oliviamalona
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello! I am an overseas pg student, looking to get my MA in early modern/medieval history. I am trying to decide between Kent and Sheffield. Can anyone at Sheffield tell me - is there any green/quiet space around the city, I'm from a small town and worry i won't be able to handle the commotion. I also wonder about the historic atmosphere, I know Canterbury is rich in history but it seems like most of Sheffield's history has been demolished.

I know Sheffield has the better program, I was just hoping someone could ease my concerns.
SnoochToTheBooch
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Loads of greenery in Sheffield.
Wtidbury
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Im starting at sheffield in september and recently went to the city for an interview.

From my limited view the city is very open, not too congested at all and very green, one statistic that I liked was that its the greenest city in the UK while also being the 4th largest city.

Also 1 third of the city is within the peak district national park, which means there is a huge amount of open green space to explore and get some peace in right on your doorstep
sheffunistudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by oliviamalona)
Hello! I am an overseas pg student, looking to get my MA in early modern/medieval history. I am trying to decide between Kent and Sheffield. Can anyone at Sheffield tell me - is there any green/quiet space around the city, I'm from a small town and worry i won't be able to handle the commotion. I also wonder about the historic atmosphere, I know Canterbury is rich in history but it seems like most of Sheffield's history has been demolished.

I know Sheffield has the better program, I was just hoping someone could ease my concerns.
Hi! Definitely choose Sheffield, it has so much to offer and is a truly wonderful city. Sheffield is the greenest city in Europe (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18882324) - we have more parks and green space than any other city in Europe. Sheffield is not a massive city, you have a nice balance between the facilities of a larger city combined with the community feel of a smaller one (people often describe Sheffield as being a "large village"). The city has many historic buildings (e.g. the City Hall, Town Hall, shops on Fargate), but also many beautiful modern buildings. There are many small shops and restaurants on Division Street, with a large grassy area on Devonshire Green. The University campus is located next to Weston Park, a large park with a traditional bandstand and duck pond, all overlooked by the Weston Park Museum and Mappin Art Gallery. Another good point about Sheffield is the accommodation. The Endcliffe and Ranmoor student villages are both located in the leafy western suburbs of the city - a really nice place to live, and only about 15 minutes walk from campus. I've attached a YouTube video, produced by the University; I think it gives a good overview of the City.

I hope I have done enough to convince you to come to Sheffield. I originally went to the University of Leeds, however dropped out as I didn't like it there. I absolutely love Sheffield, and want people to experience what I have been lucky enough to discover. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!

oliviamalona
Rep:
?
Thank you very much for your help! that video actually led me to a bunch of other Sheffield videos that were extremely helpful. I'm fairly certain that's the direction I'm going in.

Any information on what the weather is really like there?
oliviamalona
Rep:
?
Thank you for your help! I had seen those statistics but wasn't sure how much stock to place in them. I appreciate it!
Wtidbury
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by oliviamalona)
Thank you for your help! I had seen those statistics but wasn't sure how much stock to place in them. I appreciate it!
You're welcome, im going to be new to sheffield aswell, but the city really is lovely.

I had never been before and was incredibly pleased when i got off the train and walked around! Very much looking forward to starting
OneRambo16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sheffunistudent)
Hi! Definitely choose Sheffield, it has so much to offer and is a truly wonderful city. Sheffield is the greenest city in Europe (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-18882324) - we have more parks and green space than any other city in Europe. Sheffield is not a massive city, you have a nice balance between the facilities of a larger city combined with the community feel of a smaller one (people often describe Sheffield as being a "large village"). The city has many historic buildings (e.g. the City Hall, Town Hall, shops on Fargate), but also many beautiful modern buildings. There are many small shops and restaurants on Division Street, with a large grassy area on Devonshire Green. The University campus is located next to Weston Park, a large park with a traditional bandstand and duck pond, all overlooked by the Weston Park Museum and Mappin Art Gallery. Another good point about Sheffield is the accommodation. The Endcliffe and Ranmoor student villages are both located in the leafy western suburbs of the city - a really nice place to live, and only about 15 minutes walk from campus. I've attached a YouTube video, produced by the University; I think it gives a good overview of the City.

I hope I have done enough to convince you to come to Sheffield. I originally went to the University of Leeds, however dropped out as I didn't like it there. I absolutely love Sheffield, and want people to experience what I have been lucky enough to discover. If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to ask me!

Are there are any sports facilities (mainly football) close to the University?

Posted from TSR Mobile
sheffunistudent
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi! Yes the University has several large synthetic pitches on campus, located on Northumberland Road (part of the Sport Sheffield complex). The University also has its own playing fields, however these are located a short distance away from campus. If you live at Endcliffe, there is a large field on-site there, and many residents play football on there.

Alternatively, there are several private providers of sports pitches (e.g. I play football on one in Crookes, which is a 10 minute walk from campus).

As well as the University football club which you can play for, you would also have the opportunity to play for your department and/or your halls of residence. So there are loads of different teams you can join, and play as often as you want. Hope this helps!
OneRambo16
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by sheffunistudent)
Hi! Yes the University has several large synthetic pitches on campus, located on Northumberland Road (part of the Sport Sheffield complex). The University also has its own playing fields, however these are located a short distance away from campus. If you live at Endcliffe, there is a large field on-site there, and many residents play football on there.

Alternatively, there are several private providers of sports pitches (e.g. I play football on one in Crookes, which is a 10 minute walk from campus).

As well as the University football club which you can play for, you would also have the opportunity to play for your department and/or your halls of residence. So there are loads of different teams you can join, and play as often as you want. Hope this helps!
Brilliant! Thanks a lot for the information

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (88)
38.94%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (25)
11.06%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
6.64%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (55)
24.34%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
11.95%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.08%

Watched Threads