The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Msc Financial Economics - what are my chances? Failed a year at a lower ranked Uni...

Hi guys,

I am interested in the Msc Financial Economics course that the University of Oxford is offering but I am not quite sure if they would consider me.

Here is my problem, I went to a low ranked University in the UK (30-40) and failed my second year due to mitigating circumstances, also performed very poorly in my first year due to external health related factors.

Anyway, the reason I went to that University in the first place is because I did a BTEC instead of the traditional A-levels. I received an average of 86% in the end (91% in my final year) and during and after my degree I decided to do A-levels (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Further Mathematics Additional and Economics all As, also took them wihin a year instead of two years).

After my degree I completed three years at PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) gaining the ACA qualification, all first time passes. Furthermore, I passed all three levels of the CFA qualification (first time passes) and am currently working on the RSS Graduate Diploma in Statistics (hoping to complete it this summer).

I am currently 27 years old (will be 29 when/if I start), what are my chances of getting accepted? In addition, from your perspective, do you think I am too old for a Masters? An MBA would probably be a more favourable option but I am not quite sure if I want to do it since it is quite costly.

The course I studied was Management with Economics by the way.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Nobody wants to aid me, not even a single reply?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Original post by HiMark
Nobody wants to aid me, not even a single reply?

Your best bet would be to email the university's department with an outline of your history, mitigating circumstances and grades and ask them directly if you would stand a decent chance. :smile:

Also I don't think you are ever too old to study a masters. Only you know if you'd be able to afford it though.. What do you think having a degree from Oxbridge would help you do that you can't do now?
Reply 3
Original post by TheWaffle
What do you think having a degree from Oxbridge would help you do that you can't do now?

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Are you trying to tell me that a Masters would be useless at this stage of my life? Could you please elaborate?
Original post by HiMark
Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Are you trying to tell me that a Masters would be useless at this stage of my life? Could you please elaborate?

No not at all :smile: I'm just asking as you probably have strong reasons for wanting to do it so maybe writing them out would help you to weigh up the benefits of going for it despite the financial implications.
Reply 5
I see; thanks a lot.
I am single and I am earning very well so there are no monetary concerns, but I am VERY INSECURE about the University I attended during my Undergraduate studies which is why I am aiming to study a finance related Masters at Oxford, LSE or Imperial.

The people I am working with have all come from these implausible further education colleges and I also want to be one of them. I’ve underachieved in my life and would like to demonstrate my potential and experience one of these Universities...even if it is for only one year.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by HiMark
I see; thanks a lot.
I am single and I am earning very well so there are no monetary concerns, but I am VERY INSECURE about the University I attended during my Undergraduate studies which is why I am aiming to study a finance related Masters at Oxford, LSE or Imperial.

The people I am working with have all come from these implausible further education colleges and I also want to be one of them. I’ve underachieved in my life and would like to demonstrate my potential and experience one of these Universities...even if it is for only one year.

Have you reached the same level as the people you work with? If so, why do you feel you have underachieved?
Reply 7
Original post by Pars12
Have you reached the same level as the people you work with? If so, why do you feel you have underachieved?

It is just a personal thing, I've worked very hard to be where I am today but I believe that I can do more.
Reply 8
Original post by HiMark
It is just a personal thing, I've worked very hard to be where I am today but I believe that I can do more.

Do you need it for career enhancement or is it a self-worth thing? I'm puzzled because the subject has always seemed to be a "means to an end" thing to me (i.e. the aim is to get a career in finance) and you seem to be there already.
Reply 9
Original post by Pars12
Do you need it for career enhancement or is it a self-worth thing? I'm puzzled because the subject has always seemed to be a "means to an end" thing to me (i.e. the aim is to get a career in finance) and you seem to be there already.

Indeed, this is the aim. I want a career switch, aplogies for not making it clear. This is the reason why I decided to study for the CFA qualification.
What classification was your overall degree?
Reply 11
Original post by Exceptional
What classification was your overall degree?

I received a first class degree (86%).

Quick Reply

Latest