The Student Room Group

Aqa A2 Philosophy Unit 3 & 4, PHIL3/PHIL4 Revision Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
What is the general essay structure for this exam.
15 marker - is generally an outline question?
45 marker- how many points should we make, quotes included?
A brief overview of the two questions would be great !!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by chailatte101
i am going to fail descartes tomorrow - basically left all my revision to the day before. I hate myself :'(

literally same, I don't have a clue. I have just been looking at past questions and one was "Outline Descartes’ ontological argument and explain key objections that may be used against it." and I think that if we got something like that I would probably walk out of the exam
Original post by jazminfannon97
literally same, I don't have a clue. I have just been looking at past questions and one was "Outline Descartes’ ontological argument and explain key objections that may be used against it." and I think that if we got something like that I would probably walk out of the exam

You're wrong, the question doesn't say anything about the objections - it's just 'outline Descartes' ontological argument'.
What is everyone predicting for the Descartes 15 mark?

I feel like 'Cogito' might come up, or possibility the distinction between intellect and imagination.

Original post by notcoolnerd
Where did you get a spec for 15 markers?! Our teacher things the trademark will come up...
We've barely done any practice questions. I got one back from my teacher today which was a B but I need an A so crying inside :frown:
Oh and your question about quotes. For the 15 markers I'm pretty sure you need quotes? In order to demonstrate full understanding of the text. Then for the 45marker we've been told to try and get a quote in every paragraph. Ok really worried for this exam as I just feel like I don't know anything... Like if something comes up with the 15markers that I don't know, then i don't know what I'll do 😩

Original post by niamhryle
Don't take my word for it - it could come up. It would be very nice if it did actually.

I've spoken to my teacher about the quotes thing and he said he spoke about it to Michael Lacewing (you know, textbook guy who works for the exam board) when he came into our school and quotes are not required, otherwise the mark scheme would have explicitly stated so. Of course they don't hurt but apparently textual detail is more along the lines of arguing in the order Descartes argues, referencing Meditations and using keywords. So either is fine I suppose - but I don't think absolutely necessary for getting an A. You obviously have your standard "I am, I exist" which are best memorised, though.

I know you're right about the trademark argument not being on the spec (at all, actually), but it was in a 45 mark question so I'm not really sure if its safe to say it definitely won't come up. Will probably be alright though.
Original post by tomfailinghelp
You're wrong, the question doesn't say anything about the objections - it's just 'outline Descartes' ontological argument'.

i copy and pasted it from the question paper...
Original post by Haiych
What is the general essay structure for this exam.
15 marker - is generally an outline question?
45 marker- how many points should we make, quotes included?
A brief overview of the two questions would be great !!!

Ive been taught this kind of structure..

15 markers

Introduction
Point 1
Examples/illustrations
Point 2
Examples/illustrations
Conclusion

45 markers

Intro
Point
Counter
Meta
Point 2
Counter
Meta
Conclusion

or

Intro
Point
Counter
Point
Counter
Point
Counter
Conclusion

Or some kind of variation of the two?

As for quotes, the more the better of course haha, but definitely section references. Then for 15s maybe one quote in each point and in 45s 3 or more quotes would be good I think.

I'm doing Hume so I'm not sure but I assume it's the same for whatever one. But yeah, thats just what my teacher has suggested - hope it helps! :smile:
I called the AQA Philosophy examination officer earlier (I'm not even lying about this - this is how much of a stress pot I am) and quotes are in no way needed. There are more ways to demonstrate engagement with the text than quoting it, and that's from the horse's mouth. Quotes can indeed be beneficial but just using key words and referencing, if done correctly of course, will not prevent your essay from getting top marks.

Again, the example essay they have uploaded for God has no quotes at all and scored higher than the mind/body essay that did have quotes.
I called the AQA Philosophy examination officer earlier (I'm not even lying about this - this is how much of a stress pot I am) and quotes are in no way needed. There are more ways to demonstrate engagement with the text than quoting it, and that's from the horse's mouth. Quotes can indeed be beneficial but just using key words and referencing, if done correctly of course, will not prevent your essay from getting top marks.

Again, the example essay they have uploaded for God has no quotes at all and scored higher than the mind/body essay that did have quotes.

oh my god this makes me feel so much better, thank you!!
Original post by itmebeth
oh my god this makes me feel so much better, thank you!!

I'm as relieved as you are. I didn't think we had to but the man was very nice and just told me that if your teacher has not told you to remember quotes then that's fine. In fact he specifically said, and I quote, "that's not really what we're testing you on".

He probably thinks I am very unorganised calling the night before an exam but needs must.
Good luck for tomorrow peeps! Currently I'm feeling nice and calm - hope I feel this way tomorrow :tongue: It's my last exam. Doing Mill - hope we get beautiful questions! I can almost taste the freedom. I've crammed for this exam, because there was so much to cover for Unit 3, so I feel a little cautious, but I figure keeping a clear head will help me a lot, so here's hoping!
is anyone doing hume? if so what questions do you think will come up? thanks in advance!
Reply 271
Original post by itmebeth
Ive been taught this kind of structure..

15 markers

Introduction
Point 1
Examples/illustrations
Point 2
Examples/illustrations
Conclusion

45 markers

Intro
Point
Counter
Meta
Point 2
Counter
Meta
Conclusion

or

Intro
Point
Counter
Point
Counter
Point
Counter
Conclusion

Or some kind of variation of the two?

As for quotes, the more the better of course haha, but definitely section references. Then for 15s maybe one quote in each point and in 45s 3 or more quotes would be good I think.

I'm doing Hume so I'm not sure but I assume it's the same for whatever one. But yeah, thats just what my teacher has suggested - hope it helps! :smile:

Thanks for that :smile:
Original post by ChardeeMacDennis
Can a 15 or 45 marker come up for chapter 5 (Applications) on Mill? If so, any ideas what it would look like? Thanks in advance!

If it comes up as a 15 marker or 45 marker then it's alswys been included with the harm principle aswell. E,g. A past 15 mark q was explain mills harm principle and give any 3 applications of that principle.
Original post by adaxboy
If it comes up as a 15 marker or 45 marker then it's alswys been included with the harm principle aswell. E,g. A past 15 mark q was explain mills harm principle and give any 3 applications of that principle.

Oh, that's a bit better but i still don't think i can answer it. 3 Applications? :confused:
Reply 274
GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW MORNING EVERYONE!

*logs off.
heyyy, anybody doing Plato tomorrow?

btw, good luck to everyone :smile:
I'm as relieved as you are. I didn't think we had to but the man was very nice and just told me that if your teacher has not told you to remember quotes then that's fine. In fact he specifically said, and I quote, "that's not really what we're testing you on".

He probably thinks I am very unorganised calling the night before an exam but needs must.

Awesome, well I trust him more than my teacher! Did you ask about whether we still have to include section references? I'm sure you're one of many, besides - better ask late than never, the option of not including quotes hadn't even occurred to me.
Original post by myasamirah
heyyy, anybody doing Plato tomorrow?

btw, good luck to everyone :smile:

im doing plato:smile: have no idea about anything though :'(
Reply 278
Hey Guys,
Since i ve created this thread I just wanted to say tht I hope this thread was really useful for all those wonderful philosophers out there :smile:
Also I would Like to thank u all for ur contributions,support and all the love
And Wishing YOU GUYS THE BEST OF LUCK FOR 2moro's Philosophy Exam :wink:
Rockk itt :wink:
Original post by Rawrrr
im doing plato:smile: have no idea about anything though :'(

aww don't say that! I'm sure you do. Just do your best and don't stress :smile:
have your teachers made any predictions about what's going to come up?
I hope there's a nice questions about political rule!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending