The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Which A level combination is better for Accounting & Finance at LSE?

So, I'm about to start my A levels and I would really like to study Accounting & Finance at lse. There are two types of subject combination that I'm considering.

A) maths, economics, sociology, accounting
B) maths, economics, chemistry, physics

I know physics and chemistry has nothing to do with the A&F course but I'm considering because both are strong science subjects. Based on lse Accounting department admission criteria, it states that many successful applicants have completed an essay based subject such as economics in addition to accounting, the sciences and further maths.

So I guess combination A is pretty good as well since sociology is also an essay based subject. I would like to hear from any successful A&F applicants from lse.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sociology is a soft subject. What about maths, eco, accounts and phys/chem?

Eco is an essay based subject so you've got that covered.
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
I would choose option B, if you can get As in all of these subjects then you stand a very good chance.
What are you planning on doing once you've completed your studies, by the way?
I would go for B. What you quoted from the LSE website could potentially be very misleading. A lot of applicants would take up accounting, therefore just because many admitted ones had taken accounting, it doesn't mean that taking accounting results in a higher admission rate. There are also a lot of A&F students who have not taken accounting at A level. Anyway, you can consider taking Accounting as a 5th AS subject if you are really fixated on it. I know of some current A&F students who have done that.
Reply 4
Original post by vela1
Sociology is a soft subject. What about maths, eco, accounts and phys/chem?

Eco is an essay based subject so you've got that covered.

I wanted to do that actually, but my school does not offer that combination.
Reply 5
Original post by HiMark
I would choose option B, if you can get As in all of these subjects then you stand a very good chance.
What are you planning on doing once you've completed your studies, by the way?

I don't want to be an accountant. I'm more intrested in the buisness field.
Original post by Dayallen
I don't want to be an accountant. I'm more intrested in the buisness field.

You do realise that there's a BSc Finance course for the 2016 entry, don't you? It might be more suited for your case.
Reply 8
Original post by JediHamster
I would go for B. What you quoted from the LSE website could potentially be very misleading. A lot of applicants would take up accounting, therefore just because many admitted ones had taken accounting, it doesn't mean that taking accounting results in a higher admission rate. There are also a lot of A&F students who have not taken accounting at A level. Anyway, you can consider taking Accounting as a 5th AS subject if you are really fixated on it. I know of some current A&F students who have done that.

Unfortunately I can't do a 5th AS subject at my school. I can only do up to 4. So what do you suggest? The combination A or B?
Reply 9
You do realise that there's a BSc Finance course for the 2016 entry, don't you? It might be more suited for your case.

Ya, I'm also considering that. But if I'm not mistaken, it requires further maths. I'm not really confident with further maths..
B) Maths, Economics, Chemistry, Physics
Original post by Dayallen
Unfortunately I can't do a 5th AS subject at my school. I can only do up to 4. So what do you suggest? The combination A or B?

I would still suggest B.
I would still suggest B.

Option B Math/Eco/Chem/Physics seems quite a heavy workload. Also consider for your 4th subject consider another AS subject to ease the workload. You only need 3 A levels. Or you could consider Accounting and Sociology for your 4th subject.

I was accepted for A&F at LSE with math/chem/physics at A level and I also completed a AS level subject(Bio) to ease the workload in my last year.

This gave me more time to focus on Math which is very time consuming.

I consider the stronger option would have been math/eco/Any Science
Reply 13
Original post by Harry7777
Option B Math/Eco/Chem/Physics seems quite a heavy workload. Also consider for your 4th subject consider another AS subject to ease the workload. You only need 3 A levels. Or you could consider Accounting and Sociology for your 4th subject.

I was accepted for A&F at LSE with math/chem/physics at A level and I also completed a AS level subject(Bio) to ease the workload in my last year.

This gave me more time to focus on Math which is very time consuming.

I consider the stronger option would have been math/eco/Any Science

Thanks for your opinion man. So you're saying I should do 4 As and 3 A2 is it? So I would do option B but only do maths, economics, and physics for A2. I will do chemistry as an AS level subject only.

What do you think?
Pick B then drop either physics/chem at a2, whichever you feel more confident getting an A in.

Even if you do get AAAA at AS don't think your getting in, get some work experience / unique extra curricular/s and then you'll have a good shot.
I'm also in the same position as the OP, I want to do A&F at LSE.
I'm currently thinking of doing maths, economics, physics and AS business, would these choices be suitable? Any advice would be appreciated!
ummm def not accounting nor business studies. They are on the list of the lse non- preferred subjects. i am doing economics, biology, maths chem and a language subject and i got an offer for A& F in lse this year. I would pick phy, econ, maths and chem if i were you, and if available, also take further maths.
Original post by annanoon918
ummm def not accounting nor business studies. They are on the list of the lse non- preferred subjects. i am doing economics, biology, maths chem and a language subject and i got an offer for A& F in lse this year. I would pick phy, econ, maths and chem if i were you, and if available, also take further maths.

What if I did maths, economics, physics and AS further maths?
I agree , definitely not Accounting and Business studies . that is strong combination maths, economics, physics and AS further maths.
Just need a good PS (see the examples for LSE on TSR) and you have a chance. Choosing a non preferred subject such as Accounting at A Level must decrease your chances or possibly eliminate you when they measure you against your cohorts.
Original post by Abrar Azad
What if I did maths, economics, physics and AS further maths?

It's always better to take further maths as a fifth subject. Or else your subject choice will look pretty narrow- if you get what i mean :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending