegetarians who are more healthy. Meat is absolutely essential and you cannot get everything from supplements. Zinc is fairly easy to supplement, but supplements themselves are very inferior to eating the real thing. If you can find meat which has been fed grass that doesn't have a degraded nutritional content, that is far superior to having supplements. The problem is that most, or almost all, meat does not live up to this standard for a person on a normal budget. Food contains 1/2 to 1/10th of the minerals it did in the 1930s, and the 1930s was about 50 years after industrial fertilisers began to be adopted, so the 1930s was not an especially high benchmark.

So to be healthy you need to eat meat for what it gives you, vegetables for what it gives you, fat (about 10-20%) for what it gives you but also supplement.

That is absolute rubbish. The figures I provided were not minimals at all, but it's clear that you are going to make things up to try to prove your point.
Even when you look into Men's bodybuilding guidelines, they are told to have 1g or protein for every 1lb of bodyweight (so you would only eat 200g protein as you have stated if you weighed 200lb). Men's bodybuilding is no where near what a healthy and active woman needs to stay healthy and strong. 200g is WAY over what a woman should be eating.
A woman bodybuilder will weight 140 max, although usually a lot less when they are healthy and fit. For a normal person who is just fairly fit and healthy, they will weight less than this and need to eat far less protein than that.

To be honest, I've typed this much and then wondered why I've bothered. You've made it clear that you're willing to completely make things up to prove your point, and are ridiculously biased against something you know nothing about. I am very healthy, far healthier than before I was veggie.
I don't claim that everyone should be on a veggie diet. I even said originally that I'm glad the OP is feeling more healthy. Everyone's body is different. I only wanted to point out that you are wrong that veggie diets are bad for you and give you mental and physical health problems... They do not if you eat a balanced diet.

Let's not de-rail this thread even further with your arguments. If you want to provide proof of you claims (actual peer reviewed studies that state that vegetarian diets give you mental health problems), please do start a thread providing them or PM me. I'd love to see the science behind your claims.
Reply 55
Just like girls who don't want to stay in crappy relationships don't stay in crappy relationships, right? Especially not with their first sexual partner, right? And it's not like being married would make a relationship harder to end or anything, right?

You are joking, aren't you? I don't have the think hard to come up with a few other reasons. Children? Fear of the unknown? Finances? Cultural reasons (particularly familial pressure in religious communities, which probably accounts for a large chunk of the people who didn't have sex before marriage in the study you referenced)?

Yeah. That's still happiness maximising. There is no 1= happy and 0 = unhappy. All of these things are reasons to stay in a marriage. The happiness gained is more than the happiness lost.

Holy pseudoscience, Batman. Aside from the fact that (again) the link (to a blog, but never mind) doesn't support the idea that women get 'hormonally confused' by multiple partners (and neither do the studies it cites), women in casual sexual relationships are likely to insist on condoms (and the more casual sexual partners women have, the more careful they are to use condoms) meaning that facts about semen are fairly redundant.

You can't just reinterpret third-party comments on scientific papers and claim 'science'.

Well look up the study yourself then.

Fine. Don't have several committed relationships without condoms. Promiscuity in the modern context leads to the pill, sex without condoms and exactly the kind of loyalty creating sperm effect discussed. Every girl I've been with has gone on the pill after we checked for STDs. And if it is the case that sperm's effects affect through the mouth and anus too, then she'll be hard pressed to find a pro-promiscuity guy who wants a condom BJ.

Again, pseudoscientific *******s.

It isn't, you're just not connecting the dots. Look up the study yourself.

http://journals.plos.org/plosbiology/article?id=10.1371/journal.pbio.0060178

https://jenapincott.wordpress.com/2009/03/25/a-wizards-brew-the-psychobiology-of-semen/

Here's the book she references:

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_EVg0w7w6gUC&pg=RA10-PA229&lpg=RA10-PA229&dq=gallup+psychobiology+of+semen&source=bl&ots=2J6HgkCxan&sig=ZDzpDizUIMUpnpMhXA9PameOBfM&hl=en&ei=i-DKSaemEprslQfFttTRCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=gallup%20psychobiology%20of%20semen&f=false

ure semen has been shown to improve women's mood, but otherwise *******s (and irrelevant to the same extent as explained above, for the same reasons).

Nah. Read through the studies. Sperm acts as a defense mechanism against others' sperm, creating a loyalty effect. The more sperm a woman intakes, the more conflicting effects there are. The length of it is at least in the short term, and if reconfirmed repeatedly obviously in the long term too.

If you know me well enough to know my career, you should know me well enough to understand that I do not identify as a feminist. I'm simply anti-*******s, and you're spouting a lot of *******s here.

I'd like to think we're TSR friends, so perhaps instead of attacking me for what I suspect you perceive as "quaint pseudoscientific traditionalism", I would like you to look into the stuff I linked with an open mind. I am simply connecting the dots that studies have created, and I feel that you're ignoring the evidence or refusing to accept what it implies. If not, then fair enough. Let's agree to disagree. I think OP should save herself until marriage, and you don't. :smile:

It might be the case that marriage is an awful deal for men, but I think it is an awful deal precisely because modern women are so disloyal and divorce prone. If it is the case that this is caused by promiscuity, as the evidence suggests it is, then I would think that the best chance the girl has of finding happiness is by saving herself and so avoid the problems caused by promiscuity. The silly laws don't matter if your wife loves you enough and is happy with you enough to not divorce you.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 56
That is absolute rubbish. The figures I provided were not minimals at all, but it's clear that you are going to make things up to try to prove your point.
Even when you look into Men's bodybuilding guidelines, they are told to have 1g or protein for every 1lb of bodyweight (so you would only eat 200g protein as you have stated if you weighed 200lb). Men's bodybuilding is no where near what a healthy and active woman needs to stay healthy and strong. 200g is WAY over what a woman should be eating.
A woman bodybuilder will weight 140 max, although usually a lot less when they are healthy and fit. For a normal person who is just fairly fit and healthy, they will weight less than this and need to eat far less protein than that.

To be honest, I've typed this much and then wondered why I've bothered. You've made it clear that you're willing to completely make things up to prove your point, and are ridiculously biased against something you know nothing about. I am very healthy, far healthier than before I was veggie.
I don't claim that everyone should be on a veggie diet. I even said originally that I'm glad the OP is feeling more healthy. Everyone's body is different. I only wanted to point out that you are wrong that veggie diets are bad for you and give you mental and physical health problems... They do not if you eat a balanced diet.

Let's not de-rail this thread even further with your arguments. If you want to provide proof of you claims (actual peer reviewed studies that state that vegetarian diets give you mental health problems), please do start a thread providing them or PM me. I'd love to see the science behind your claims.

Sources galore: http://chriskresser.com/why-you-should-think-twice-about-vegetarian-and-vegan-diets

"Vegetarians are less healthy and have a lower quality of life"

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/vegetarians-are-less-healthy-and-have-a-lower-quality-of-life-than-meateaters-scientists-say-9236340.html

"Vegetarians found to have more cancers, allergies and mental health disorders"

http://www.science20.com/news_articles/vegetarians_found_to_have_more_cancer_allergies_and_mental_health_disorders-133332

Looking into it more will give you far more answers. There's the possibility that vegetarianism is taken by people who have mental health disorders to begin with, but I said right at the start that this is not a good solution because people still need lots of zinc to truly cure many mental health disorders.

And there are lots of other nutrients that you would not get outside of meat, as the chriskesser article shows.

You're wedded to this green ideology. The girl has clearly said vegetarianism is not for her but you're pushing your viewpoint, regardless of her rejection of vegetarianism. Isn't over-stubbornness a sign of poor mental health?

Edit: Here's 3 more:

"You're a vegetarian. Have you lost your mind?"

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201211/youre-vegetarian-have-you-lost-your-mind

"Here we go again: Vegetarian diets and mental health"

http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogspot.co.uk/2014/02/here-we-go-again-vegetarian-diets-and.html

"Vegetarians displayed elevated prevalence rates for depressive disorders, anxiety disorders and somatoform disorders. Due to the matching procedure, the findings cannot be explained by socio-demographic characteristics of vegetarians (e.g. higher rates of females, predominant residency in urban areas, high proportion of singles). The analysis of the respective ages at adoption of a vegetarian diet and onset of a mental disorder showed that the adoption of the vegetarian diet tends to follow the onset of mental disorders.
"

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3466124/
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 41b
Yeah. That's still happiness maximising. There is no 1= happy and 0 = unhappy. All of these things are reasons to stay in a marriage. The happiness gained is more than the happiness lost.

Ah, I didn't realise you were bringing some strange Benthamite concept of happiness to the table. From where I'm standing, necessity, duty and fear are not good bedfellows of happiness.

Original post by 41b
Well look up the study yourself then.

I looked at the studies linked in the blog post you directed me to, and they didn't support your point.

Original post by 41b
Fine. Don't have several committed relationships without condoms. Promiscuity in the modern context leads to the pill, sex without condoms and exactly the kind of loyalty creating sperm effect discussed. Every girl I've been with has gone on the pill after we checked for STDs. And if it is the case that sperm's effects affect through the mouth and anus too, then she'll be hard pressed to find a pro-promiscuity guy who wants a condom BJ.

Granted. But that still fails to demonstrate that women end up 'hormonally confused' by multiple sexual partners.

These sources, once again, do not support what you say. All they say is that hormones in seminal fluid across many species reduce females' desire to mate with other males.

Why doesn't it support what you're saying? Firstly, the fact that women often sleep with upwards of ten or twenty men in their lifetime shows that women's desires are not controlled by these hormones, but are merely perhaps influenced by them. Secondly, the studies do not show a long-lasting impact of these hormones on the brain, meaning that while these hormones may function to dissuade women from being unfaithful while in a relationship, they do not necessarily result in women being forever branded by that relationship.

Original post by 41b
Nah. Read through the studies. Sperm acts as a defense mechanism against others' sperm, creating a loyalty effect. The more sperm a woman intakes, the more conflicting effects there are. The length of it is at least in the short term, and if reconfirmed repeatedly obviously in the long term too.

See above.

Original post by 41b
I'd like to think we're TSR friends, so perhaps instead of attacking me for what I suspect you perceive as "quaint pseudoscientific traditionalism", I would like you to look into the stuff I linked with an open mind. I am simply connecting the dots that studies have created, and I feel that you're ignoring the evidence or refusing to accept what it implies. If not, then fair enough. Let's agree to disagree. I think OP should save herself until marriage, and you don't. :smile:

It might be the case that marriage is an awful deal for men, but I think it is an awful deal precisely because modern women are so disloyal and divorce prone. If it is the case that this is caused by promiscuity, as the evidence suggests it is, then I would think that the best chance the girl has of finding happiness is by saving herself and so avoid the problems caused by promiscuity. The silly laws don't matter if your wife loves you enough and is happy with you enough to not divorce you.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm attacking what you're saying - because I perceive a lot of it to be bull****. Covering your tracks with studies with spurious links to what you have been saying doesn't alleviate that. My mind was open at the outset, hence why I asked for the evidence. You've so far failed to produce it - what you've produced instead is studies which do not support your original point and some vague fudgery to bridge the gap.
Reply 58
Ah, I didn't realise you were bringing some strange Benthamite concept of happiness to the table. From where I'm standing, necessity, duty and fear are not good bedfellows of happiness.

Abandoning your duty, giving up your necessities and so on doesn't make you happier, it makes you a child. Being a child gives fleeting happiness and nothing greater. The breakdown of social pressure on women to conform to their duty and promotion of child-like, pro-promiscuity, zero-responsibility (ie. child like) behaviour is, in my view, the primary reason women's happiness has declined precipitiously over the last decades. http://www.nber.org/papers/w14969

The promotion of leaving relationships at the first sign of unhappiness does not lead to greater happiness. Happiness is earned by struggle, perseverance and loyalty, the exact opposite of the promiscuous attitude. The fact that technology and atomisation is not the cause of this fall in happiness is evidenced by the unchanging male happiness. It is only women who have become unhappier as their traditional social responsibilities have been lifted and they've been given license to act irresponsiby and in a promiscuous manner.

As the heritage study showed, more sexual partners = more failure of marriage. The fact that women sleep with 20 or more men today is a strong indicator of why the marriage rate is so low, and the divorce rate is so high. My view is that it is a combination of biology and emotions. The biological effect might be short term, but the memory of that happiness is relatively long term. If my wife has slept with 20 guys before me and has had happy times with them, then every time we get into a fight she will think of being with them. This greater choice does not benefit the woman, it just deprives her of her sense of duty to struggle and persevere to create a better relationship, because she does truly have other options. When someone is always thinking "I can always go to someone else / I have been with so many guys that I am sure someone else will find me attractive" the marriage inevitably fails. And it does not seem men think like that - ~80% of divorces are initiated by women.

This combination of the biological effect leading to emotional confusion and disloyalty (which, let's say, is a x+y effect) is, in my view, the reason that greater promiscuity leads to collapsing marriages. The fact that this girl has saved herself until now is a good thing and it will be better for her and her happiness if she saves herself until marriage, even if it deprives her of the "choice" of an alternative that itself promotes failure.

Granted. But that still fails to demonstrate that women end up 'hormonally confused' by multiple sexual partners.

Perhaps I didn't clarify as I should have. My apologies.

These sources, once again, do not support what you say. All they say is that hormones in seminal fluid across many species reduce females' desire to mate with other males.

And they also create happiness, improve concentration, increases maternal behaviour, mediates (permits or allows, I think) bonding, may decrease anxiety, reduces PMS and depression, and so on. This one is good too: "Serotonin: increases sperm motility. It also mediates mood, although not much known yet about vaginal absorption. Even if it doesn’t make it to the brain, it may indirectly alter behavior and emotions by contributing the building blocks of serotonin." Melatonin, which improves sleep, Tyrosine, "Tyrosine: a precursor of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, the hormone of reward and addiction, and norepinephrine, involved in attention and arousal."

These are really powerful effects. They make a woman feel really good, if the sperm is healthy enough to provide them in quantity. Surely, you should think, the memory of a good feeling with many, many other men is enough of a distraction during times of pain and suffering in a relationship, sufficient to promote relationship abandonment or marriage collapse/failure? And it is true we tend to remember the good times, rather than the bad times, or even value the good more than the bad. Do you not think this would promote marriage failure?

Why doesn't it support what you're saying? Firstly, the fact that women often sleep with upwards of ten or twenty men in their lifetime shows that women's desires are not controlled by these hormones, but are merely perhaps influenced by them. Secondly, the studies do not show a long-lasting impact of these hormones on the brain, meaning that while these hormones may function to dissuade women from being unfaithful while in a relationship, they do not necessarily result in women being forever branded by that relationship.

I would argue that because of that x+y effect which I described earlier, they precisely do brand women, and it is indeed borne out in the evidence. The more partners a woman has, the less likely her marriage is to be successful. Namely, 1 partner and only 1 = 80%, 2, 50%, and any more around 20%.

I'm not attacking you personally, I'm attacking what you're saying - because I perceive a lot of it to be bull****. Covering your tracks with studies with spurious links to what you have been saying doesn't alleviate that. My mind was open at the outset, hence why I asked for the evidence. You've so far failed to produce it - what you've produced instead is studies which do not support your original point and some vague fudgery to bridge the gap.

