tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
Did the solipsism and sceptical problem essays. I absolutely walked the first one, but I feel like the second one was a bit shaky. I knew the content and but down the relevant points, but I feel as if my argumentation lacked a bit of clarity and could have been more lucid.

I feel like it was a low A overall, but seeing as I walked the first two and have no worries about the next one, I can't really complain.
Can I ask what exactly you put in your Solipsism essay?
adaxboy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hannah__)
I did the relativist question, I wrote about 7 pages but my handwriting is pretty big. Started off my defining cultural relativism, gave examples etc, briefly mentioned how it appeals to verificationism, then criticised then endorsement of 'tolerance' implied by relativism, talked about the is/ought gap and a few counter objections, then wrote about naturalism and utilitarianism as alternative theories for supposing we can judge other cultures, concluded that utilitarianism offers the most powerful argument for judging other cultures, and that relativism is a poor argument. Don't think I did as well as the political section but don't think it went too bad. You could still probably get a B without a conclusion if you went into enough detail + evaluated throughout the question .
Sounds good. I wrote 3 pages on relativism and then 2.5 on emotivism. Included all the the theory and evaluation so I shouldn't lose too many marks hopefully for the lack of conclusion. This exact question is basically the same as the one that came up in June 2010 and I got 40/50 on that when I handed it in so hopefully I got somewhere similar to that at around 35-40. The political one I thought was better even though both questions seemed very similar. I talked about positive freedom vs negative freedom and then all the political ideologies views on Liberty and law. Hopefully should get an A-/A on this paper. Unit 4 seems to be easier.
dmcque
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi,

What happens if you got the information correct but due to the stress put the wrong name??

I think I might have done that.

Ahhh

Hopefully I didn't

(Original post by VannR)
Did the solipsism and sceptical problem essays. I absolutely walked the first one, but I feel like the second one was a bit shaky. I knew the content and but down the relevant points, but I feel as if my argumentation lacked a bit of clarity and could have been more lucid.

I feel like it was a low A overall, but seeing as I walked the first two and have no worries about the next one, I can't really complain.
adaxboy
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So then on to PHIL 4. Anyone doing Mill? I'm personally predicting mills instrumental/intrinsic accounts or freedom of action for the 15 marker and free speech and democracy for the 45 markers.
notcoolnerd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone doing Descartes? I'm so unprepared
tomfailinghelp
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by notcoolnerd)
Anyone doing Descartes? I'm so unprepared
Yeah! The 45 Marks are fine but its kind of funny how ****ed I am for the small questions.
VannR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tomfailinghelp)
Can I ask what exactly you put in your Solipsism essay?
I developed substance dualism first before discussing how it leads to solipsism through the private language thesis, and then discussing it in more general terms by considering our lack of experience of other minds.

Then I looked at how arguments from analogy with ourselves and hypothesis may remove solipsism in a common-sense way, but remarked that they do not resolve sceptical doubt since they are inductive. The issue was dealt with more strongly by considering Wittgenstein's argument for our phenomenal awareness of other minds, and then how the private language thesis is incompatible with language developing a form of semantic externalism, and so if meaning is publicly fixed, other minds must exist.

The last paragraph was essentially a clarification of my position - the problem can be solved.

EDIT: the difference between my answer and yours appears to be that you developed the problem in general terms alone and went for a discussion of how analytical behaviourism may be used as a solution; my answer was focused more upon solipsism as a general doubt, but particularly as something which arises from the private language thesis from substance dualism, and may have gone a little bit further into Wittgenstein's arguments against solipsism (there are two of them).
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dmcque)
Hi,

What happens if you got the information correct but due to the stress put the wrong name??

I think I might have done that.

Ahhh

Hopefully I didn't
In some of the exemplar material there was an A* essay which had a clear error about functionalism, claiming that it faced the multiple realisability problem. I think you will be fine
Haiych
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone doing mill? i need help please pm me if you are !!
tomfailinghelp
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by VannR)
I developed substance dualism first before discussing how it leads to solipsism through the private language thesis, and then discussing it in more general terms by considering our lack of experience of other minds.

Then I looked at how arguments from analogy with ourselves and hypothesis may remove solipsism in a common-sense way, but remarked that they do not resolve sceptical doubt since they are inductive. The issue was dealt with more strongly by considering Wittgenstein's argument for our phenomenal awareness of other minds, and then how the private language thesis is incompatible with language developing a form of semantic externalism, and so if meaning is publicly fixed, other minds must exist.

The last paragraph was essentially a clarification of my position - the problem can be solved.

