EU/UK tuition fee forms (status classification) Watch

JD7
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,
I've been trawling through TSR and other places trying to resolve this but I thought I'd ask outright as I haven't had much luck finding a definitive answer.

Simply put, I hold a UK passport and am a British citizen, was born in London, lived there for a few years when I was younger, but haven't lived in the UK for the past 14 years. For the past 10 years I have been living in the EU (Spain). I plan to start University this coming October 2015 and have already been classified as Home/EU fee status.

My query is, do I apply as an English full-time student or as an EU student?
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I think you need to discuss it direct with Student Finance (although you should ring more than once, as they're prone to giving a range of advice). Basically, there's no simple answer for your situation based on the info you've provided.

The initial criteria is that you need to have been "ordinarily resident" in the UK for a full three years before the start of your degree, which you haven't, so on first glance you count as an EU student. However if you can prove that you have maintained permanent links to the UK during your time in Spain (e.g. paid tax/NI, held a British bank/savings account, owned property here etc), then you may be considered a Home/UK student for both fees and Student Finance. However if all you have is your UK passport and no other links to the UK, then you may be considered an EU student. Citizenship and nationality don't count for anything unless you have additional links to the UK. Tuition fees are the same for Home and EU students, so that ruling by the uni won't help indicate how SF might rule.

Unfortunately there is no set definition of "ordinary residence". Unhelpfully, it is also legally possible for different organisations to interpret it in different ways. For example it's possible to be judged a Home student by the uni and an EU student by Student Finance. However, the difference is crucial for SF. As an EU student you will only get the Tuition Fee Loan and no help with living costs. As a Home/UK student, you would also have access to a Maintenance Loan (and possibly a Maintenance Grant if you're from a low income household).

UKCISA have a brief summary here and there's a link to the SF guidance at the bottom of the page:
http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Internation...ence-case-law/
JD7
Rep:
?
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I pretty much assumed I was an EU student already and was just looking over the UK forms when I began doubting it a bit. If I don't have any of the aforementioned links to the UK, can we safely assume I am an EU student?

Thanks for all the help!
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JD7)
Thanks for the info, I appreciate it! I pretty much assumed I was an EU student already and was just looking over the UK forms when I began doubting it a bit. If I don't have any of the aforementioned links to the UK, can we safely assume I am an EU student?

Thanks for all the help!
I'd be 90% sure you'd be EU without more UK links, but it's always worth asking SF just to be sure.
FionaMG
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JD7)
Hi,
I've been trawling through TSR and other places trying to resolve this but I thought I'd ask outright as I haven't had much luck finding a definitive answer.

Simply put, I hold a UK passport and am a British citizen, was born in London, lived there for a few years when I was younger, but haven't lived in the UK for the past 14 years. For the past 10 years I have been living in the EU (Spain). I plan to start University this coming October 2015 and have already been classified as Home/EU fee status.

My query is, do I apply as an English full-time student or as an EU student?
Hi.

From what you say, you should be classed as a home student. It's to do with the right that all EU citizens, including Brits, have to move around and reside within the EU.

See this thread, especially the answer in post no. 3:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2870689

Hope this helps.
JD7
Rep:
?
Thanks for your input, that was definitely helpful!

An update: I phoned up Student Finance England and after a little misunderstanding at first they did label me as EU, but when I clarified I had a UK passport they quickly corrected themselves and confirmed I could apply as a Home/UK student because of my right to reside. So I'm going to go with that!

Thanks for all the help from both of you!
gioprete79
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello, I am a student applying for funding for the 2015/2016 academic year. I am a new student just accepted at Leeds uni. I fulfill all the requirements for EU status, but there is one implication that you need to help me a bit.

So my story is:
I am a EU National, born and lived in a EU country all my life, went to school there, worked, have a bank account and my family lives there as well. I hold dual citizenship, Greek and Canadian which I got from my grandparents who lived in Canada for a while.
For the past three years, starting 2012 I lived in Greece, however, in August 2014 I moved for 8 months in Canada to pursue studies at a university, in order to determine what I wanted to with my life. They offered a good program, like a foundation year, and this way I had the ability to develop my interests in various departments. However I was accepted at a full four years BA program and then withdrew, since my intentions from the first place was to stay only for 8 months and then pursue my degree in the EU. I returned in the EU in April right after 8 months.
Despite having being accepted into a four year program, I have a letter from an academic ad visor, that says that my intentions were to stay only for 8 months and a letter from a professor of the same content.

Will I be classified as an overseas student because of that? AND will I still be entitled to a loan?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (174)
48.88%
No (43)
12.08%
I'm not old enough (139)
39.04%

Watched Threads