Well I hope my clarifications have improved our mutual understanding. Regardless, now I really must do my dissertation. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 41b
Abandoning your duty, giving up your necessities and so on doesn't make you happier, it makes you a child. Being a child gives fleeting happiness and nothing greater. The breakdown of social pressure on women to conform to their duty and promotion of child-like, pro-promiscuity, zero-responsibility (ie. child like) behaviour is, in my view, the primary reason women's happiness has declined precipitiously over the last decades. http://www.nber.org/papers/w14969

The promotion of leaving relationships at the first sign of unhappiness does not lead to greater happiness. Happiness is earned by struggle, perseverance and loyalty, the exact opposite of the promiscuous attitude. The fact that technology and atomisation is not the cause of this fall in happiness is evidenced by the unchanging male happiness. It is only women who have become unhappier as their traditional social responsibilities have been lifted and they've been given license to act irresponsiby and in a promiscuous manner.

Ah, 'at the first sign of unhappiness' - I definitely didn't say that. I doubt that divorce is a decision taken lightly by practically anyone. And having sexual partners before marriage makes you promiscuous? Are you religious by any chance?

Original post by 41b
As the heritage study showed, more sexual partners = more failure of marriage. The fact that women sleep with 20 or more men today is a strong indicator of why the marriage rate is so low, and the divorce rate is so high. My view is that it is a combination of biology and emotions. The biological effect might be short term, but the memory of that happiness is relatively long term. If my wife has slept with 20 guys before me and has had happy times with them, then every time we get into a fight she will think of being with them. This greater choice does not benefit the woman, it just deprives her of her sense of duty to struggle and persevere to create a better relationship, because she does truly have other options. When someone is always thinking "I can always go to someone else" the marriage inevitably fails.

This combination of the biological effect leading to emotional confusion and disloyalty (which I called the hormal effect) is, in my view, the reason that greater promiscuity leads to collapsing marriages. The fact that this girl has saved herself until now is a good thing and it will be better for her and her happiness if she saves herself until marriage, even if it deprives her of the "choice" of an alternative that itself promotes failure.

With respect, I don't much care about your view. You're neither a researcher nor a woman, so I don't think your perspective carries much weight.

Original post by 41b

And they also create happiness, improve concentration, increases maternal behaviour, mediates (permits or allows, I think) bonding, may decrease anxiety, reduces PMS and depression, and so on. This one is good too: "Serotonin: increases sperm motility. It also mediates mood, although not much known yet about vaginal absorption. Even if it doesn’t make it to the brain, it may indirectly alter behavior and emotions by contributing the building blocks of serotonin." Melatonin, which improves sleep, Tyrosine, "Tyrosine: a precursor of neurotransmitters such as dopamine, the hormone of reward and addiction, and norepinephrine, involved in attention and arousal."

These are really powerful effects. They make a woman feel really good, if the sperm is healthy enough to provide them in quantity. Surely, you should think, the memory of a good feeling with many, many other men is enough of a distraction during times of pain and suffering in a relationship, sufficient to promote relationship abandonment or marriage collapse/failure? And it is true we tend to remember the good times, rather than the bad times, or even value the good more than the bad. Do you not think this would promote marriage failure?

And yet all of these seminal benefits continue to be enjoyed across multiple partners...

Original post by 41b
I would argue that because of that hormonal effect which I described earlier, they precisely do brand women, and it is indeed borne out in the evidence. The more partners a woman has, the less likely her marriage is to be successful. Namely, 1 partner and only 1 = 80%, 2, 50%, and any more around 20%.

It is not borne out by the evidence. We've covered this, 41b - the evidence you originally provided was woefully inadequate to support the argument you're making. The fact that women who have only had one sexual partner are less likely to divorce is just as well explained by another phenomenon: that these people are quite likely to be strongly religious, and that divorce is stigmatised in strongly religious communities. And there are additional factors besides this.

Quick Reply

Latest