EDIT: the difference between my answer and yours appears to be that you developed the problem in general terms alone and went for a discussion of how analytical behaviourism may be used as a solution; my answer was focused more upon solipsism as a general doubt, but particularly as something which arises from the private language thesis from substance dualism, and may have gone a little bit further into Wittgenstein's arguments against solipsism (there are two of them).
Thanks dude. It doesn't really matter now anyway, I've just realised that I totally didn't evaluate at all in my essays (particularly Philosophy of Mind). I don't know how I managed that. Results day will not be fun.
TSweety
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Any1 doing plato anď willing to share essays
notcoolnerd
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tomfailinghelp)
Yeah! The 45 Marks are fine but its kind of funny how ****ed I am for the small questions.
Yea I agree! The 45 markers you can pretty much quote what you want, but the 15markers are so specific and mean you have to know the text back to front (which I don't at all). I've got a secure bank of quotes, but no where near enough to cover the 15 markers. I will be frantically cramming!
VannR
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dmcque)
X
I was wondering if it was possible for you to send me the June 2010 paper and mark scheme for PHIL4, seeing as you had it for PHIL3 and it is not available on the web anymore. It would be greatly appreciated if you could - is it not the case that half the questions yesterday were on topics that were on the June 2010 paper ?

Thanks.

EDIT: found them on studentbounty.com. Don't worry about it .
faizayasmin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by notcoolnerd)
That sounds good! I did the second question on EM. I'm now trying not to think about it though, as I'm panicking that I haven't evaluated enough! You know when you can't explicitly remember doing something, so you're just hoping that you did it automatically? Yea that's me right now!
yaaaaa, don't worry hopefully we get the grades we need
faizayasmin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by adaxboy)
How much did you write on relativism? I also included emotivism as an alternative theory as I think that still gets marks. I didn't have time to write a conclusion though
I briefly mentioned normative relativism in my conclusion and how it exists/fits in with our society. This is undeniable. But throughout my essay I showed how utilitarianism (rule, act) can justify the act of human sacrifice.
faizayasmin
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Hannah__)
I did the relativist question, I wrote about 7 pages but my handwriting is pretty big. Started off my defining cultural relativism, gave examples etc, briefly mentioned how it appeals to verificationism, then criticised then endorsement of 'tolerance' implied by relativism, talked about the is/ought gap and a few counter objections, then wrote about naturalism and utilitarianism as alternative theories for supposing we can judge other cultures, concluded that utilitarianism offers the most powerful argument for judging other cultures, and that relativism is a poor argument. Don't think I did as well as the political section but don't think it went too bad. You could still probably get a B without a conclusion if you went into enough detail + evaluated throughout the question .
I talked about the is/out gap, bridging it with reasons, verification principle and the open question argument. I know it sounds like alot now I hope I made sense
caahcobain
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I feel like my political phil answer was pretty good but im having some serious break down when thinking about the moral one. I've tried to mainly relate it to cultures/cultural relativism and relativism as a whole, and ran out of time and couldnt get to mention Hume OR Moore. Though i did mention existentionalism, Plato, naturalism(virtue ethics, utilitarianism) but then looking back i feel like i've done really bad compared to how much I knew and the time factor was a problem too =/ is it possible to even get a high grade do u reckon, in my situation?
Hannah__
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by caahcobain)
I feel like my political phil answer was pretty good but im having some serious break down when thinking about the moral one. I've tried to mainly relate it to cultures/cultural relativism and relativism as a whole, and ran out of time and couldnt get to mention Hume OR Moore. Though i did mention existentionalism, Plato, naturalism(virtue ethics, utilitarianism) but then looking back i feel like i've done really bad compared to how much I knew and the time factor was a problem too =/ is it possible to even get a high grade do u reckon, in my situation?
I did a paper once once where I didn't talk about any other cognitive theories, only evaluating emotivism and error theory and got 37/50, which would have been an A with the grade boundaries . If you went into enough detail and picked up enough AO1/AO2 marks you should (hopefully!) be fine.
Inflamel42
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is anybody doing, or has done PHIL4 PLATO?

The 15 marks are simple to answer but hard to gain the full 15 marks, if anybody has some perfect answers I would be grateful!

***Also PHIL4 Plato notes and exemplar essays in general would be good if anyone is willing to share?
The Nightingale
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is anyone else in the world doing Mill? I'm frantically cramming him in 8 hours a day, because I was so worried about Unit 3 I've basically neglected Unit 4, up until now. Really struggling to remember quotes. I've got maybe 6/7 memorised, but I need about double that - eeek! It's tough getting them to stick! If anyone else is doing Mill, how would you go about answering a instrumenal/intrinsic account of liberty question. Do you think that would be a 45 marker or only ever a 15-marker?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.74%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.68%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.25%
It might lead to more bullying (131)
38.42%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.91%

Watched Threads