Xenon1305
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi, how does the distribution of stomata affect the rate of transpiration? [if indeed it does]?
vanessa_rb
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The more stomata the greater rate of transpiration. A plant is always in the constant battle with itself that it needs its stomata to be open for gas exchange - diffusion in of CO2 for photosynthesis and O2 for respiration, but by the same token H2O can also diffuse out!

Plants in very hot climates like xerophytes go to great lengths to try and maintain the concentration of water vapour outside the stomata as similar as the concentration of water inside the leaf by sunken stomata, many hairs around the stomata, and actually having leaves curl up.

- sunken stomata means that any water that has left through the stomata as vapour does not get immediately whisked away by wind
- hairs traps water vapour
- leaves curl up to avoid wind again

All these efforts mean that there water doesn't move down a concentration gradient as the conditions outside the leaf are as close as possible to inside the leaf.

If you want anymore clarity just ask, and if anyone spots a mistake feel free to correct me - I have just put what I can remember from biology lessons!
Hope it helps!
Xenon1305
Rep:
?
(Original post by vanessa_rb)
The more stomata the greater rate of transpiration. A plant is always in the constant battle with itself that it needs its stomata to be open for gas exchange - diffusion in of CO2 for photosynthesis and O2 for respiration, but by the same token H2O can also diffuse out!

Plants in very hot climates like xerophytes go to great lengths to try and maintain the concentration of water vapour outside the stomata as similar as the concentration of water inside the leaf by sunken stomata, many hairs around the stomata, and actually having leaves curl up.

- sunken stomata means that any water that has left through the stomata as vapour does not get immediately whisked away by wind
- hairs traps water vapour
- leaves curl up to avoid wind again

All these efforts mean that there water doesn't move down a concentration gradient as the conditions outside the leaf are as close as possible to inside the leaf.

If you want anymore clarity just ask, and if anyone spots a mistake feel free to correct me - I have just put what I can remember from biology lessons!
Hope it helps!

Thank you! But the thing was asking about the distribution of the stomata, not the stomatal density. I was thinking that the locations of the stomata, regardless of the number does not effect transpiration?
bobbobin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
what do you mean
Xenon1305
Rep:
?
(Original post by bobbobin)
what do you mean
Its not about the number of stomata [stomata density]

Its about the distribution of stomata
vanessa_rb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Xenon1305)
Thank you! But the thing was asking about the distribution of the stomata, not the stomatal density. I was thinking that the locations of the stomata, regardless of the number does not effect transpiration?
oh, haha! Sorry if i just regurgitated loads of stuff you already knew. Do you mean the placement of the stomata and the effect on transpiration? Like e.g Will a leaf with 10 stomata clustered together have the same transpiration rate as a leaf of identical surface area and 10 stomata widely dotted around?
Xenon1305
Rep:
?
oh, haha! Sorry if i just regurgitated loads of stuff you already knew. Do you mean the placement of the stomata and the effect on transpiration? Like e.g Will a leaf with 10 stomata clustered together have the same transpiration rate as a leaf of identical surface area and 10 stomata widely dotted around?

Yes! Thats exactly what i mean xD
vanessa_rb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see! I think the rate of transpiration is relevant to the environment. Because if it is windy in one spot and that spot is away from the clustered area, then transpiration is slower than if it was evenly distributed, but then obviously if the windy bit is over the concentrated area then transpiration is faster that in a lead with even distribution. So I would say that in all environments one with even stomatal distribution then the transpiration rate is more constant that a lead with uneven stomata like distribution, hope that helps
Xenon1305
Rep:
?
I see! I think the rate of transpiration is relevant to the environment. Because if it is windy in one spot and that spot is away from the clustered area, then transpiration is slower than if it was evenly distributed, but then obviously if the windy bit is over the concentrated area then transpiration is faster that in a lead with even distribution. So I would say that in all environments one with even stomatal distribution then the transpiration rate is more constant that a lead with uneven stomata like distribution, hope that helps

Thank you ! Xe
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (58)
17.26%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (95)
28.27%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (128)
38.1%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.1%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.27%

Watched Threads