Learning a language to pass the time?

Watch
scrunkie
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi I've currently finished Uni and I'm applying for jobs, but not really getting anywhere with that. I go to the gym 4/5times a week (non-weekends) but I'm still really bored at home until September.

I was thinking of learning a language, but have no idea where to start or what would be the most effective way to learn? So any tips would be really useful!

Or even any other ideas on productive things to do with my elongated summer
username1549081
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by scrunkie)
Hi I've currently finished Uni and I'm applying for jobs, but not really getting anywhere with that. I go to the gym 4/5times a week (non-weekends) but I'm still really bored at home until September.

I was thinking of learning a language, but have no idea where to start or what would be the most effective way to learn? So any tips would be really useful!

What languages did you do at GCSE's? You might wanna try learning a language that might come in use for your degree?
Hope this is useful
scrunkie
Rep:
?
(Original post by PurpleGhost25175)
What languages did you do at GCSE's? You might wanna try learning a language that might come in use for your degree?
Hope this is useful
I did French and German, I don't think any languages are going to come in use for my degree as I'm doing a social sciences subject
super_kawaii
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Learning a language is a really good idea to pass time over summer.

The first step is to learn some basic vocab and then once you've got that down, you'll want to start learning some basic grammar.

www.memrise.com is a really good site for learning vocab
scrunkie
Rep:
?
(Original post by super_kawaii)
Learning a language is a really good idea to pass time over summer.

The first step is to learn some basic vocab and then once you've got that down, you'll want to start learning some basic grammar.

www.memrise.com is a really good site for learning vocab
Great site, thanks
TheTipsyTarsier
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I love doing this I tend to pick up and drop languages. I've done Italian and mandarin in uni but I was learning polish and greek alone. What kind of language are you after? You could go for an easier one that shares the Roman alphabet or maybe something like mandarin if you want a challenge. Mandarin is great fun to learn, and drawing the characters makes you feel pretty accomplished. First steps, maybe download Duolinguo, see what languages they have and what you fancy.

When learning, I've always followed the same path. First I compile a sort of fact sheet for the language. Super basic things that you find online such as whether it's a subject-verb-object lang, if the verbs conjugate and what the variations are etc. Then I practice the sounds of the alphabet with a youtube vid (especially for things like polish,mandarin,greek). Then I do numbers, days of the week and phrases like good morning/night, hello, goodbye etc. It's really important that you nail the verbs after that. I've been told by teachers "you nail the verbs, you nail the language". The verbs to be, to have and to do are the first three. they need to be drilled into the ground with all their conjugations (if there are any). Also they are often irregular verbs so their pattern is unique to them.

Anyway...I'm rambling now. I might ramble some more if you say you have a specific language in mind
AstroNandos
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is there not any language you would like? Like German or something? There are websites where you can begin learning a language like busuu.com, but idk how far you can get with those
MancStudent098
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Duolingo is a good way to keep you practicing, and it's available free on mobile which is handy. It doesn't teach you grammar properly, so I'd recommend investing in a decent grammar/language guide and doing some study alongside the practice drills. If you want there's also plenty of free material on the internet for major languages, but it takes a bit more discipline to seek it out.
codle
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Once you've picked up some basic grammar and vocab (I'd also recommend Duolingo for the vocab), spend some time watching films or TV shows in the language you're learning. It really immerses you into the language and you start picking up a lot more common phrases etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I don't want to decide until I've received all my offers (39)
40.63%
I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (21)
21.88%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something in the world changes (ie. pandemic-related) (5)
5.21%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
9.38%
I still have more questions before I made my decision (5)
5.21%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (6)
6.25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (11)
11.46%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise