The Student Room Group

Am i Homophobic

I have no problem with gay people or marriage but a friend asked me my opinion on gay people adopting and i said they shouldn't because of the child being bullied for having gay parents and she said i was homophobic....im not sure if she will tell people and they will bitch about me but i feel really horrible....i haven't seen her since but i have a lesson with her tomorrow...any advice???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone have a opinion....thanks :smile:
Doesn't sound homophobic to me, but you must think the bullying would be pretty severe?
Children can be cruel, but I wouldn't say potential bullying is a good enough reason for a child to not be placed in a same-sex home.
Surely your reason could be to justified against interracial adoption? Or ethnic minorities from having children at all?
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I have no problem with gay people or marriage but a friend asked me my opinion on gay people adopting and i said they shouldn't because of the child being bullied for having gay parents and she said i was homophobic....im not sure if she will tell people and they will bitch about me but i feel really horrible....i haven't seen her since but i have a lesson with her tomorrow...any advice???

you should see the people on my gay muslim thread :rolleyes:
Reply 5
the thing is is that ..........I was bullied in primary school for being Asian and certain sectors of society have a stigma to them.....if the child grows up being bullied because their parents are gay its not going to be a nice experience for them but apart from that i am fine about it....i supported gay marriage and stuff but im worried people will think im really horrible :/
Reply 6
IDK....am i a horrible person for having this opinion?????????
A child is just as likely to be bullied for having no parents and being in care, at least with same sex parents the child has two people who love them unconditionally to go home to, after school every day
Reply 8
Yea i do see your point and im not totally against it i just think maybe not straight away....maybe with time??
Yea i do see your point and im not totally against it i just think maybe not straight away....maybe with time??

What do you mean? It's perfectly legal for gay people to adopt already. What is time going to do?
i mean that it takes time for attitudes to change...........idk.......................i don't have a strong opinion about it put im more towards the side of them not adopting :/
i mean that it takes time for attitudes to change...........idk.......................i don't have a strong opinion about it put im more towards the side of them not adopting :/

attitudes have already changed, hence it being deemed absolutely fine for gay people to adopt. It's your attitude that needs to change. Do you really think a child in the social care system is better off? Have you ever met someone who's lived in care?
Im sorry if i have offended you.....its just a topic im not sure about like i see both sides but to her i just said one side and im worried she now hates me :frown:
Im sorry if i have offended you.....its just a topic im not sure about like i see both sides but to her i just said one side and im worried she now hates me :frown:

you haven't offended. You've given answers I would have expected from someone who's im assuming around 14/15yrs old?

She won't hate you, but the fact that you're worried should make you think about your views and whether they need to be altered don't you think?
yea i know what you mean and im 17 :/ its just one of those things im indecisive about but lean more to one side....yea i will probs start to change my views having researched it and stuff....i just hope she doesnt make me out to be a homophobe :frown:
yea i know what you mean and im 17 :/ its just one of those things im indecisive about but lean more to one side....yea i will probs start to change my views having researched it and stuff....i just hope she doesnt make me out to be a homophobe :frown:

let me a paint a picture.

Imagine you weren't wanted by your mother and she put you up for adoption. Unfortunately no one wanted you so you spent your childhood with no one loving you, moving from care home to foster home back to care home where your only interaction with adults was through care workers and social workers-not very nice eh?

Orrrr your mother puts you up for adoption. Two people of the same gender desperately want to give love and devotion to a little boy or girl and raise them in a home that unconditionally adores them so they adopt you-congrats!. Yes there maybe stigma as both parents are the same gender but atleast you have a stable and loving home. And two parents who will get you through anything.

Which sounds better?
Instead of fearing bullying about same sex parents, children should be taught not to bully, and that same sex relationships are perfectly normal :smile: It helps to think about it like that
(edited 9 years ago)
yea i know the same sex couple does sound like a better lifestyle.....im not sure about my opinion now when you put it like that.......i dont know what to do at school tho.....im really worried people will think im homophobic and bitch and be mean about it :frown:
yea i do see your point when you put it like that :smile:
yea i know the same sex couple does sound like a better lifestyle.....im not sure about my opinion now when you put it like that.......i dont know what to do at school tho.....im really worried people will think im homophobic and bitch and be mean about it :frown:

if they do just take it, apologise and say you didn't really think it through or see it from all angles

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending